Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LouNawlins

join:2010-02-28
Metairie, LA
reply to lilstone87

Re: [ALL] Cox Rumored to Adding 100mbps Tier

Why should COX worry what Comcast is doing? At least for New Orleans and Jefferson COX has a monopoly on cable services.

The only way we, the customers will benefit is if our selective local politicians will stop allowing a monopoly and start allowing real competiion.

Head to head competiion between COX v Comcast for your dollar...at any address in the Greater New Orleans Area.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to bryant313

Not much of a video monopoly and or internet... Uverse, DirecTV, Dishnetwork, or Cox. Internet, Uverse or Cox and probably a WISP or two in New Orleans.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
reply to LouNawlins

cox usually sits back and waits while other cable companies like comcast make upgrades then cox follows suit later on down the road

cox is notorious for playing the waiting game

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to bryant313

I am curious to see if Cox eventually decides to drive out AT&T DSL in my area. They could come up with non-promotional priced internet plans that match AT &T's promotional pricing with much higher speeds and per month GB allowances. AT&T has no plans to go above 6Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up. I could see Cox offer 12Mbps down and 2Mbps up as the bottom tier for $15/month. It might have a monthly cap of 300GBs. AT&T would be stuck with no profitable way to compete. For Cox it would be a way to hook new customers. The next highest tier could be 25Mbps/5Mbps for $30/month with a 600GB cap. Still cheaper than AT&T's regular rates. Next up would be 50/10 for $60 with a 1200Gb cap.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to LouNawlins

said by LouNawlins:

Why should COX worry what Comcast is doing? At least for New Orleans and Jefferson COX has a monopoly on cable services.

The only way we, the customers will benefit is if our selective local politicians will stop allowing a monopoly and start allowing real competiion.

Head to head competiion between COX v Comcast for your dollar...at any address in the Greater New Orleans Area.

U-Verse offers some pretty solid speeds over copper. And I believe they're using VDSL2 profiles right now. The problem with U-Verse is that the HD quality is sub-par and the line has to be "perfect" for you to have a quality connection without issues - and that's only if you're within a good range of the VRAD to obtain an acceptable level of service. But once any line issues are resolved, the service *should* work quite well for a long period of time without any service interruptions on AT&T's side.

Note the *should* lol.

Comcast would never enter into this market and compete with Cox and AT&T. Our only hope for more competition is that Verizon will jump in at some point in the far far future and offer FIOS service, or Google will branch out into several other cities (New Orleans included), or another company that offers FTTH will come into the area. Of course the large problem with this is that they would have to spend a massive amount of money adding their own infrastructure where there is none. AT&T and Cox own all the fiber around here. And coming into a market without any expectations of success is an investment that not many companies would be willing to take.

But I'd be willing to make a switch if another company offered faster speeds for the same price. If I could jump on a 30/15 or 30/30 internet plan for the price I'm paying now, why wouldn't I switch? Well, I can say that one reason would be if Cox stepped up and offered equivalent speeds for an equivalent price, but given their history I don't know if that would ever happen. Ah, the joys of competition.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to davidhoffman

I doubt Cox would "buy in" on your suggestion.

Cox has a "Starter Package" with 1Mb D/L & 384k U/L with a 30Gb data allowance (cap) that costs $24.99. The Cox plan closest to the one you propose has 15Mb D/L and 2Mb U/L with 200Gb allowance (cap) and costs $52.99 (in my area).

1200Mb cap? Not happening today. The highest tier of service (most expensive) has 50Mb D/L & 5Mb U/L with a 400Gb cap. Non-promotional cost $109.99 a month.

I live in an area where Cox has competition, FIOS. It does not seem to have much impact. There would need to be some significant changes before service prices drop and caps raise to the levels you propose.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

was told by another cox tech not a contractor a actual tech for cox
that cox will be going to 100mbps down by the end of the year and that upstream channel bonding should be activated in the next few months

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

When people wake up about caps, they will remove them. I don't see that happening, neither. I was told on the phone the caps are there because there charged so much data per month which is bullshit. This is their bandwidth and they just want to start over useage fees due to lack of competition and "we can" When google starts to put their fiber service nationwide, Cox will rethink it's tune.. I wonder if we can ask Congress to write up a bill that will make datacaps illegal on both phone, mobile and cable co's... Everyone needs to be connected, not told what to do..

Also, THIS is where I'd like to see Cox at.. before 2013 only cheaper: »/r0/download/2···BKd4.jpg

-Rob

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Only cheaper? not likely.. But I wouldn't mine paying them prices for that speed. Would be more then happy to save $20 a month, and get faster upload speeds. Which I am talking about the 50/10 speed comcast is looking to offer soon in FIOS area's. As of now I pay $90 a month for ultimate 50/5, which the 5mbps upload speed is what really disappoints me. But I am sure cox will increase upload speeds a bit next time they make some speed increases to existing tiers.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Rob_

+1

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
reply to bryant313

Anyone hearing anything new on this? Seems lots of ISPs are either already doing upgrades or in the process.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by codydog:

Anyone hearing anything new on this? Seems lots of ISPs are either already doing upgrades or in the process.

It will continue to be hear say, until cox them self make an announcement regarding a change. I am sure cox marketing is cooking up something regarding a new speed tier, and probably some speed increases to existing internet tiers. Still everyone has to remember, cox works on a market by market setup. So a new speed tier should take effect in pretty much all there D3 area's. But as for speed changes to existing tiers, that will be something the local marketing team's will handle, for each cox market.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to codydog

i have not heard anything yet but i keep seeing isp's raising speeds and messing with pricing so i think something is definitely gonna happen

i am not a betting man but i would put money on it that changes will be coming within the next few months

codydog

Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Might be too late for me. Verizon already has the speeds and TV at a cheaper price than Cox does here.

