uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

[Serious] HBC to close most of remaining Zellers stores

They do not say how many of 64 just most.

»www.cp24.com/hudson-s-ba ··· 1l3tBB10

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

So much for Canada having a discount department store. Looks like Zellers is going they of Bargain Harolds, The Bargain Shop (which really was not much more then a glorifed Dollar store),Biway, and a host of others.

Wolfie007
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie007 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I normally never go to Zeller's but I passed through one a few weeks ago on my way out of the mall, partly out of curiosity because of the huge signs announcing the store-closing clearance sale. It was kind of interesting because literally everything was for sale. The store restaurant was full of restaurant-grade kitchen equipment, for instance, and the tables and chairs were for sale, and when you went up to the checkout, the checkout counter and the cash register were for sale, too!

I didn't buy them, but there's something pretty cool about going up to the checkout counter and buying it!
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Biway.

Biway, that is one store I was not sorry to see go tits up. I'll never forget the time the store manager for the Argyle Mall location was incredibly rude to me when I asked about something in the store. I walked out and never looked back.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by LondonOntGuy:

said by elwoodblues:

Biway.

Biway, that is one store I was not sorry to see go tits up. I'll never forget the time the store manager for the Argyle Mall location was incredibly rude to me when I asked about something in the store. I walked out and never looked back.

I forgot Consumers Distributing too.
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy

Consumers.... Bit of a rant coming up.

I remember saving my allowance for two months to get this 'Bad Dudes' arcade tabletop game they had in their catalog. The picture made it look like it was just like the arcade game, similar to those Coleco games from the early 80's. When I got it home it was NOTHING like the photo in the least bit. Instead of it being like the arcade game, you were one of the Dudes standing in a room shooting fireballs out of your head at random ninjas. It wasn't colour either. The generic looking box should have been the first dead giveaway that it wasn't the arcade game, but being a little kid, I didn't think much of it at the time.

Took me all of ten minutes to say 'fuck this' before I returned it.

To say it was false advertising, that would be a huge understatement.

But at least to their credit they didn't give me any hassles when I wanted to return it. I remember the lady saying that they've gotten quite a few of them returned for the same reason.

I think if a store like Consumers were to open today with walk-in catalog shopping and online orders, they'd do much better.

Bargain Shop, I am kind of on the fence about. There's one in Galleria which I go to sometimes if I don't feel like taking a bus to Wallymart or get off work and need something right away(I work at the Convention Centre, across from the mall). I've heard that they want to expand. If that's true, more power to them. I prefer them over Giant Tiger, which is incredibly tacky IMO.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

So much for Canada having a discount department store. Looks like Zellers is going they of Bargain Harolds, The Bargain Shop (which really was not much more then a glorifed Dollar store),Biway, and a host of others.

discount my ass. I stopped in one that was closing even with the so called discounts the prices still forking sucked. no wonder they're going belly up.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB

Premium Member

said by TOPDAWG:

said by elwoodblues:

discount my ass. I stopped in one that was closing even with the so called discounts the prices still forking sucked. no wonder they're going belly up.

I agree. When they had their store closing sale here, they were advertising like 30-50% off everything, but when I walked In, 95% of the stuff was only 10% off. Half the time, stuff there was overpriced on a regular day, and their sale prices were not much better. It was fairly rarely I could find in there what I was looking for and had to go elsewhere. I for one won't miss it, and can't wait for the one by the house to be reopened into Walmart. (And before the anti-walmart crowd chimes in, I find Walmart much better than Zellers ever was)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Sorry, but I found some very good deals in the store closings .
I do think they jacked up the retail to MSRP before discounting though.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
i thought all the Zellers were gone with the Target deal...i didn't know some were going to still be around...seems silly to have them...they will likely be the dumping ground for the Bay...all the leftover crap will get "sold off" in Zellers stores.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB

Premium Member

Yea, just the ones Target and Walmart didn't want.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i thought all the Zellers were gone with the Target deal...i didn't know some were going to still be around...seems silly to have them...they will likely be the dumping ground for the Bay...all the leftover crap will get "sold off" in Zellers stores.

I was thinking the same thing, it's rather expensive to keep an infrastructure such as distribution, advertising, buying etc for 64 stores.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I forgot Consumers Distributing too.

They're coming back, or so they say.

»www.niagarafallsreview.c ··· ra-falls

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to donoreo

to donoreo
I found Zellers sold/sells the same cheap Made in China crap as
Walmart. You really have to dig around in Walmart to find the
China made items that are mid-quality.

The Target stores in the USA sure have some great bargains. I
bought some cotton athletic shorts...British brand but made in the
USA for $9/pair.

