Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

[ALL] Cox Rumored to Adding 100mbps Tier

i have been hearing all kinds of talk of cox moving to a new 100mbps speed tier

since other isp's are making some pretty big changes this year i would assume cox is not to far behind

if anyone has heard anything plz comment thanks

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
We probably cant' afford it.. unless they are upgrading ultimate to 100 megs.. hopefully, they will do the same to upload speeds.

-Rob

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to bryant313
care to share how you heard about it ?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
reply to bryant313
Well rumors are rumors until something happens, but I will say with cox pushing more and more area's to 8 downstream channels. It only makes sense for them to try, and push out a new speed tier sometime in the near future. The thing is with cox they are very mum on letting anything out until it happens. Cox really has been very quiet this year even on any speed increases, as far as I know only a select few cox area's even did any speed increases. I think upstream bonding has been cox's focus point in 2012.

lra

join:2005-04-04
Omaha, NE
reply to bryant313
For my usage, supporting native IPv6 is becoming more important for my Tier speeds.

Currently I'm using Hurricane Electric's very nice IPv6 tunnel service, but that requires extra IPv4 hops to the tunnel, and the he.net endpoints are not the most efficient way to do large downloads.

As you know, most dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 applications will use the AAAA DNS record if available by default. So IPv6 via the tunnel will be used instead of the faster native IPv4 route.

I require IPv6 connectivity, so reverting to IPv4-only is not an option.

I'm a long time COX SOHO Business customer, it seems native dual stack IPv4/IPv6 should be a priority. But not a peep.

Lonnie

DaveElls

join:2007-06-20
Carthage, TN
While it certainly won't solve your problems completely you can have windows prefer IPV4 when available. I use a tunnel as well and tweaked it for similar reasons.
»support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to bryant313
said by bryant313:

since other isp's are making some pretty big changes this year i would assume cox is not to far behind

I also heard the monthly cap on the 100 megabit tier can be blown through in less than a day. oh wait... we already have that on the ultimate tier they have now.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by digiblur:

said by bryant313:

I also heard the monthly cap on the 100 megabit tier can be blown through in less than a day. oh wait... we already have that on the ultimate tier they have now.

Well this is gonna continue to be a problem for most Cable ISP's, until they either figure out its bad for business, or are forced to stop capping residential internet tiers. I personally think cox needs to start doing something with regards to speeds, because imo they are playing the sit back, and watch a little to much. As much as everyone has talked bad about Comcast, and there 250gb cap for all residential internet tiers, which has been suspended atm. They have been the most active cable isp in the US, as far as D3, and there internet service is concerned.

Because they were one of the first to really start rolling out D3, and also one of the first with upstream bonding. Which they have put to use upstream bonding with there 50/10(15) tier, and there 105/20 tier. Also they just started in there northeast region of bumping all there Blast customers, from like 25/4 to 50/10, and there 50/10 customers to 105/20. I like there way of thinking, and I know everyone having them kind of speeds can't be used all at once. But I see it as giving the customer a way to faster download, and upload things when needed is a great ideal.

Because I hate the way a lot of ISP's look at internet speeds, with comments like "There isn't a market for faster speed(mainly upload).". Because really that shouldn't be there way of thinking, it should be more faster speeds are a good thing. Since I truthfully believe it would keep the loads down a bit more for ISP's network. What I mean by this is, giving the customer a faster 50mbps download connection. They can download there new 8GB PC game in 20-25 minutes, instead of close to a hour at 25mbps connection. I know I am off topic again, but it kind of bothers me a bit with our ISP Cox. Because it makes me feel like there kind of like playing little brother to comcast. What I mean by that is, is they sit back, and watch another ISP do something before they attempt it.

Personally by the end of this year, beginning of next. If cox doesn't raise current speeds on there internet tiers, or start offering a faster tier( I think they should do both). I think it would be stupid, since I would say most there D3 area's have at least 4 downstream channels, and pushing towards 8 downstream channels this year. Also upstream bonding has come to use in some of there D3 markets. I know its not simply just about more channels being available, because the capacity still needs to be there to support it. Anyways I am done for now, just felt the need to state my point of view on this kind of stuff LOL .

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to ajwees41
during the past few months when i was having senior tech visits i was told by each one of them that cox is going to 100mbps by the end of the year

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87
well i think that also constitutes the premier and ultimate not getting a speed increase this year something has to be in the works

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
reply to bryant313
said by bryant313:

during the past few months when i was having senior tech visits i was told by each one of them that cox is going to 100mbps by the end of the year

Well I am sure cox is up to something, but it will remain mum until there is a official announcement of it. It will probably be more close to the end of the year. Still stuff like this is controlled by the marketing people for cox. I just hope your point in this thread wasn't to get someone from cox to reply with an response, because that wont happen. I know these cox guys you talked to are higher up the chain, but try to always take stuff like this with a grain of salt. Still like I said cox has to be cooking up a faster speed tier sometime in the near future. I really don't care until we are talking about speed increases to there current tiers(mainly upload side), since I am a ultimate tier customer. I would be more happy with a speed bump on upload then download with the current 50/5 offerings. My market of hampton roads has the upstream channels in place with 4, matter of capacity which should of been part of the upgrades with adding more channels, now just a matter of raising the limits.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
reply to bryant313
said by bryant313:

well i think that also constitutes the premier and ultimate not getting a speed increase this year something has to be in the works