I also noticed that as my Cox renewal date gets closer, my street mailbox is filled with cox, verizon, directtv ads endlessly. Its as if they all know when I am free to switch. Verizon even pitches how little your cox fee is now for switching sooner.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to lilstone87

said by lilstone87:

Which cox has did there work with both download, and now upstream channel bonding last couple years. But the one major thing lacking is, they really haven't done much of any speed upgrades to there current internet tiers with D3. Really only added the ultimate tier, and that's it, If you think about it.

With D3 speeds are more stable but they have locked down the speed boost at least on downstream. Probably lock upstream soon enough also. So in some ways it can be a speed loss on the boost at times.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
reply to codydog

You have a renewal date with Cox? I've been with them more than 15 years and never remember having to 'renew". Must be different in your market.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to nonymous

said by nonymous:

said by lilstone87:

Which cox has did there work with both download, and now upstream channel bonding last couple years. But the one major thing lacking is, they really haven't done much of any speed upgrades to there current internet tiers with D3. Really only added the ultimate tier, and that's it, If you think about it.

With D3 speeds are more stable but they have locked down the speed boost at least on downstream. Probably lock upstream soon enough also. So in some ways it can be a speed loss on the boost at times.

Well powerboost is just there for cox to use it how they please. It's nothing they have to give or use if they don't feel like it. It was only a matter of time before they locked down powerboost in there D3 markets. As powerboost speeds can be crazy high at times, due to D3 channel bonding. Also the feature itself doesn't help much other then poison speedtest results. Because with these faster speed tiers, and more to follow in the future. What does powerboost really help? when it only last for maybe first 20 megabytes, of the beginning of a file download. I wouldn't be shocked at some point in the future, cox stops using the powerboost feature all together.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA

said by lilstone87:

said by nonymous:

said by lilstone87:

Well powerboost is just there for cox to use it how they please. It's nothing they have to give or use if they don't feel like it. It was only a matter of time before they locked down powerboost in there D3 markets. As powerboost speeds can be crazy high at times, due to D3 channel bonding. Also the feature itself doesn't help much other then poison speedtest results. Because with these faster speed tiers, and more to follow in the future. What does powerboost really help? when it only last for maybe first 20 megabytes, of the beginning of a file download. I wouldn't be shocked at some point in the future, cox stops using the powerboost feature all together.

True. Powerboost may have been a very good thing when download speeds were 10Mbps-20Mbps max, but as speeds reach 50+Mbps, it feels rather pointless. Having Powerboost on upload speeds is a bit different though - I'll take whatever increase I can get lol.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

yeah would rather have just a stable and consistent speed rather than power boost

i used to get power boost speeds up to 130mbps down

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to lilstone87

Powerboost seems to have been created, at the time, to stop ignorant people like me, who kept hitting refresh/resend on a browser to try to get some part of the webpage being sought to come up on the monitor. Give the subscriber something quickly to keep him from re-sending the request. It is kind of like the pickles, crackers, or bread restaurants give you to keep you from going crazy waiting on your main order. I have read that this was once a similar big debate among browser designers. Do you wait for the entire page to download before displaying any of the page?

With today's available cable internet speeds, Powerboost is not really necessary if you are delivering the promised tier speed. If you have a 8 channel bonding cable system, that is delivering 152Mbps download consistently, what real benefit will come from Powerboost to 190Mbps, for the average webpage?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by davidhoffman:

Powerboost seems to have been created, at the time, to stop ignorant people like me, who kept hitting refresh/resend on a browser to try to get some part of the webpage being sought to come up on the monitor. Give the subscriber something quickly to keep him from re-sending the request. It is kind of like the pickles, crackers, or bread restaurants give you to keep you from going crazy waiting on your main order. I have read that this was once a similar big debate among browser designers. Do you wait for the entire page to download before displaying any of the page?

With today's available cable internet speeds, Powerboost is not really necessary if you are delivering the promised tier speed. If you have a 8 channel bonding cable system, that is delivering 152Mbps download consistently, what real benefit will come from Powerboost to 190Mbps, for the average webpage?

Average webpages? Lol it won't help much at all, as most servers are not even ready to pass data at them speeds. But like I said in my last post, I can see it being a feature cox gets rid of sometime in the future. As we all know speeds are getting to the point, features such as powerboost are useless anymore. I mean it still makes sense for maybe the bottom two lowest tiers, but nothing more then that.

codydog

Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bryant313

so..nothing definitive, all rumors but Verizon has the speeds, service and better price. This might be it for me with Cox, just dont get why they dont compete (or match).

Need to decide next week so service transition is smooth.

Too bad as have been a longtime Cox customer and liked them as a vendor.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

well cox has to make a move to stay competitive so some speed increase and new speed tiers have to be on the way

ericdude

join:2012-09-07
Henderson, NV
reply to bryant313

Unleash the 100mb tier!

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

well cox has to make a move to stay competitive so some speed increase and new speed tiers have to be on the way

Not anytime soon here in LV. Who is the competition? CL with their 10mb plan in most of the LV area.

Yes, there are some sections that can get higher speeds, but they save that for folks who want Prism.

If I want just Internet, the best that I can do is (up to) 10mb. If I tell them I also want Prism, I can not get 40mb ... split between Internet and Prism. After Prism takes its share, I get 10mb for Internet.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well if/when cox adds a faster speed tier, I don't think competition is gonna matter. What will is if your cox area is D3 or not. I am sure cox will do the same with regards to there ultimate tier, by offering it in there D3 service area's. Pricing is a different matter, and will most likely be set by competition.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV
reply to Irish Shark

i think cox will go to 100mbps very soon regardless of what Century link is doing

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to bryant313

And now official ...

»Cox Business begins offering 80, 100 Mbps tiers