share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
reply to codydog

Re: [ALL] Cox Rumored to Adding 100mbps Tier

I hope google launches their internet here. It be nice to have a choice vs Cox and CenturyCrap.. (yea, they suck..) Paying $100 for 50 meg service is horrible, if we can get that for $70, I'm switching. I know Kansas City is just a launch.. will they come to Pensacola/ Ft Walton Beach?? I'd love to see them nationwide. Even in rural areas where cable can't or won't reach.

-Rob

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

and this is one of the reasons i too suspect that cox will being something with their internet speeds by the end of the year

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Rob_

if you dived the 1000mbps by the price of $70.00 that is little over 14.2mbs per dollar at this price point cox's 50mbps would only be worth about $4.00

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
reply to bryant313

This morning, woke up to 8 channels down/ 4 up. I think first time, but no increase in speeds.

I am on Ultimate.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

were you getting the full speed of the ultimate tier before all the new bonded channels?

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Yes, was like high 50s down/8-10 up on 4 channels down/4 up

Now, 8 channels down/ 4 up/ Might be the early morning hours, but latency seems down as well. Will check later as the world gets turning. Hopefully, this increase from 4 to 8 on down bonding will yield the speed increase we've been talking about.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

hopefully i think something seriously has to be in the works for cox this year since a lot of isp's are adding higher speeds to their existing speed tiers and adding new higher speed tiers

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Ramona, CA
reply to bryant313

Up until like 3 months ago, I was getting nearly 100mbps down, and 8-9mbps up on my Cox business internet. They made a configuration change and brought down the speed to what I'm supposed to be getting.

That's with 4 bonded down, 4 bonded up channels.

Definitely miss the speed, and it would be awesome if they offered it again-- just not sure how much they'd charge.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by sh10151:

Up until like 3 months ago, I was getting nearly 100mbps down, and 8-9mbps up on my Cox business internet. They made a configuration change and brought down the speed to what I'm supposed to be getting.

That's with 4 bonded down, 4 bonded up channels.

Definitely miss the speed, and it would be awesome if they offered it again-- just not sure how much they'd charge.

Well I think with business internet the powerboost feature lasted longer, but on residential internet, it only like for like first maybe 20megabytes of a download. So it just makes speedtest results look crazy high. Which I see no point in that, since its not your true download speed. I am happy they are capping powerboost, as its pointless imo, and never cared for powerboost.

sh10151

join:2003-03-03
Ramona, CA

That actually wasn't my Powerboost speed-- I didn't really have Powerboost, just always 90+ mbps.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

yeah sometimes my power boost would go over 120mbps but that is a rarity now

and still no signs of upstream channel bonding here in Las Vegas

GameRadio

join:2008-04-12
Mesa, AZ
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

We probably cant' afford it.. unless they are upgrading ultimate to 100 megs.. hopefully, they will do the same to upload speeds.

-Rob

I was told by a Cox store when I picked up my DOCSIS 3.0 Modem for Ultimate tier that there was a plan for moving Ultimate users to it.

I know where I live advertised down is 55 I easily get 60-80 down.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

so Cox is going to move all ultimate users to this rumored 100mbps if and when it comes out?

i bet they will move premier customers to the current ultimate speed if this 100mbps launches

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

so Cox is going to move all ultimate users to this rumored 100mbps if and when it comes out?

i bet they will move premier customers to the current ultimate speed if this 100mbps launches

Just remember this is all still a rumor, and I will believe it when I see it. Personally I don't see us ultimate users getting pushed to the 100mbps, if/when it happens. I would think they would add a tier above ultimate, and not make ultimate the top tier. But like I said, cox will make an announcement when they make some speed changes. Either way, I welcome any kind of speed increase for ultimate in my area. Although I hope the day speeds increase for ultimate in my market, they add on both sides, as I rather see some increases on the upload side.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

while all this speculation and your guess is as good as mine i will say that cox did not upgrade the speeds on the premier users and the ultimate users this year in las vegas so i think there may be something to that

idk if other markets got the same treatment or not

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

while all this speculation and your guess is as good as mine i will say that cox did not upgrade the speeds on the premier users and the ultimate users this year in las vegas so i think there may be something to that

idk if other markets got the same treatment or not

Well cox has always done speed upgrades based market by market. But adding new tiers is something they add to all markets that are capable of providing the speed. Kind of reason you have a very select couple markets with ultimate speeds at 50/8 instead of the standard 50/5 it has been since launch of ultimate.

MaiShiranui74

join:2004-02-03
united state
reply to bryant313

I prefer getting my provisioned speed 24/7 over a range of 1~17Mbits range.
I don't care if they add 100Mbits if I still go 1~100Mbits.
What's the point of having that kind of bandwidth when you are only available to use some of it during certain periods of the day?

I'd rather have them focus on stability over quantity.
I also am believing this is some kind of business model which I am going to hate.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by MaiShiranui74:

What's the point of having that kind of bandwidth when you are only available to use some of it during certain periods of the day?

Not everyone has speed problems in their markets. I am happy with Premier d/l speed never have a speed problem here. I just want faster upload.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to MaiShiranui74

yeah i have never had speed issues other than problems on Cox's end

so more speed for me would be great

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to MaiShiranui74

said by MaiShiranui74:

I prefer getting my provisioned speed 24/7 over a range of 1~17Mbits range.
I don't care if they add 100Mbits if I still go 1~100Mbits.

I'd rather have them focus on stability over quantity.
I also am believing this is some kind of business model which I am going to hate.

