Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inferno_gn
Premium
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC
reply to inferno_gn

Re: Bell to Teksavvy Home Phone...

Hi there,

Well, got a reply from the CTRC...

1) If a telephone number has been suspended or disconnected by a carrier PRIOR to a porting request being received, the carrier is entitled to deny the port, as the telephone number in question is not considered to be a working telephone number. (e.g. This could happen if you called your current service provider to disconnect your service before requesting that the new service provider port the number.)

2) The numbers were not in the same local exchange area. (e.g. Local Number Portability (LNP) was not designed to allow customers to bring their telephone numbers with them when they moved. The idea behind LNP is to allow subscribers, remaining at the same location, to change local telephone companies if they so choose. Having said that however, you can keep your phone number if you are moving and switching companies, as long as you stay within your local exchange area.)

3) The customer's area may not have been opened to LNP. (This isn't the case here as phone numbers 514-768-XXXX are opened to number portability).

4) TekSavvy may not be offering LNP in your area. (e.g. In terms of mandating LNP, we have mandated that carriers are required to support customers taking their current telephone number when moving to another service provider (i.e.: porting out). However, service providers are under no obligation to provide service to customers and can choose to not provide service to potential customers (i.e.: porting in). In other words, Bell Canada must release your number upon request from a competitor (such as TekSavvy), but TekSavvy is under no obligation to offer LNP in your area.)

Ju Leon...
--
Otaku Anime Network
»www.otakuanime.com/

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
said by inferno_gn:

4) TekSavvy may not be offering LNP in your area. (e.g. In terms of mandating LNP, we have mandated that carriers are required to support customers taking their current telephone number when moving to another service provider (i.e.: porting out). However, service providers are under no obligation to provide service to customers and can choose to not provide service to potential customers (i.e.: porting in). In other words, Bell Canada must release your number upon request from a competitor (such as TekSavvy), but TekSavvy is under no obligation to offer LNP in your area.)

Ju Leon...

In this case though, there is no porting going on, so the rules don't apply. Teksavvy doesn't "port" a Bell land line number to their home phone service, as they're not a porting carrier. They are re-selling Bell home phone, so this is simply a change of billing responsibility from Bell's perspective, and the porting rules don't apply.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to inferno_gn
said by inferno_gn:

Hi there,

Well, got a reply from the CTRC...

1) If a telephone number....

Another NON-answer !

HeadSpinning is correct on all counts, AFAIK.

And I would be very curious to know (fly on the wall) whether B$ELL has simply refused to let TSI take over the billing of any further Bell POTS numbers, OR that Bell has just raised the wholesale cost to TSI enough that it is not worth TSI's while to do so anymore (and save us subscribers any money too), and TSI is not telling us this little detail.

Of course, TSI stands to make more profit by promoting TekTalk, regardless of whatever Bell may or may not have done regarding the reselling of POTS lines.

BTW, does anyone else simply resell Bell POTS lines in the way that TSI has, and has Bell recently placed THEM into this same difficult position ?

Bell surely has to understand that if they stand too much in the way of letting resellers of POTS prevail, that folks will get pissed enough to drop POTS entirely, which would be a LOSE-LOSE for both TSI AND BELL.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !