scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido to xnetdealer

Premium Member

to xnetdealer

Re: still WISP or highspeed available in Flamborough

You only have that many from buying out other wisps with the government grant money you get. If you didn't have grants you would be just like all other wisps. Most of those customers were forced to go with xplornet like when you bought out Everest. Your didn't earn these customers you bought them with our tax dollars. When a local wisp starts up 80 percent jump from xplornet and are so thankful that a real caring local provider has arrived
xnetdealer
join:2012-07-20

xnetdealer

Wrong. Period. End.
funny_one
Previously known as 'Deadpool'
join:2010-11-01

funny_one to scorpido

to scorpido
said by scorpido:

You only have that many from buying out other wisps with the government grant money you get. If you didn't have grants you would be just like all other wisps. Most of those customers were forced to go with xplornet like when you bought out Everest. Your didn't earn these customers you bought them with our tax dollars. When a local wisp starts up 80 percent jump from xplornet and are so thankful that a real caring local provider has arrived

That's like saying Bell only exists because of gov't funding! LOL

Ah, the uneducated relying on rumours and second-hand info...hilarious!
scorpido
Premium Member
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

I never said that they wouldn't exist I just said they word be just as big as any either wisp.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to funny_one

Anon

to funny_one
said by funny_one:

said by scorpido:

That sure was the case with Fed money and Provincial money in certain area's of Canada. For example, PEI and Bruce Country.
funny_one

funny_one to scorpido

to scorpido
said by scorpido:

I never said that they wouldn't exist I just said they word be just as big as any either wisp.

Not true, considering the (almost) $1B in PRIVATE funding they've received over the last few years.

I don't see any other WISP's getting that kind of funding...

Do you actually believe the Gov't has given Xplornet enough money to pay for two new sattelite's, which probably cost about $250M each?

The EORN project alone is probably only worth $100M - IN TOTAL - and that's for the entire project end-to-end (last mile, backhaul, etc...).
funny_one

funny_one to hm

to hm
said by hm :

said by funny_one:

said by scorpido:

That sure was the case with Fed money and Provincial money in certain area's of Canada. For example, PEI and Bruce Country.

If I recall the press-releases, those projects are only 50% funded by the Fed and Province. The other 50% is fronted by Xplornet.

And those are project costs only.

Xplornet still has to spend money above that on marketing, support, employees, etc...

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

I wonder what these small wisps can do with 30-million dollars handed to them with no need to pay it back?

Hmm....

I wonder if they would throttle, charge usage after a gig or two, require contracts, and say 900-gigasecond ping is normal?

Things that make you go Hmm....
xnetdealer

xnetdealer

said by hmm :

I wonder what these small wisps can do with 30-million dollars handed to them with no need to pay it back?

Hmm....

I wonder if they would throttle, charge usage after a gig or two, require contracts, and say 900-gigasecond ping is normal?

Huh?

First, in your hypothetical example these small wisps would need to come up with $30mil of their own, or their own investors, money to match the funds to construct the network. Then they would have to fund the ongoing operation of that network for the years that it takes to get to a position where they are making an operating profit. They would have to hire the customer service staff, engineers, network technicians, accountants, etc etc to make it all tick.

It's tough to scale a network to cover huge areas from a driveshed. Again, NOT that I'm saying a lot of WISPs don't do good work, they do. But left to small operators the job would NEVER get done. Never mind the huge NLOS percentages on any wireless network, where Satellite is vital.

And show me useage that is charged after a gig or two? The most popular package is $49.99 for 20GB, $59.99 on Satellite (at least in this area). And we've already discussed the latency. It's a fact of life for the lowest density and most obstructed locations.

As for not needing to pay it back, that's what a subsidy is. Nobody is denying that it's a subsidy. Xplornet submits RFP responses and competes like any other company.

Do you begrudge the WISP's that recieved Broadband Canada or Rural Connections funding? Ie. Storm, Execulink, Silo Wireless...
funny_one

funny_one to hmm

to hmm
said by hmm :

Hmm....

Checking Xplornet's website, their usage caps are MUCH higher than a gig or two...

In fact, their 5 Mbps WiMAX service has a higher bandwidth cap then Bell now! LOL

Although that speaks more to Bell...

That aside, Sat/FW technology requires throttling to deal with airlink and IP congestion (both of which are expected on any network). If you're not using 100% of your capacity, then you're not making money.

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

I was referring to Bell and Telus when they pulled this in PEI and Bruce county.

