Search similar:

uniqs

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

REDLINING!

wonder how many of the poorest neighborhoods are going to get to the front of the line?
quote:
As for future deployments, Google says they're going to continue building out the service in Kansas City wherever the company sees the most interest
quote:
local residents going to the Google website to pre-register and pay a $10 fee. Communities that rally the most locals will get new deployments earlier
So basically, you need to have enough people in your area give them a $10 bribe in order to get service. Imagine the outrage here if a Telco/CableCo did that
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Telcos/cablecos have franchise agreements. It wouldn't just be an outrage. It would be illegal.
iansltx

iansltx to kontos

to kontos
Also, Google is only asking 5-10% of an area to sign on. They aren't even guaranteeing that they'll make their investment back at that level.

I mean, they have to have some people ready to sign up for their service when it becomes available. Otherwise the network deployment is a failure in that area.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to kontos

to kontos
seems most are already over the min needed and the rest are VERY close and that was in just 24 hours
so give a month and my guess all the areas will at the min needed

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to kontos

Premium Member

to kontos
said by kontos:

So basically, you need to have enough people in your area give them a $10 bribe in order to get service. Imagine the outrage here if a Telco/CableCo did that

Well Google just set a president. How can a town now want TPC to buy the mayor a pool and wire the great unwashed first?

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Telcos/cablecos have franchise agreements. It wouldn't just be an outrage. It would be illegal.

Exactly!

I remember Verizon getting into legal hot water over this exact thing.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Andy from CA:

said by iansltx:

Exactly!

I remember Verizon getting into legal hot water over this exact thing.

This is why Verizon stopped deploying FiOS. In New Jersey Verizon had to wire every hood in the state to get a state wide TV franchise. Very expensive and nobody signed up.

If towns gave Verizon the deal they gave Google FiOS would have been profitable.

The real butt kicker is when one signs up for Google Fiber one has to agree to the same TOS as if they were using Google Earth or Youtube. Google gets to watch every click you make and can use it any way they want.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

If you're paranoid about Google's use of that information, grab a VPN. Heck, I'll bet that if you get a VPN that's run on a server in one of the (several) KC data centers you won't even have a latency penalty, though speeds might not be as fast as the direct gigabit.