MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to dlbott

MVM

to dlbott

Re: AT&T ISDN, do they provide?

According to the paperwork I could find, ISDN from AT&T starts around $80 / month in Louisiana.
ISDN (BR ISDN) is still probably available almost everywhere.
You are going to get about 144 Kbps on basic 2B+D ISDN. It won't be any faster. It won't be any slower. ISDN is a regulated service (unlike DSL). ISDN is a guaranteed service which normally carries an SLA, even for residential users. ISDN circuits will receive priority over POTS in an outage.

PR ISDN is a different animal. It costs more, but can get you all the way up to 1.54 Mbps in 64 Kbps increments. We used to call this service "fractional T1".

Back in the day, you used to be billed for "hours" and "miles" on an ISDN circuit. I'm not sure if they still do that or not. It's probably been 10 years since I've had ISDN service myself. After that, I only worked on them and billing wasn't my concern.

I do remember shutting down a B channel at times to lower costs.

NWOhio2
@buckeyecom.net

NWOhio2

Anon

You can still get ISDN but ATT wil make you jump hopes to get it. Depending on the state depends on if it is available.

But the question is- can you find a provider that still OFFERS ISDN-B dial-in access?
dlbott
join:2011-01-12

dlbott

So for less than what I am paying now I could possibly get close to the same speed for less money and not have to worry about how much bandwidth I use. That would be so absolutely awesome. How hard is the setup and maintenance. I understand I would need an isdn router, is it hard to integrate into a home network. How would I find an ISP that would take it, kinda confused as to why you need an ISP, for what......

I tell ya, out here in the country where I live a person could make some good money setting people up with service. Otherwise the only game in town is satelite and it sucks. Even if you could get a T line and somehow share it with neighbors and sell them access. It is wonderful and peaceful living in the country but it sucks not being able to have affordable high speed internet. Let me know what you think and thanks, Don

ATTek
Got Sand?
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Glendora, CA

ATTek

Premium Member

ISDN is not "internet service" per se....it's a digital phone line...well actually 2 digital phone lines in most applications. So you need an internet ISP to "dial into" very much like the old traditional dial up internet, just faster. I still put these in fairly frequently, mostly for remote network access, radio broadcast and ATM machine use but I haven't seen one for regular internet access in a long while. We USED to sell ISDN bundled with internet access but I don't know if we still do. I'll dig around and see what I can find.
ATTek

ATTek

Premium Member

Well here's the relevant page on the customer facing website. »www.att.com/gen/isp?pid=2533#4 There are numbers there for the different areas to call for availability and pricing.

TheLastMumzy
@comcast.net

TheLastMumzy

Anon

I did a quick search for Deridder, LA and it appears it's within Verizon's 4g LTE service area. They have a product called HomeFusion that may be available to you. The catch is this this service also has restricted caps (30 gig is the highest I think). Anyways I know a guy that switched to HomeFusion from satellite and he really likes it. He averaged around 10-15Mb down and 4Mb up with ~90ms ping times.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to nunya

to nunya
It depends on how rural the CO is. I've run into COs in southern Arkansas where the CO isn't capable of doing anything more that a IT. They couldn't do ISDN or PRI. I had always assumed that something like ISDN would be universally available throughout AT&T's network.

The bigger problems is going to be finding an ISP that still offers ISDN and ordering it because most call center reps won't have a clue about what ISDN is.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Most dial-up ISPs no longer differentiate between standard dialup and ISDN dialup. I'm pretty sure AT&T still has dial-up available.
Obviously with a PRI, that wouldn't be an issue.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

They don't on 64k but you have to make sure they allow the second 64k connection. A lot of ISP only allow a single connection at a time where 128k or faster will authenticate each channel.

dlbott2
@direcway.com

dlbott2

Anon

dlWell you guys are great, I need one of you guys to hook me up, lol..There was no number on the page for Louisiana and no one so far was helpful on the numbers that were there, which I thought was kinda weird, lol. I thought at least they would tell me something, lol. Maybe I just got bad folks, lol. So far not getting anywhere with Verizon either, I don't think they serve my address. I am ten to fifteen miles out of deridder in the country. It was my understanding, from my last dsl tech, that I had in town which I lost his contact info, that pretty much anywhere could get dsl if the tech new what he was doing and wanted to do it. I heard there was a guy doing it but I could never get a hold of him, heard he was so busy he actually changed his number, old att tech started his own business hooking up rural folks with dsl. Not sure if it was true cus I could never get hold of him. I would be certainly happy with 1 meg down and 30 gig cap. I get 500 meg a day now, free from 2 to 5 in morning but share with everyone else so not always fast. Pay 125 a month for that chit. So sick of it, you guys please please help me, lol... I am so pulling my hair out... Surely I can still get ISDN here, lol... unfortunately, allot of what you are talking about over my head, lol...If anyone has ability or knowledge to help me find the right person to talk to or what better options than this crappy satelite that I can't afford anyway, lol.... for that much money I ought to be able to get better I would think. Hell even if you had to put repeaters in I should be able to get dsl somehow and be better than what I got now....

Like I say, ISDN with 30 gig cap and anywhere between 750k to 10 meg down would be awesome, upload not that big a deal, I need it but the down speed is more important to me... any help appreciated......

don
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Why not try to post in At&t Direct forum? (you can post there in »AT&T Direct )Im sure they will help you out. Or you still can keep calling At&t and hoping you will found a agent that know abt ISDN technology.

Just curious about ISDN latency. Is it same as DSL's latency?
PowerMac

PowerMac

And I found the number for at&t southeast ISDN. 800 -858 -9413
Not sure if they still using that number or must be SPECIFIC to order in SouthEAST. I found in this thread »AT&T tells me they dont do ISDN?