But yeah, xplorenet is no different.
scorpido
Premium Member
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido to funny_one

Premium Member

to funny_one
Xplornet does not own the satellites. Ever heard of wild blue or hughesnet. Or galaxy broadband. Xplornet just shares space on that sat thanks to an agreement with telesat which happens to be government funded if not maybe even a crown corporation but don't quote me on that one. US smaller wisps get beat out by xplornet in wireless funding because of xplornets big promises which never are delivered on. Just as poor Wellington centre who gave the contract to xplornet only to now have xnet closing accesspoints and people complaining that they never get the speed they pay for. I not bad mouthing xplornet I'm just restating actual facts and comments I have heard as we as having being a dealer for xplornet for 5 months before getting sick of the lies they would tell potential customers and never delivering what thwh promoted.
scorpido

scorpido to hmm

Premium Member

to hmm
Wow Xnetdealer cant you just feel the love....lol

hmm
@videotron.ca

hmm

Anon

said by scorpido:

Wow Xnetdealer cant you just feel the love....lol

It isn't a matter of love or hate.

But when someone intimidates someone else (like what this guy did to you), or gives thinly veiled threats (like what this guy did to you) to shut you up by trying to intimidate you. Then one has to view the whole thing with rose coloured glasses.

Xplorenet is a piece of shit. And this guy is apparently speaking this shit on their behalf.

No ground? Seriously? That is the rumour? Tsk, Tsk,

There is right and there is wrong. Intimidating someone for sharing what the heard is wrong. It doesn't even pass the giggle test.

But hey, we are all forgiving people. Maybe xnetdealer was just hurt. I mean this happens. And maybe he said stuff out of anger. This happens.

But, there is no excuse for trying to intimidate and insinuate they will be sued for speaking about what he heard though the grapevine.

The decent thing for xnetdealer to do is to apologies and leave it at that.

Reminds me of when I was onto what was going on with Bruce county and a moron there tried to insinuate I was going to be sued and telling me to more or less shut my mouth about it.

»Bruce County. No competiton for you

This is no different.

Matter of fact I would giggle if they tried to sue me.

The whole thing doesn't pass muster and it was easy to see.

xnetdealer, as much as you feel hurt, you should retract that. Or go full out and sue this guy and sue me as well. Otherwise maybe you should shut your face with the thinly veiled threats?

What do you think?
xnetdealer

xnetdealer

Oh geez, really? I wasn't "threatening" anyone. Don't take yourself so seriously. All I'm doing to correcting erroneous information from somebody who is only too happy to spread false information and rumors for his own gain.

Gotta love the Internet... hope you're keeping cool under your bridge good sir.
xnetdealer

xnetdealer to scorpido

to scorpido
said by scorpido:

Xplornet does not own the satellites. Ever heard of wild blue or hughesnet. Or galaxy broadband. Xplornet just shares space on that sat thanks to an agreement with telesat which happens to be government funded if not maybe even a crown corporation but don't quote me on that one. US smaller wisps get beat out by xplornet in wireless funding because of xplornets big promises which never are delivered on. Just as poor Wellington centre who gave the contract to xplornet only to now have xnet closing accesspoints and people complaining that they never get the speed they pay for. I not bad mouthing xplornet I'm just restating actual facts and comments I have heard as we as having being a dealer for xplornet for 5 months before getting sick of the lies they would tell potential customers and never delivering what thwh promoted.

Actual facts:
1) Xplornet leases the capacity on the Satellite, and in the case of Viasat1 and the new Echostar satellite leases 100% of the Canadian capacity on each, to the tune of a $100 million commitment to each Satellite over it's life. Galaxy is also a reseller of the older Hughes Satellites, but not the new ones. They seem to be focusing more in enterprise these days.
2) Xplornet does lease (at least I think it's structured as a lease) the Viasat1 capacity from Telesat, but the gov't does not own Telesat and had nothing to do with the agreement. Xplornet actually leased the space from Loral, who manufactured the Satellite for Viasat. Telesat then bought the Canadian Capacity (along with the lease agreement with Xplornet) from Loral. Viasat also owns Wildblue, who provide service on the Viasat1 Satellite (wiith packages that most would agree are significantly poorer value than what Xplornet offers. Hughes owns the Echostar Satellite and will offer service in the US once it is in commercial service later this year.
3) Telesat is owned by Loral and the Canadian Public Sector Pension Investment Board. not by the Federal Gov't. Telesat was previously owned by BCE
4) Did Bluwest ever apply for Broadband Canada or Rural Connections funding? (I guess this is a question, not a fact).
5) Wellington Centre did not apply for nor recieve Rural Connections funding, the County of Wellington did, and Xplornet has built an impressive network covering the vast majority of same.
6) Fact: You are badmouthing Xplornet, and while you may be restating "things you've heard", you well know that not all "things you hear" are facts, as you claim they are.

Those sir, are facts (with the possible exception of #4). Your comments are by and large rumors and opinions.

I really want this thread to die, I'm tired of it but I can't stand by and watch as rumors and lies are flung about.
sturbain
join:2012-03-05
Niagara Falls, ON

sturbain

xnetdealer is exactly correct.
scorpido
Premium Member
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

Can you be more direct on what xnetdealer is exactly correct about as thats a pretty general statement,