rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA

1 edit

rcnman

Premium Member

[TiVo] RCNUpdate : Where we are and where we are going :)

Hello Everyone,

It's been sometime since I've done a rant on where we are with the TiVo Platform, things have been hectic over here with some other projects as well with regards to VOD. But I wanted to share where we are:

Upgrade : Coming to All TiVo's. (D.C. is Next Week)

We are going to take all TiVo's to 20.2.1.2 from 14.9.2 over the next 45 days or so. What does this upgrade have in it :

New YouTube interface (LeanBack Interface)

YouTube has been overhauled and will have a new look and feel. Also YouTube will now show up on the TiVo Preview's in HDUI

Gride Guide and Live Guide are now in HD.

New Mini Guide

New Info Banners

Discovery Bar has been Overhauled.

Parental Controls are now in HDUI.

New Product Launches :

We have released two new exciting products :

(TiVo Quad Tuner) Standalone ,

The Quad tuner that was built into the Multi Room bundle is now offered by itself. It has 4 Tuners and 500GB drive and MOCA built in. If you have a existing premiere you can add a Quad (only if the Premiere is Hardwired) and we will enable MRS.

(Tivo Preview HD) Think of this as a HD Set-Top box with the TiVo guide and Interface. It has all the features of TiVo except the DVR functionality. (Thus YouTube , Pandora , Music etc..)

NEW TiVo VOD Interface

We are going to be bundling in a New VOD look and feel with the
new 20.2.1.2 client. This VOD interface has the ability to let you watch a preview of the movie before you order it, also has a HDUI look and feel to the VOD portal. It's very clean looking compared to the existing VOD portal.

Whats on the Radar :

Still Tracking a late August, (maybe mid September) this has slipped just a little . This would be the ability to set-up recordings from the Preview to the Quad within the Multi-Room Bundle. I'm still waiting to get a exact update from TiVo of where we stand but this will be in the 22.x Software release.

TiVo Stream : We are looking at supporting and offering the TiVo Stream which allows you to watch all DVR'd content on your IPAD / IPHONE. This isn't something thats going to happen anytime in the next couple months but we are looking at it.

TiVo IP STB :

We are looking at the possibly of adding the TiVo IP STB to our portfolio, This is a IP Set-Top box that does NOT have a cable card or a TUNER. It would allow you to put this small device in other rooms in the home and connect it via MOCA. It would allow you to stream any DVR's content to that TiVo and later it would have the ability to take over a Tuner from the Quad to allow you to watch live T.V. This is on the radar for LATE 2012 Early 2013

APPS APPS APPS :

We have pushed VERY hard on TiVo to deliver more applications that run on the TiVo Set-Top. Since launch we understand that we have lost a number of applications (FrameChannel, Yahoo Weather, Yahoo Traffic , One Tru Media , etc..) While we really have only launched Pandora which is a awesome app, we want to see more.. We have applied HEAVY pressure and received firm commitments from TiVo that they are going to be deploying more apps. I can't give details but they tie into :

Social Networking
Music
Games

I've seen some of the apps, and I'm excited.

Android and IPAD support : Recently TiVo Launched support for the Android OS. If you haven't downloaded and tried the TiVo APP for IPAD and or Andriod, I highly recommend it :

IPAD / IPHONE :

»www.tivo.com/mytivo/prod ··· dex.html

Android :

»www.tivo.com/mytivo/prod ··· dex.html

TV Everywhere :

Thats a entire other thread, but if you haven't seen we are in the works to deploy a TV Everywhere experience unlike any other.. For more reference please read the Press Release :

»pr.tivo.com/easyir/custo ··· stom_150

I hope that answers some of your questions and feel free to post back into this thread and I'll try to answer

Jason Nealis
V.P. Engineering / Operations
RCN

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

Re: RCN TiVo Update : Where we are and where we are going :)

said by rcnman:

APPS APPS APPS :

We have pushed VERY hard on TiVo to deliver more applications that run on the TiVo Set-Top. Since launch we understand that we have lost a number of applications (FrameChannel, Yahoo Weather, Yahoo Traffic , One Tru Media , etc..) While we really have only launched Pandora which is a awesome app, we want to see more.. We have applied HEAVY pressure and received firm commitments from TiVo that they are going to be deploying more apps. I can't give details but they tie into :

Social Networking
Music
Games

I've seen some of the apps, and I'm excited.

I'm excited about the potential here. It would be great to have a full-featured weather app that does a lot of things that the Weather Channel iPhone/iPad app does (extended forecast, weather radar, etc.)

I also have my fingers crossed for a Spotify app
jonbrach
join:2005-03-31
New York, NY

jonbrach

will we ever see a tivo everywhere that will allow you to take your ipad with you outside your home and access your tivo from a remote site?kind of like hbo go?

CBL B0X
@tmodns.net

CBL B0X

Anon

said by jonbrach:

will we ever see a tivo everywhere it will allow you to take your ipad with you outside your home and access your tivo from a remote site?kind of like hbo go?

Are you talking about streaming shows from your TiVo or accesing tv shows on demand. If its streaming I dont think they'll have a solution for that. If you want something like that, I'd suggest a sling box.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman to jonbrach

Premium Member

to jonbrach
said by jonbrach:

will we ever see a tivo everywhere that will allow you to take your ipad with you outside your home and access your tivo from a remote site?kind of like hbo go?