Well I can tell you this, I am still currently on a 2 year contract for ultimate in my area for $90 a month. Once that is up, only way I keep ultimate is cox better have another decent promotion rate. Which there is no way I am paying the current standard price of $110 for ultimate in my area, for 50/5. My market needs to move the standard rate for ultimate to $90 anyways. Because I am sure that will be a major deal breaker for customers when they see the strandard price at $110, without any promotional deal. Currently promotion rate is $70 for 3 months, and $110 after.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87
no my intention was to get opinions from people on this forum

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by bryant313:

no my intention was to get opinions from people on this forum

Well anything anyone says here is gonna be rumored until cox talks about it. I can tell you most of the people here probably can careless about a 100mbps download speed offering from cox. Because for one, its gonna be crazy high priced. So I hope they plan some price adjustments when they launch a higher speed tier, because its selling point will be limited due to pricing. I am sure what would make most of us care, and more happy, is to raise speeds on all current internet speed tiers. Hopefully with the recent speed changes verizon has done with FIOS, and now what Comcast is doing. Cox is paying attention a bit, I know they don't care what them two companys are doing. But maybe give them a little reminder, its about that time to raise there own speed offerings.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to lilstone87
All I know In Cleveland they gave me four more Mbps making my total Mbps and I did get a ad in the mail saying they are increasing speeds.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by chip89:

All I know In Cleveland they gave me four more Mbps making my total Mbps and I did get a ad in the mail saying they are increasing speeds.

Yeah cox does speed increases market by market. Yeah your one of the lucky few cox area's so far this year, I am sure everyone got there bills this year with price increases! I personally think cox should have a overall marketing team that controls speeds for all tiers for all markets, not market by market.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
agreed

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
reply to bryant313
Here, Verizon fios service (75/35) with their 2nd level of tv is 95/month. Cox has to beat that for people to stay. Comparisons are easy to make.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by codydog:

Here, Verizon fios service (75/35) with their 2nd level of tv is 95/month. Cox has to beat that for people to stay. Comparisons are easy to make.

Trust me for a lot of us, it does matter, and would jump ship for faster speeds, and better pricing. But verizon does lack a couple things, one FIOS is very limited as we all know, and secondly one of the biggest problems, is they are known for nightmare billing. Which just means you have to stay on top of your bills from them.
We all know cox can't compete with FIOS, unless they start building out a FTTH network. Which with the newer docsis technology cable isp's are using, don't expect that to happen for a long time. Even though they can't compete, doesn't mean cox can just sit back, and do nothing.

Which cox has did there work with both download, and now upstream channel bonding last couple years. But the one major thing lacking is, they really haven't done much of any speed upgrades to there current internet tiers with D3. Really only added the ultimate tier, and that's it, If you think about it. So as a customer, its time for them to work on speed increases, and maybe a new speed tier. Because customers are not happy to keep seeing yearly price increases, without better added services happening in the process. As some of us know, the price increases last couple years has been related to the D3 upgrades. Still the avg customers don't see this, because with better network upgrades should come better, and faster service, which to this point hasn't happen.

codydog

Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I like Cox and have had them for a long time. I think they're responsive and have been fair to me.

But, if verizon has a better service, for less, its hard not to switch.

Overall, i would bet Cox knows the reality and will announce something shortly to compete. The cost not to, is big for them.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
I hope google launches their internet here. It be nice to have a choice vs Cox and CenturyCrap.. (yea, they suck..) Paying $100 for 50 meg service is horrible, if we can get that for $70, I'm switching. I know Kansas City is just a launch.. will they come to Pensacola/ Ft Walton Beach?? I'd love to see them nationwide. Even in rural areas where cable can't or won't reach.

-Rob

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87
and this is one of the reasons i too suspect that cox will being something with their internet speeds by the end of the year

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Rob_
if you dived the 1000mbps by the price of $70.00 that is little over 14.2mbs per dollar at this price point cox's 50mbps would only be worth about $4.00

codydog

Newport, RI
reply to bryant313
This morning, woke up to 8 channels down/ 4 up. I think first time, but no increase in speeds.

I am on Ultimate.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
were you getting the full speed of the ultimate tier before all the new bonded channels?

codydog

Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Yes, was like high 50s down/8-10 up on 4 channels down/4 up

Now, 8 channels down/ 4 up/ Might be the early morning hours, but latency seems down as well. Will check later as the world gets turning. Hopefully, this increase from 4 to 8 on down bonding will yield the speed increase we've been talking about.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
hopefully i think something seriously has to be in the works for cox this year since a lot of isp's are adding higher speeds to their existing speed tiers and adding new higher speed tiers

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Oceanside, CA
reply to bryant313
Up until like 3 months ago, I was getting nearly 100mbps down, and 8-9mbps up on my Cox business internet. They made a configuration change and brought down the speed to what I'm supposed to be getting.

That's with 4 bonded down, 4 bonded up channels.

Definitely miss the speed, and it would be awesome if they offered it again-- just not sure how much they'd charge.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by sh10151:

Up until like 3 months ago, I was getting nearly 100mbps down, and 8-9mbps up on my Cox business internet. They made a configuration change and brought down the speed to what I'm supposed to be getting.

That's with 4 bonded down, 4 bonded up channels.

Definitely miss the speed, and it would be awesome if they offered it again-- just not sure how much they'd charge.

Well I think with business internet the powerboost feature lasted longer, but on residential internet, it only like for like first maybe 20megabytes of a download. So it just makes speedtest results look crazy high. Which I see no point in that, since its not your true download speed. I am happy they are capping powerboost, as its pointless imo, and never cared for powerboost.

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Oceanside, CA
That actually wasn't my Powerboost speed-- I didn't really have Powerboost, just always 90+ mbps.