My X had a gold Cross pen. The cheapest she could find refills was
about $3.95 each up here. She bought a box of 10 refills for $14.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I like Target. It reminds me of what Zellers used to be up here. Zellers now is just a version of K-Mart where the same cheap shit costs more money.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The Bargain Shop! is still around...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

»goo.gl/maps/aq0J

Such a delightful part of Welland.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to LondonOntGuy

to LondonOntGuy
said by LondonOntGuy:

Consumers.... Bit of a rant coming up.

I remember saving my allowance for two months to get this 'Bad Dudes' arcade tabletop game they had in their catalog. The picture made it look like it was just like the arcade game, similar to those Coleco games from the early 80's. When I got it home it was NOTHING like the photo in the least bit. Instead of it being like the arcade game, you were one of the Dudes standing in a room shooting fireballs out of your head at random ninjas. It wasn't colour either. The generic looking box should have been the first dead giveaway that it wasn't the arcade game, but being a little kid, I didn't think much of it at the time.

Took me all of ten minutes to say 'fuck this' before I returned it.

To say it was false advertising, that would be a huge understatement.

But at least to their credit they didn't give me any hassles when I wanted to return it. I remember the lady saying that they've gotten quite a few of them returned for the same reason.

I think if a store like Consumers were to open today with walk-in catalog shopping and online orders, they'd do much better.

Bargain Shop, I am kind of on the fence about. There's one in Galleria which I go to sometimes if I don't feel like taking a bus to Wallymart or get off work and need something right away(I work at the Convention Centre, across from the mall). I've heard that they want to expand. If that's true, more power to them. I prefer them over Giant Tiger, which is incredibly tacky IMO.

Haha, I completely forgot about that crappy store. I remember there was one on Glendale St. Across from the Pen Center Mall in St. Catharines.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

»goo.gl/maps/aq0J

Don't forget Crystal Beach.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

For some reason I thought it was in Ridgeway and couldn't find it on their list of stores (as it was my intention to use that streetview rather than Welland) and gave up.

Ridgeway, Crystal Beach, whatever. It's all the same crap.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

»goo.gl/maps/aq0J

Right next to Dollarama! I like Dollarama. I stopped yesterday to get some goodie bag stuff for the girls birthday party. They now have the $3 items. This includes a box of Durex condoms Sorry, did not see how many are in it.

For party stuff, dollar stores are great.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

I like Target. It reminds me of what Zellers used to be up here. Zellers now is just a version of K-Mart where the same cheap shit costs more money.

I wonder if Target will even have good prices or will they pull the old high cdn price crap.

GT BABY
@rogers.com

GT BABY to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
what about giant tiger, gotta love gt man

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

I wonder if Target will even have good prices or will they pull the old high cdn price crap.

I suspect that they see us as a 'target' ripe for the milking just like every other US retailer does. Don't expect to see any of their stateside prices up here.

But, if it's anything like it is in the US, it'll be a nice story to go to with higher-quality items than you find at Walmart or Zellers now. I'm kind of relieved to see Zellers being put out of its misery and replaced with a better store, but I'm not about to start driving to the Target in Niagara Falls when the one in North Buffalo is not only cheaper, but also a heck of a lot closer.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

»goo.gl/maps/aq0J

Right next to Dollarama! I like Dollarama. I stopped yesterday to get some goodie bag stuff for the girls birthday party. They now have the $3 items. This includes a box of Durex condoms Sorry, did not see how many are in it.

You bought condoms for your girl's birthday party goodie bags?

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by DKS:

You bought condoms for your girl's birthday party goodie bags?

Not until their....30th...maybe

I was getting butterfly nets and bug keepers.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

They now have the $3 items. This includes a box of Durex condoms Sorry, did not see how many are in it.

I'd be really leary about buying discounted condoms...
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

They now have the $3 items. This includes a box of Durex condoms Sorry, did not see how many are in it.

You have to watch out for fake condoms.

Because the Durex brand is well known, counterfeiters often put that name on their fakes.

Here, for example:
»www.whatsonningbo.com/ne ··· ang.html

It is ironic that the accused man is named Huang.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to LondonOntGuy

Premium Member

to LondonOntGuy
said by LondonOntGuy:

Not a surprise provided they have decent prices and service. Their retail concept is pretty much proven. In fact NCIX stores work pretty much the same way with the exception that the catalog is now the website.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

For some reason I thought it was in Ridgeway and couldn't find it on their list of stores (as it was my intention to use that streetview rather than Welland) and gave up.

Ridgeway, Crystal Beach, whatever. It's all the same crap.

The IGA it replaced wasn't much more inspiring.