Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

Re: Price?

said by xenophon:

Here are all of the rates..

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/

Google swallowing costs beyond the income they get. These wouldn't be the prices if their main business would be as an ISP.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by FFH5:

said by xenophon:

Here are all of the rates..

»fiber.google.com/plans/r ··· dential/

Google swallowing costs beyond the income they get. These wouldn't be the prices if their main business would be as an ISP.

You can bet that what you are paying is a token fee and they will recoup the rest from data mining and advertising. Google is an advertising company. They aint doing this for free!

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

You can bet that what you are paying is a token fee and they will recoup the rest from data mining and advertising. Google is an advertising company. They aint doing this for free!

No different than any other isp who snoops or redirects customer network requests that are not encrypted.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by firephoto:

said by fifty nine:

No different than any other isp who snoops or redirects customer network requests that are not encrypted.

Very much different. This is Google we are talking about here, not some piddly little cable company.

firephoto
Premium Member
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

said by firephoto:

said by fifty nine:

Very much different. This is Google we are talking about here, not some piddly little cable company.

No, it is different. I give (or don't) my information to google. If I don't encrypt my network requests the isp snoops any or all traffic.

No changes, default settings from the isp, type in a wrong or possibly not right address and you get a isp page offering up some advice.

Hate google all you want but please do not distort the facts.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by firephoto:

No, it is different. I give (or don't) my information to google. If I don't encrypt my network requests the isp snoops any or all traffic.

I'm not aware of any ISP that uses my laptop as a mobile data collection station. Google does exactly this with their Android smartphones, tablets, street view cars, etc. If you don't disable the location settings (and they are helpfully enabled by default) your Android phone sits in the background collecting data on every wireless network within range and adding it to Google's database.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by firephoto:

said by fifty nine:

you kiddin me.. cable co's are starting to be just as noosy.. on every search you can think of, they love the idea of saleing user data to get more profits..

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to FFH5

to FFH5
If AT&T or Comcast did this it would be called predatory pricing. Google will pretty much run every single small service provider out of the market and probably out of business.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to firephoto

to firephoto
said by firephoto:

No changes, default settings from the isp, type in a wrong or possibly not right address and you get a isp page offering up some advice.

Hate google all you want but please do not distort the facts.

very true.., suddenlink redirects you to their own search engine... its uses dns.. but still to say that google is the only one to do this is beyond ridiculous suddenlink does and im sure more do, I would careless and prob be more comfortable with google saleing my info then the likes of the cable co (that don't make as much as goog)

firephoto
Premium Member
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

said by Cobra11M:

very true.., suddenlink redirects you to their own search engine... its uses dns.. but still to say that google is the only one to do this is beyond ridiculous suddenlink does and im sure more do, I would careless and prob be more comfortable with google saleing my info then the likes of the cable co (that don't make as much as goog)

I'm comfortable with it too because there is plenty of information out their that honestly explains what Google does with the data. There is a huge difference that some people ignore. Google is selling statistics based on data collected from users, most others are just selling the data itself because there's no value in the short term for data collected over long periods of time.

Even ignoring the isp part it's funny to see people always blaming google when they never cry about your typical web page that has numerous 3rd party tracking bugs that all collect data and send it to companies that are not the owner of the websites being visited.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to battleop

to battleop
They haven't announced business pricing. My bet is that it's lower than equivalent services from TWC, AT&T and SureWest but above their cost of providing service.

Then again, they effectively don't have to pay for bandwidth at this point, they built their own equipment, etc.

Look at what Iliad is doing in France. They aren't pricing in a predatory manner. They just have lower costs.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"Then again, they effectively don't have to pay for bandwidth at this point"

There is no such thing as free bandwidth.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to iansltx

to iansltx
One of the articles mentioned they are not targeting large business. Though they will allow some small biz.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to battleop

to battleop
There isn't, this is true. However they already paid for whatever transit they have to service their server farms, and thus have a huge amount of capacity available in the other direction, downstream.

Yes, Google has to pay for fiber IRUs etc., but again this is something that they are paying for anyway for the main side of their business.
iansltx

iansltx to xenophon

to xenophon
Makes perfect sense. Large businesses already have options in KC that are fast, albeit expensive. Small businesses, the type that would be grabbing a TWC business class cable connection, are probably what Google wants to serve on that side of things.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Google's terms says you are not allowed to run web servers on the network or any server that involves a lot of outside connections - personal use probably OK. I imagine if they do allow small biz, it would also be under those terms.
xenophon

xenophon

More on Google and Businesses...

»www.bizjournals.com/kans ··· -to.html
« WowGoogle Price Innovation »
This is a sub-selection from Price?