You never know where things will go, First Stop is the TiVo Stream and to get Stored Content then perhaps hopefully live content streaming to your devices (within) the home. Then from there you have to start looking at program rights , IP streaming rights per network. It all gets pretty crazy when you try to see what you can and can not do legally. I'd say at this point we want to get the stream working and stream in the home.

Jason
rcnman

rcnman

Premium Member

DC , You guys are still scheduled to download the code on 8/1 and if you don't manually reset your box it will reset on 8/2 and install the new Code..

moby21
join:2007-12-14
Bethlehem, PA

moby21

I would like to know how soon you plan on doing PA?
plmoraless
join:2012-07-18
Allentown, PA

plmoraless

Same here I would also appreciate any updates on the rollout in the Lehigh Valley market specifically Allentown. Thanks

grapkoski
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC

grapkoski to rcnman

Premium Member

to rcnman
Being the dork I am - I forced the update this morning around 6:30 EST before leaving for the gym and have to say I am pretty pleased. It may have been my timing but I didn't notice any changes to VOD interface - is that going to be pushed out separately?

jmirabella
Joe Mirabella
Premium Member
join:2003-10-20
Lanham, MD

jmirabella

Premium Member

the VOD interface was 'just' updated.. servers are being propagated to now and you should see the new look and feel in the next few hours.

robgraves
join:2010-07-23
Chicago, IL

robgraves to rcnman

to rcnman

Re: [TiVo] RCNUpdate : Where we are and where we are going :)

Jason,

If you add a standalone Q, can the premiere be wired via moca for MRS. Will MRS be active in the new TiVo software release?

Rob

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

said by robgraves:

Jason,

If you add a standalone Q, can the premiere be wired via moca for MRS. Will MRS be active in the new TiVo software release?

Rob

It's sorta not public, but yes MRS will be enabled. If it doesn't enable send me a PM and I'll turn it on. MRS will not work or be enabled if you have any wireless adapters on the account.

borredo
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Fort Mill, SC

borredo to rcnman

Premium Member

to rcnman
Thanks Jason. I just downloaded the TIVO app for my iPad. That is really cool!
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1 to rcnman

to rcnman
Jason, is SeaChange Cardio the software behind your new VOD interface?

»abea-25rzg1.client.share ··· D=700653

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

Yes , We were the first customer and have had it deployed since we launched TiVo here @ RCN.

shapley
@heitmanfinancial.de

shapley

Anon

Hi Jason - I have a couple of questions that I'm sure you will have answers to!

Now that you are offering a standalone Quad, you are saying that you could use an existing premiere in another room as long as it is hardwired. If I currently have a MOCA bridge in my bedroom, would I be able to connect a Premiere, or does it really have to be hardwired? Also, would I be able to connect the Premiere (non-RCN) without putting monthly service on it from TiVo, basically just using it as a streaming device similar to the Preview? We currently have a Preview in the bedroom, and it just isn't currently meeting all of our needs.

My second question is whether there are plans to add the ability to play a group of shows from the Preview like you can from any regular TiVo. For example, if you have 8 episodes of Seinfeld that you want to play consecutively, you can do that on the Q, but you can't do it on the Preview.

Thank you for everything you do on these boards, and thank you in advance for reading my questions.
Komosatp
join:2006-10-30
Washington, DC

Komosatp to rcnman

to rcnman
said by rcnman:

TiVo Stream : We are looking at supporting and offering the TiVo Stream which allows you to watch all DVR'd content on your IPAD / IPHONE. This isn't something thats going to happen anytime in the next couple months but we are looking at it.

Is it really *all* content or is copy-protected stuff that can't be moved from box to box, etc., still off limits?

I just read the Wall Street Journal's review (»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· ewsThird) of the Stream today and it sounds cool. It would move from cool to *awesome and must-have* if movies from premium channels could be downloaded to my ipad for when I travel.

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

said by Komosatp:

Is it really *all* content or is copy-protected stuff that can't be moved from box to box, etc., still off limits?

I just read the Wall Street Journal's review (»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· ewsThird) of the Stream today and it sounds cool. It would move from cool to *awesome and must-have* if movies from premium channels could be downloaded to my ipad for when I travel.

It is my understanding that you will be able to stream all content to an iPad or iPhone, but you won't be able to copy restricted material to these devices.

Dawk2012
@rcn.com

Dawk2012 to shapley

Anon

to shapley
How do you play a group of shows together ? I have a Tivo Premiere
mbrister
join:2012-09-02
Chicago, IL

1 edit

mbrister to rcnman

to rcnman
Jason, I was wondering if you could tell me when Chicago will be getting the 20.2.1.2 Tivo update?
Robstercraw
join:2012-07-15

Robstercraw to rcnman

to rcnman
Couple of questions:

Android App: I downloaded the android app for my galaxy S3. The android app sees my retail premier and the Q, but it says "not available" on the RCN Q. Retail works fine with android tivo app. From my IPAD and Iphone, the retail and Q work fine.

Streaming etc:Xfinity has their awesome app that lets you view the content on your DVR or from them directly via broadband when you are not at home. When is RCN going to have this?