how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to QuantumPimp

Re: How to get Bell to fix problems with POTS line?

said by QuantumPimp:

In the end Bell did a fantastic job finding and fixing the problems. After each support call Bell showed up the next day. I felt like royalty

POTS is classified as a mandated essential service so repair requirements for it are much tighter than most other consumer services.

llort

@rogers.com
reply to RickStep

said by RickStep:

said by Glen1:

Many times what I will do is "replace something" on a frequent trouble like this. I would replace the outside wire or "drop" on spec or the cable pair...something that I know could cause the trouble. Hopefully doing so . . .

I agree with Glen1.

If you wait to catch / trap an intermittent problem it can take months.

Once you get into the second service call (unresolved) and the information from the customer is “manifested itself as "scratchy" noise they hear on the phone and a loss of Bell dsl service”; the best way to resolve the issue is to eliminate a potential issue by doing something.

If there are (hypothetically) 20 possible causes; checking, changing or replacing 1, 2 or 3; devices and wiring; the problem has to be within the area that has not been checked or changed out.

Doing nothing on 4 – 5 service calls resolves nothing and increases Bell’s end costs because Bell has to resolve the problem eventually.

said by llort :

said by Anonymuss :

Buried wire in an aerial environment for cosmetic reasons is considered CPE, and is the customers responsibility, so let's get a NID on that pole!

What's next? Customers hooking up extension cords and inside wire to the pole? No. The NID must be grounded and the only pratical way to ground a pole mounted nid would be to install a grounding rod but no tech is going to do that. They will just replace the bsw and finish the job.

The Bell system has some of the best grounds and the strand to which the cable is lashed is well grounded. The ground wire connected to the strand could be run down the pole to a pole mounted NID.

Bell could also use 2 pair aerial drop with messenger down the side if the pole to a NID and use the messenger as a ground.

Rick

The strand is indeed grounded but it is too far from the prem to be an effective ground source. Lets not forget the pupose of grounding is to protect the customer. The sub would be vulnerable to foreign voltage coming in contact with the line after the strand-grounded NID. Acceptable ground points at a typical dwelling from most to least effective (as per Bell)...Cold water pipe, hydro ground lug at electric panel, at hydro meter, grounding rod.

Anonymuss

@rogers.com

Fine, leave the NID on the outside of the house, but the splice box on the pole from aerial to BSW is still the demarcation point for billing purposes.

If you believe the trouble truly is in the BSW, then suck up the DMC charge, and get an aerial drop placed from the pole to the house to have the billing demarcation point moved to the NID, or ask the tech to place a temp from the pole to the house until you decide to repair/replace the BSW.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to RickStep

said by RickStep:

1. Intermittent problems are always the hardest to fix.
2. Bell’s repair within 3 or 4 days means Bell won’t show up before the problem evaporates (no truer word to use here).

I had that issue during my dial up days , whenever it rained the line was so crackly you couldn't make a stable connection. I'd call Bell, 3 days later, no fault found.

Finally after playing this game, I inisted that they book someone to come out the day I call (it's raining). Sure enough, the tech found that a squirrel had chewed into the line down the road, and when it rained, the water got in and wreaked havoc.

You need to INSIST that they come the day you report the problem, otherwise it'll never get fixed.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Anonymuss

said by Anonymuss :

Fine, leave the NID on the outside of the house, but the splice box on the pole from aerial to BSW is still the demarcation point for billing purposes.

IIRC, the latest CRTC ruling regarding NIDs and DMC billing requires that Bell (or any other telco) installs a user-accessible NID with test jack free-of-charge where none exists before they can collect any diagnostic charges on subsequent calls.

xbell

@cgocable.net
reply to Anonymuss

said by Anonymuss :

Wrong. Thousands of Bell customers, myself included, have had bsw cut-overs or re-arranges from aerial to buried and the demarcation is the end of the bsw at prem.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to sm5w2

This is the e-mail response I got from my relative in Windsor when I asked about the status of their phone-line situation. This is coming from a very non-technical person.

==========
August 8

Well the phone line is working but my internet is not. They sent me a new modem and i plugged the wires from the old modem into the new one. Called bell, forgot my access password but I had my user ID, tried to get it to work but no luck. So they are sending someone out tomorrow afternoon. I am not sure if I should have kept the yellow connection from the last modem.

The phone line was at the box some place near (Street X). The girl that came was very good she gave me her cell number when my phone was not working I could call her and I did call her that afternoon when the phone was not working, so she could tell where the problem was.

I will call you tomorrow night after the bell guy leaves for the internet I can get my email's on outlook express but not on the internet.
==========

Several contradictory items above. I'm not sure if the e-mail was sent from their home (which would indicate that internet connectivity was obviously working). The point about outlook was working but internet e-mail (gmail) wasn't is also contradictory.

I'm sure we've all been frustrated in helping a friend/relative diagnose computer problems from a distance...

Street X is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from their house. Depending on where on Street X this box is would add to this. I have no idea why any piece of physical plant located that far away would be playing a role in these problems.

I also don't know why a new modem is involved here. I think this is the second modem in 6 months.

(my relative didn't call as indicated above- so this is all I know at this time)

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to sm5w2

Interesting email...the yellow connection would be the ethernet cable that comes in the modem kit...usually yellow in colour. It sounds like the browser is not able to get to the internet but their email client is working (outlook express). Perhaps they have a very common virus that stops the browser from working? Just a thought. Please update us when you hear more information.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

So just to re-cap, my relative in windsor was having this issue with their pots line where they'd pick up the phone and hear some sort of static and no dial tone. This seemed to only happen when the out-door temperature went into the 90's (hey - if you're from windsor, you use farenheight). So during the early to mid-afternoon on the hottest days.

This happened last about 10 - 12 days ago, and they got a bell tech to come by when it was actually happening (by calling the tech's cell phone). The tech checked out all the wiring from the house, to the street, and then went to some box about a mile away and came back and said that everything has been fixed (didn't seem to indicate what the problem was, or the fix). Phone was working and has since been working (but they haven't had the extreme high temp's since then either).

During all this, even when they had no dial tone the DSL service was still working. But then a few days after the POTS fix the DSL stopped working and they called bell and was on the phone with someone from india and they talked them through a bunch of stuff but it all ended with Bell sending a new modem. This is a 2-wire 2701hg-g. It's got wifi (their old one wasn't wifi - they sent the old one back). I'm wondering if Bell is now going to charge them for "wireless" internet (?). After getting the login credentials sorted out they have functional internet again.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to sm5w2

As far as I know there is no charge for "wireless" access. It is always a guess as to what charges they will incur due to the usual "sales" pressure that the people go through when they call. If all they did was replace the modem then there should be no charge for the modem swap...have them check their bill over when it comes. Many Windsor people listen to U.S. radio so that is one reason the temperatures would still be in Fahrenheit
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.