Search similar:

uniqs
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog to bryant313

to bryant313

Re: [ALL] Cox Rumored to Adding 100mbps Tier

Anyone hearing anything new on this? Seems lots of ISPs are either already doing upgrades or in the process.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by codydog:

Anyone hearing anything new on this? Seems lots of ISPs are either already doing upgrades or in the process.

It will continue to be hear say, until cox them self make an announcement regarding a change. I am sure cox marketing is cooking up something regarding a new speed tier, and probably some speed increases to existing internet tiers. Still everyone has to remember, cox works on a market by market setup. So a new speed tier should take effect in pretty much all there D3 area's. But as for speed changes to existing tiers, that will be something the local marketing team's will handle, for each cox market.
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to codydog

to codydog
i have not heard anything yet but i keep seeing isp's raising speeds and messing with pricing so i think something is definitely gonna happen

i am not a betting man but i would put money on it that changes will be coming within the next few months
codydog
Newport, RI

codydog

Might be too late for me. Verizon already has the speeds and TV at a cheaper price than Cox does here.

I also noticed that as my Cox renewal date gets closer, my street mailbox is filled with cox, verizon, directtv ads endlessly. Its as if they all know when I am free to switch. Verizon even pitches how little your cox fee is now for switching sooner.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to lilstone87

to lilstone87
said by lilstone87:

Which cox has did there work with both download, and now upstream channel bonding last couple years. But the one major thing lacking is, they really haven't done much of any speed upgrades to there current internet tiers with D3. Really only added the ultimate tier, and that's it, If you think about it.

With D3 speeds are more stable but they have locked down the speed boost at least on downstream. Probably lock upstream soon enough also. So in some ways it can be a speed loss on the boost at times.
nmlobo
join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

nmlobo to codydog

to codydog
You have a renewal date with Cox? I've been with them more than 15 years and never remember having to 'renew". Must be different in your market.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87 to nonymous

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

said by lilstone87:

Which cox has did there work with both download, and now upstream channel bonding last couple years. But the one major thing lacking is, they really haven't done much of any speed upgrades to there current internet tiers with D3. Really only added the ultimate tier, and that's it, If you think about it.

With D3 speeds are more stable but they have locked down the speed boost at least on downstream. Probably lock upstream soon enough also. So in some ways it can be a speed loss on the boost at times.

Well powerboost is just there for cox to use it how they please. It's nothing they have to give or use if they don't feel like it. It was only a matter of time before they locked down powerboost in there D3 markets. As powerboost speeds can be crazy high at times, due to D3 channel bonding. Also the feature itself doesn't help much other then poison speedtest results. Because with these faster speed tiers, and more to follow in the future. What does powerboost really help? when it only last for maybe first 20 megabytes, of the beginning of a file download. I wouldn't be shocked at some point in the future, cox stops using the powerboost feature all together.

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009

said by lilstone87:

said by nonymous:

said by lilstone87:

Well powerboost is just there for cox to use it how they please. It's nothing they have to give or use if they don't feel like it. It was only a matter of time before they locked down powerboost in there D3 markets. As powerboost speeds can be crazy high at times, due to D3 channel bonding. Also the feature itself doesn't help much other then poison speedtest results. Because with these faster speed tiers, and more to follow in the future. What does powerboost really help? when it only last for maybe first 20 megabytes, of the beginning of a file download. I wouldn't be shocked at some point in the future, cox stops using the powerboost feature all together.

True. Powerboost may have been a very good thing when download speeds were 10Mbps-20Mbps max, but as speeds reach 50+Mbps, it feels rather pointless. Having Powerboost on upload speeds is a bit different though - I'll take whatever increase I can get lol.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

yeah would rather have just a stable and consistent speed rather than power boost

i used to get power boost speeds up to 130mbps down
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to lilstone87

Premium Member

to lilstone87
Powerboost seems to have been created, at the time, to stop ignorant people like me, who kept hitting refresh/resend on a browser to try to get some part of the webpage being sought to come up on the monitor. Give the subscriber something quickly to keep him from re-sending the request. It is kind of like the pickles, crackers, or bread restaurants give you to keep you from going crazy waiting on your main order. I have read that this was once a similar big debate among browser designers. Do you wait for the entire page to download before displaying any of the page?

With today's available cable internet speeds, Powerboost is not really necessary if you are delivering the promised tier speed. If you have a 8 channel bonding cable system, that is delivering 152Mbps download consistently, what real benefit will come from Powerboost to 190Mbps, for the average webpage?
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by davidhoffman:

Powerboost seems to have been created, at the time, to stop ignorant people like me, who kept hitting refresh/resend on a browser to try to get some part of the webpage being sought to come up on the monitor. Give the subscriber something quickly to keep him from re-sending the request. It is kind of like the pickles, crackers, or bread restaurants give you to keep you from going crazy waiting on your main order. I have read that this was once a similar big debate among browser designers. Do you wait for the entire page to download before displaying any of the page?

With today's available cable internet speeds, Powerboost is not really necessary if you are delivering the promised tier speed. If you have a 8 channel bonding cable system, that is delivering 152Mbps download consistently, what real benefit will come from Powerboost to 190Mbps, for the average webpage?

Average webpages? Lol it won't help much at all, as most servers are not even ready to pass data at them speeds. But like I said in my last post, I can see it being a feature cox gets rid of sometime in the future. As we all know speeds are getting to the point, features such as powerboost are useless anymore. I mean it still makes sense for maybe the bottom two lowest tiers, but nothing more then that.
codydog
Newport, RI

codydog to bryant313

to bryant313
so..nothing definitive, all rumors but Verizon has the speeds, service and better price. This might be it for me with Cox, just dont get why they dont compete (or match).

Need to decide next week so service transition is smooth.

Too bad as have been a longtime Cox customer and liked them as a vendor.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

well cox has to make a move to stay competitive so some speed increase and new speed tiers have to be on the way
ericdude8
join:2012-09-07
Henderson, NV

ericdude8 to bryant313

to bryant313
Unleash the 100mb tier!

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to bryant313

MVM

to bryant313
said by bryant313:

well cox has to make a move to stay competitive so some speed increase and new speed tiers have to be on the way

Not anytime soon here in LV. Who is the competition? CL with their 10mb plan in most of the LV area.

Yes, there are some sections that can get higher speeds, but they save that for folks who want Prism.

If I want just Internet, the best that I can do is (up to) 10mb. If I tell them I also want Prism, I can not get 40mb ... split between Internet and Prism. After Prism takes its share, I get 10mb for Internet.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well if/when cox adds a faster speed tier, I don't think competition is gonna matter. What will is if your cox area is D3 or not. I am sure cox will do the same with regards to there ultimate tier, by offering it in there D3 service area's. Pricing is a different matter, and will most likely be set by competition.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
i think cox will go to 100mbps very soon regardless of what Century link is doing

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to bryant313

to bryant313
And now official ...

»Cox Business begins offering 80, 100 Mbps tiers