Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

1 edit

1 recommendation

Sunny to ctggzg

to ctggzg

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

said by ctggzg:

1. People are attributing all kinds of completely unrelated issues/changes to firmware.
2. Why are people so excited about updating firmware that probably does nothing for them? It may be that it does nothing but add the open source credits. Regardless, if it was THAT important, Comcast wouldn't require you to find out about it on broadbandreports.com and then manually reset the modem.

About updating firmware on any equipment. These are my own rules, because I have seen new firmware cause problems not caught in a company's alpha/beta testing, but only after release to the general public.

1. I like to see enough reports from the public that the new firmware does no harm.
2. If possible, I like to know the reason(s) for the firmware revision, to determine if it really affects me.
3. In a case like this with my ISP upgrading modem firmware, I prefer not to be first kid on the block to take a chance on bricking my modem. I wait for them to push it, hoping they know what they are doing. If they kill my modem, then I have some grounds to request compensation.
4. I make sure my equipment is plugged into a UPS when attempting a firmware upgrade.

In this case, I waited. Comcast upgraded my modem when they were ready with no help on my end. So far, I see no harm done and am "perceiving" nothing gained.

YMMV

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

That is the kind of advice that almost any tech or engineer would agree with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(I just wish that I would always follow that same advice that I often give to others, and not be tempted by curiosity)

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

Still, you know the risks and you're ready to deal with them.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Sunny:

Still, you know the risks and you're ready to deal with them.

When dealing with a device where only the ISP can load the firmware, dealing with a bad firmware upgrade can be a PITA no matter how much experience the end user has.

That was the case back in May when I foolishly rebooted my SMCD3G to see for myself what all the commotion was about with the new firmware...that took my network offline twice, once for the original bad firmware load, and again when Comcast pushed the old firmware back because of the problems (and both cases required calling tech support because I no longer had access to the SMCD3G to even attempt to fix anything myself).

As you said in your earlier post, If Comcast is not actually pushing the firmware to the devices, it is always a good idea to wait and see what happens to the early takers (the leading edge is often the bleeding edge).
sendjunkmail
join:2008-08-01

sendjunkmail to Sunny

to Sunny
I take a similar approach but more willing to experiment. For example my new wireless router I am running beta firmware put out by the manufacturer's developers. Completely new interface, and offers a lot more control.

Besides assuring the open source community is getting it's due credit (shame on Motorola if they didn't before), aren't there a number of credible fixes in the new firmware? In fact we should have been running it a long time ago. Other ISPs pushed out the firmware more than a year ago. So they were more than cautious with Comcast.

Some of those may be security related etc. So in some cases the old engineering approach of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" may no longer apply when it comes to security or at least I evaluate if those issues impact me as part of the decision, some level of caution that others are reporting no issues.

In this case, you had no choice but to wait. If I had a choice to update my modem firmware I would have last year. If I fried it, then I accepted the risk by installing in the first place.