how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

Need help to Ping and/or tracert a website

My new email provider has been hit & miss with Send-ing (and I think Receive-ing too) email and I wonder if someone here would help me out by pinging and tracert-ing them via BB2G. Here's what I get, and the .where. at least look odd to me. If someone here could try these I'd really appreciate it:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows>ping smtpout.secureserver.net

Pinging smtpout.where.secureserver.net [173.201.192.229] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.201.192.229: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=109
Reply from 173.201.192.229: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=109
Reply from 173.201.192.229: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=109
Reply from 173.201.192.229: bytes=32 time=153ms TTL=109

Ping statistics for 173.201.192.229:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 145ms, Maximum = 177ms, Average = 161ms

C:\Windows>tracert smtpout.secureserver.net

Tracing route to smtpout.where.secureserver.net [64.202.165.58]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 ping smtpout.secureserver.net

Pinging smtpout.where.secureserver.net [64.202.165.58] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.202.165.58:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Windows>ping pop.secureserver.net

Pinging pop.where.secureserver.net [173.201.192.199] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.201.192.199: bytes=32 time=152ms TTL=109
Reply from 173.201.192.199: bytes=32 time=157ms TTL=109
Reply from 173.201.192.199: bytes=32 time=165ms TTL=109
Reply from 173.201.192.199: bytes=32 time=155ms TTL=109

Ping statistics for 173.201.192.199:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 152ms, Maximum = 165ms, Average = 157ms

C:\Windows>ping smtpout.secureserver.net

Pinging smtpout.where.secureserver.net [72.167.82.80] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 72.167.82.80:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

laserfan

Texas

Hmm, no help here. Well, FWIW it seems my problem might be the way BB2G is throttling post-5GB. It seems that something about communicating with secureserver.net is not happening correctly, and I'm getting timeout errors in Thunderbird.

I dread having to try to ask VM for help in troubleshooting this problem!

Today I exited the Throttling mode (new month) and it appears to once again be working reliably.

If anyone here has any knowledge/conjecture/wild guesses as to how VM does its throttling I'd love to hear. BTW secureserver.net uses SSL, which I've not used before and maybe that's a factor as well in communication timing.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

If anyone here has any knowledge/conjecture/wild guesses as to how VM does its throttling I'd love to hear. BTW secureserver.net uses SSL, which I've not used before and maybe that's a factor as well in communication timing.

I don't have a VM account active right now... next time your throttled setup a gmail account via imap/pop, whatever youre using with godaddy there, and see if it also acts the same. Will help you see if its the throttling or just the way they route to godaddy.

laserfan

Texas

said by dib22:

next time your throttled setup a gmail account via imap/pop, whatever youre using with godaddy there, and see if it also acts the same. Will help you see if its the throttling or just the way they route to godaddy.

Actually I have Hughesnet also, and so I would try ping and tracert and even telnet with secureserver.net and these would not work to secureserver.net when connnected via VM, but WOULD work when switched-over to HN satellite.

Today, unthrottled, pings and whatnot using BB2G look identical to those when I was using throttle-but-HN-connected. Throttled, VM was returning odd IP addresses, and different ones each time. Further, the "timed out" error was appearing virtually instantly suggesting a DNS problem. So I tried asserting OpenDNS, but VM won't let you use a different DNS. Heck maybe when you're throttled they route you through an entirely different part of their network--I have no idea.

And now I have to surf for 5GB before I can do any testing again!

I have asked Virgin for help with this but hold out little hope there, so if anyone here knows how Throttling is implemented by all means speak up...

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

Further, the "timed out" error was appearing virtually instantly suggesting a DNS problem. So I tried asserting OpenDNS, but VM won't let you use a different DNS. Heck maybe when you're throttled they route you through an entirely different part of their network--I have no idea.

Yes VM and in fact all spint cdma/evdo services re-direct dns.

If you have a cradlepoint router you can enable a bypass feature (advanced, webfilter, minimal or login, check the bypass option).

If you are just using a pc you can do a couple of things to get around their blind dns proxy... you can

1. try dns crypt by opendns and choose an alternate port (the option is called DNSCrypt over TCP/443) there is a mac client (rather stable) and a windows client (I've had issues with my firewall and it, but generally stable). you can grab it here: »www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/

2. setup your own dns proxy. the one that I played with the most was suggested by a user here and it is called "acrylic dns proxy" it is available here: »sourceforge.net/projects/acrylic/
and the alternate port to use for opendns is 5353

There are quite a few dns cache/proxies these days... the key to any of them is to just avoid the default dns port number (53) as that is what sprint is re-directing to their (slow overloaded) dns servers

Good Luck!

laserfan

Texas

1 recommendation

Thank you dib22; we had an exchange a year ago on DNS and I'd forgotten already!

I do have a CP router but had only tried entering OpenDNS's IPs under the VM WAN settings and that didn't work. I'd forgotten that the right way to do this was to set OpenDNS in the Web Filter area. Anyway I did so and when I try OpenDNS/welcome and grc's sites they say I'm good-to-go i.e. using OpenDNS now.

I don't know if this will solve my "problem when throttled" but will have to push my 5GB to get throttled again this month, if only for testing!