Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed

Re: [Info] Windows 8 wants to nickel and dime you to death

said by CylonRed:

Windows 7 works better than XP IMHO after using Win7 since it came out at work and XP at home.

Start button is finally real (ie: Good) and it does everything very well and super stable.

What do you mean the start button is finally "real"? It has never appeared fake to me in 98, 98SE, XP or in Vista where it got screwed up but it was still real. I only had Windows 7 briefly during the public beta (although I will be buying a Windows 7 computer soon...before Oct 26) but the start button was real...it was totally messed up though worse than in Vista and I had to get third party software installed to fix it...but it sure as heck was "real".

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

said by Mele20:

(although I will be buying a Windows 7 computer soon...before Oct 26) but the start button was real...it was totally messed up though worse than in Vista and I had to get third party software installed to fix it...but it sure as heck was "real".

So you were using a 3rd party Start Menu in Windows 7? If so, then you could probably use the same program in Windows 8.

I use Classic Shell in Windows 7 and it works in Windows 8 as well.

For those who like the Windows Application page but prefer something not full screen within Desktop, there is a Start Menu alternative called Start8.

Both these utilities can be set to take you to desktop when you boot your computer.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy

I "hate" those 3rd party software. They will cause unexplainable crashes no doubt.

As for booting to desktop - I just click Desktop tile on start screen - TADA I'm in desktop ;p I actually prefer to boot to start screen so I can glance all the useful live tiles before I get to work on desktop.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The problem is that Microsoft thinks everyone actually uses the desktop. I don't. I never go to it. I use Windows Explorer when I need something. The desktop to me is a pretty picture I have with a little program I've run since Windows 95 that hides everything on the desktop so all I see is the pretty picture when I boot. Then, I use Quick Start menu. I hate wasting time on the Desktop! If I want to know the weather, I have a tab open at all times on Fx to the weather service for my town. Why would I want to go to the desktop and ruin my picture by telling Desktop Sweeper to restore all the crappy garbage on it so I can look for a dumb something that will show me the weather? It is much more productive to ignore the desktop as soon as boot is completed and use your tabs in your browser or use Windows Explorer.

Of course, I know Microsoft ruined Explorer in Windows 7, and somewhat in Vista, but then there are third party programs that restore Windows Explorer. It is not my fault there are tons of idiots using Windows these days who can't be bothered to learn how to use it so Microsoft feels compelled to cater to their inability to learn anything. So, I will use a third party program because all these idiots have ruined Windows.
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave

said by Mele20:

It is not my fault there are tons of idiots using Windows these days who can't be bothered to learn how to use it so Microsoft feels compelled to cater to their inability to learn anything.

Wow!! Really? Everyone is supposed to be a computer genius?

Wow.

Oh, and thanks for calling my parents idiots. I'm sure they'd appreciate that.

Why don't we just go back to DOS? Who needs a GUI anyway?

As for a program that hides everything on the desktop, why do you even need that? Since WinXP, you can hide the desktop icons without any 3rd party utilities.

TD

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Of course, I know Microsoft ruined Explorer in Windows 7, and somewhat in Vista, but then there are third party programs that restore Windows Explorer. It is not my fault there are tons of idiots using Windows these days who can't be bothered to learn how to use it so Microsoft feels compelled to cater to their inability to learn anything. So, I will use a third party program because all these idiots have ruined Windows.

After actually learning how to use it, the Windows 7 explorer is a vast improvement over XP. In my opinion. But that's just me, after I spent time learning something new. Not sure why you feel so strongly towards other people based on a file explorer preference...
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to Mele20

to Mele20
Windows Vista/7 is definitely much better than XP on Explorer. Windows 8 is even better.

I meant start8/classic shell or whatever shell replacement program that replace explorer.exe as in third party software.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Windows 8 won't stop you from doing that either. Sounds to me like you'd barely notice the difference.

I do something similar with Q-Dir actually, which is far superior to any version of Windows Explorer. You should try it.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That Q-Dir looks nice! Thanks! I'll try it when I get a new machine with Win 7. Maybe I'll try it on a virtual machine running XP Pro just to see what it is like as Explorer in XP is fine...but it doesn't have 4 panes which looks useful. But I want XP like start on Win 7. I can't remember the name of programs half the time so how could I type in the Start search box on Win 7 to start a program when I can't remember its name? (Of course, I remember a program I use constantly...but I will go blank on others). If I have XP style Start/Programs then I can look at the columns and I will recognize the one I want. Classic Shell will give me that on Win 7 but it also has enhancements to Explorer to make it more like XP Explorer. It might conflict with this Q-Dir.

I wish I could have done a Win 8 beta to see for myself what I think of it. I don't want to be buying programs from Microsoft store though. I don't want Microsoft having that sort of control. I would never use their AV either for this reason (and lack of configurability). Any computer I buy between now and Oct 26 will have upgrade to Win 8 at $15 if I were to decide I would want it (which is very unlikely but possible I suppose). Waiting to buy a computer until that close to Christmas is a big mistake because the OEMs get sloppy around then because of all the orders. You want to avoid buying at that time of the year.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Thinking gonna buy Windows 8 for $15 if i qualify, got this PC on June 16th 2012, had to exchange the original machine though, which was bought on May 31st, so if it goes by the original purchase date, guess spending $40.00 to get Windows 8 on this PC, NEW HP Quad Core A6-3620, 8gb ddr3 ram, and 1tb hard drive

Overall liking the Speed of the PC very much, Don't even Notice Norton Antivirus 2012 on this PC at all, nice and fast compared to my old PC

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Be sure to explore the menus and buttons in Q-Dir. It is highly configurable, much like Opera.

In Windows 8 I have noticed Q-Dir seems to forget which column to sort files by sometimes. I'm not sure if this is new or if it does this in 7 also. The developer is constantly releasing updates so it's likely to be quickly fixed anyway.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Cheese

Cheese to towerdave

Premium Member

to towerdave
I wouldn't bother with her, it's a common theme with her that everyone else is the problem yet she claims to know so much yet has so many problems.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
I defined 'real' already - it takes the XP menu and finally does what it should have in XP. Since XP, I have only used the Classic menu and Win7 finally got it right.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, you said that "real" means "good". That tells me absolutely nothing except your very vague, subjective opinion that "start" button is "good" in Win 7.

Pardon me but whoopee do...I really feel enlightened now.