spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

telco fantasy

Obviously, nothing about telephony in this presentation.. $120 for internet and basic video only. This or a variation of this google rollout is what Verizon's FIOS would have been (couldn've should've, etc) had they not strayed from the path into investor greed, stock holder revolt, management micromanaging and white collar corporate parachutes & ladders, franchise dictatorships (my-way or the highway), cherry picking, selling out copper geographies, etc...

I dunno, a measly 5 megabits for free? If anything, they should have it at the fastest of what's offered by telco & cableco in the area as a demonstration of the difference between innovation and getting robbed by your (former) incumbents. Apparently, they are concerned about apathy to subscribe and PAY so the difference in speed has to be "VASTLY" faster vs 15, 25, 100 megabit for free. Why pay for gigablt when what you would pay $40, $50, $100 w/ an former incubment is free.. and that's my only complaint.. other than that, Kudos..

Nevertheless, if anyone (Kansas City or not) wants and Ooma for telephone... You'd think they'd throw in google voice integration for free if you buy internet or internet+video... NO?

»go.ooma.com/referral//?r ··· =WEZ4487

iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Re: telco fantasy

My guess is that Google assumes your landline has been gone for ages at this point, unless it's required for you to get DSL. No sense in offering a voice package when you can get voice over the cellular network at reasonable prices from four-plus competitors (three of whom now have LTE networks in KC).

Also, they've gotta make money somehow on their plans...that's why you aren't seeing a higher-speed free tier. For the first year that 5 Mbps will cost about the same as AT&T's latest cheap DSL offer at a comparable speed. Then after that year people decide they want more than just a single stream of HD Netflix and call/upgrade to gigabit. Everyone wins.
FloridaBoy
join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL

FloridaBoy to tmc8080

to tmc8080
There was a slight difference. Verizon does have a second network they have to deal with as well as 90k employees to support as well as a large number of retirees they support as well.

How many people are being hired by google to run this thing in KC??
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080
The 5/1 plan is pretty savvy.

The official top tier for AT&T DSL is 6/0.5. Those in the know remember that at one time parts of the AT&T network could sign up for 6/0.75. With some investment AT&T could have offered 6.0/1.2. Subtract 17% for overhead and you get 5/1. So Google is offering a rough equivalent of the maximum AT&T can do with DSL.

The biggest cable company, Comcast, offers 5 to 1 ratio services using DOCSIS 3.0. 100/20 and 50/10 services. The new 300Mbps service will likely have a 60Mbps upload. So Google is matching what the existing cable down/up ratio can reasonably be at this time, 5/1.

The net cost of the service is about $5/month for 60 months of service, $300, which is the installation fee. Few cable companies offers service at that speed tier, for that price, without caps. Why do I say 60 months instead of 84 months? Because I think they are going to have more delays in actually connecting customers than they anticipate and the delays will come out of the supposed 7 year service time frame. It still would be an amazing deal that directly challenges the politically negotiated low income digital divide reduction deals, like ComcastNBC's, that are supposedly so generous. With Google Fiber you do not need to prove your children are in the free school lunch program to get the 5/1. You do not need to have children to take advantage of the 5/1.

The other advantage is to offer a better value than the community groups that wanted to deploy mesh networked WiFi for some areas in the two Kansas Cities to help low income residents would have offered. A household with a dedicated 5/1 fiber connection with no caps for $5 month has a better value than a meshed multihop WiFi connection shared among 10,000 households for free. That free service would be 1Mbps symmetrical only on a good day with very limited hops and light usage. More likely it would be 0.1Mbps during high usage times of the day.