Well as you seem to have speed problems, that's an issue related to your area, that your local cox people need to deal with. If your in a D3 area though, and haven't upgraded to a D3 modem. I suggest you do so, and if there is still indeed speed issue's, you have all the right in the world to complain until cox fixes the problem. I know it sucks to have to spend money to upgrade to newer D3 modems, but it does kind of make me wanna laugh when people complain about speed issue's nowadays. When they refuse to upgrade to a D3 modem when there area is D3 ready. Because as upgrades are made by isp's, all equipment has to be upgraded as well. Which includes the modem, and most the time that is left to the customer to upgrade.

LouNawlins

join:2010-02-28
Metairie, LA
reply to lilstone87

Why should COX worry what Comcast is doing? At least for New Orleans and Jefferson COX has a monopoly on cable services.

The only way we, the customers will benefit is if our selective local politicians will stop allowing a monopoly and start allowing real competiion.

Head to head competiion between COX v Comcast for your dollar...at any address in the Greater New Orleans Area.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to bryant313

Not much of a video monopoly and or internet... Uverse, DirecTV, Dishnetwork, or Cox. Internet, Uverse or Cox and probably a WISP or two in New Orleans.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to LouNawlins

cox usually sits back and waits while other cable companies like comcast make upgrades then cox follows suit later on down the road

cox is notorious for playing the waiting game

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to bryant313

I am curious to see if Cox eventually decides to drive out AT&T DSL in my area. They could come up with non-promotional priced internet plans that match AT &T's promotional pricing with much higher speeds and per month GB allowances. AT&T has no plans to go above 6Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up. I could see Cox offer 12Mbps down and 2Mbps up as the bottom tier for $15/month. It might have a monthly cap of 300GBs. AT&T would be stuck with no profitable way to compete. For Cox it would be a way to hook new customers. The next highest tier could be 25Mbps/5Mbps for $30/month with a 600GB cap. Still cheaper than AT&T's regular rates. Next up would be 50/10 for $60 with a 1200Gb cap.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to LouNawlins

said by LouNawlins:

Why should COX worry what Comcast is doing? At least for New Orleans and Jefferson COX has a monopoly on cable services.

The only way we, the customers will benefit is if our selective local politicians will stop allowing a monopoly and start allowing real competiion.

Head to head competiion between COX v Comcast for your dollar...at any address in the Greater New Orleans Area.

U-Verse offers some pretty solid speeds over copper. And I believe they're using VDSL2 profiles right now. The problem with U-Verse is that the HD quality is sub-par and the line has to be "perfect" for you to have a quality connection without issues - and that's only if you're within a good range of the VRAD to obtain an acceptable level of service. But once any line issues are resolved, the service *should* work quite well for a long period of time without any service interruptions on AT&T's side.

Note the *should* lol.

Comcast would never enter into this market and compete with Cox and AT&T. Our only hope for more competition is that Verizon will jump in at some point in the far far future and offer FIOS service, or Google will branch out into several other cities (New Orleans included), or another company that offers FTTH will come into the area. Of course the large problem with this is that they would have to spend a massive amount of money adding their own infrastructure where there is none. AT&T and Cox own all the fiber around here. And coming into a market without any expectations of success is an investment that not many companies would be willing to take.

But I'd be willing to make a switch if another company offered faster speeds for the same price. If I could jump on a 30/15 or 30/30 internet plan for the price I'm paying now, why wouldn't I switch? Well, I can say that one reason would be if Cox stepped up and offered equivalent speeds for an equivalent price, but given their history I don't know if that would ever happen. Ah, the joys of competition.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to davidhoffman

I doubt Cox would "buy in" on your suggestion.

Cox has a "Starter Package" with 1Mb D/L & 384k U/L with a 30Gb data allowance (cap) that costs $24.99. The Cox plan closest to the one you propose has 15Mb D/L and 2Mb U/L with 200Gb allowance (cap) and costs $52.99 (in my area).

1200Mb cap? Not happening today. The highest tier of service (most expensive) has 50Mb D/L & 5Mb U/L with a 400Gb cap. Non-promotional cost $109.99 a month.

I live in an area where Cox has competition, FIOS. It does not seem to have much impact. There would need to be some significant changes before service prices drop and caps raise to the levels you propose.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

was told by another cox tech not a contractor a actual tech for cox
that cox will be going to 100mbps down by the end of the year and that upstream channel bonding should be activated in the next few months

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

When people wake up about caps, they will remove them. I don't see that happening, neither. I was told on the phone the caps are there because there charged so much data per month which is bullshit. This is their bandwidth and they just want to start over useage fees due to lack of competition and "we can" When google starts to put their fiber service nationwide, Cox will rethink it's tune.. I wonder if we can ask Congress to write up a bill that will make datacaps illegal on both phone, mobile and cable co's... Everyone needs to be connected, not told what to do..

Also, THIS is where I'd like to see Cox at.. before 2013 only cheaper: »/r0/download/2···BKd4.jpg

-Rob

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Only cheaper? not likely.. But I wouldn't mine paying them prices for that speed. Would be more then happy to save $20 a month, and get faster upload speeds. Which I am talking about the 50/10 speed comcast is looking to offer soon in FIOS area's. As of now I pay $90 a month for ultimate 50/5, which the 5mbps upload speed is what really disappoints me. But I am sure cox will increase upload speeds a bit next time they make some speed increases to existing tiers.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Rob_

+1