Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to xenophon

Re: Price?

"Am hoping this raises the value of my condo (I'm in a target area). "

EPB didn't help raise my home value. It's not really a metric that's going to have much of an impact on what a home costs, at least for how.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to Cobra11M

said by Cobra11M:

very true.., suddenlink redirects you to their own search engine... its uses dns.. but still to say that google is the only one to do this is beyond ridiculous suddenlink does and im sure more do, I would careless and prob be more comfortable with google saleing my info then the likes of the cable co (that don't make as much as goog)

I'm comfortable with it too because there is plenty of information out their that honestly explains what Google does with the data. There is a huge difference that some people ignore. Google is selling statistics based on data collected from users, most others are just selling the data itself because there's no value in the short term for data collected over long periods of time.

Even ignoring the isp part it's funny to see people always blaming google when they never cry about your typical web page that has numerous 3rd party tracking bugs that all collect data and send it to companies that are not the owner of the websites being visited.
--
Say no to astroturfing. actions > Ignore Author

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to xenophon

Here's the problem, it increases they general value of the area some, but if every house has it then the value of every house doesn't rise much. (it was very MtView for them to ascert that it would raise the value $5k on each house, thats why most small 3 bedroom homes have been upgraded in similar ways in that area.
everyone has a hottub or small pool tile or cedar( which doesn't last there) roofs, flagstone patio, granite kitchen and so on.
If you follow the MUST HAVE list your little house is worth $1.1-2 million, trouble is you can't move to a cheaper one without leaving the area, a NOBODY would dare leave the silly valley.
Broadband alone won't attract many desirable* people.

*spammers and pervs are waiting to see if google will drop a dime on them, if not KC might be a worse place to be.

Houstonian

@seismicexchange.com
reply to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

TV and 1gbps internet for $120.
1gbps internet for $70.

Install fee = $300 (waived if you sign for 2 years).

Not ready for the speed? get your house wired for $300 and get 5mpbs internet for 7 years at no cost.

"Up to one gigabit upload & download • No data caps • 1 year contract • $300 waived construction fee
Network Box included • 1TB Google Drive • $70/mo + taxes & fees"

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to battleop

They haven't announced business pricing. My bet is that it's lower than equivalent services from TWC, AT&T and SureWest but above their cost of providing service.

Then again, they effectively don't have to pay for bandwidth at this point, they built their own equipment, etc.

Look at what Iliad is doing in France. They aren't pricing in a predatory manner. They just have lower costs.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

"Then again, they effectively don't have to pay for bandwidth at this point"

There is no such thing as free bandwidth.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to iansltx

One of the articles mentioned they are not targeting large business. Though they will allow some small biz.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to battleop

There isn't, this is true. However they already paid for whatever transit they have to service their server farms, and thus have a huge amount of capacity available in the other direction, downstream.

Yes, Google has to pay for fiber IRUs etc., but again this is something that they are paying for anyway for the main side of their business.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to xenophon

Makes perfect sense. Large businesses already have options in KC that are fast, albeit expensive. Small businesses, the type that would be grabbing a TWC business class cable connection, are probably what Google wants to serve on that side of things.

xenophon

Google's terms says you are not allowed to run web servers on the network or any server that involves a lot of outside connections - personal use probably OK. I imagine if they do allow small biz, it would also be under those terms.

xenophon

More on Google and Businesses...

»www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b···-to.html