join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

[CDV] Caller ID on PC

Has anyone else here been having problems with caller ID on your PC? When the service first started, it worked fine. After a particular update months ago, it has become so unreliable that it is practically useless. It drops the connection to the caller id service, causing the login box to reappear, and the service is indicated as unavailable most of the time. I found some discussion about it on the Xfinity.com support forums, but no answer to the problem. It works fine on my TVs. Anyone here have any info?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I know that I added CDV back in May of this year. Since that time, caller ID has never worked on the three TV's in my house, as well as the computer.

I don't remember if I started a thread or it or not, or made a post in another thread, but I never got an answer to why it does not work either.

What I do know is that there was some kind of widespread (not sure if it was company wide or Chicagoland area) outage about a month ago. A neighbor of mine said her caller ID quit working on her TV. Then, like a month later, it started working again.

I have since uninstalled the CDV application from my system. But, when I did have it installed, I did notice the same issues that you were having where it would drop the connection, and the login box would re-appear.

--Brian

jamaicaplain
@comcast.net

jamaicaplain to owlyn

Anon

to owlyn
Same here. CID worked well for both TV and OS X when I first tried it. Then it disappeared altogether for awhile. Then I got it back on TV and that still works well.

I reinstalled on my OS X box and I thought it was going to work but the app logs in and out so much with failed connections that it is useless. I still have it installed but I no longer run it. It was way too annoying. What a piece of %*#^(.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
Same here, works fine on TVs, but on my PC it sux. As you stated, it starts, stops, starts, stops. And it pops up when it stops and drives me crazy... I just stopped using it.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Well, thanks everyone for the confirmation. I can't believe how wide spread the problem is. You'd think Comcast would do something about it.
TheBigCheese
join:2002-08-05
Philadelphia, PA

TheBigCheese to owlyn

to owlyn
Not only have I been having the same problem but Comcast is pretending they never received any calls about the problem so it must be my fault. After the last attempt at a fix, the callerid on one of my TV's stopped working. Now they are stonewalling. They closed the trouble ticket and opened a new one. That way, they get credit for fixing two problems and the problem never shows up on reports to management so management gets bonuses for closing more tickets.
chimerax
join:2012-07-25

chimerax to owlyn

to owlyn
Caller ID on PC mostly depends on the modem unless you are in a network. Check your modem as most of the modems are not compatible with Universal Caller ID. If your modem is compatible try resetting your modem. If that doesn’t work Comcast may be working on something.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

1 edit

mustang50

Premium Member

said by chimerax:

Caller ID on PC mostly depends on the modem unless you are in a network. Check your modem as most of the modems are not compatible with Universal Caller ID. If your modem is compatible try resetting your modem. If that doesn’t work Comcast may be working on something.

HUH???
Exactly how does one check a modem for compatability??
It worked before, then all of a sudden MANY people from all parts of the country started having problems. Look in the Comcast forums under callerID.
Perhaps your thinking of STBs for TV. Some of those aren't compatible.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn to chimerax

MVM

to chimerax
The problem started for everyone with one of the upgrades to the software.
chimerax
join:2012-07-25

chimerax to mustang50

to mustang50
said by mustang50:

said by chimerax:

HUH???
It worked before, then all of a sudden MANY people from all parts of the country started having problems. Look in the Comcast forums under callerID.

I am also experiencing the problem now. I can't find any solutions. I looked in the comcast forums too. I hope it will be solved soon.
chimerax

chimerax to owlyn

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Previous problems will solve after an upgrade but here it created a new problem!!!!!!!@#@# confused

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

said by chimerax:

said by owlyn:

Previous problems will solve after an upgrade but here it created a new problem!!!!!!!@#@# confused

Yes, that is correct. It solved the problem of frequent connect/disconnects, but either created a new one or changed the symptoms to what we have now.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to mustang50

Premium Member

to mustang50
said by mustang50:

said by chimerax:

HUH???

I suspect that chimerax See Profile is thinking of an analog POTS modem that can be used with standard POTS from the teleco, or with independent VoIP connections. I can use a Caller ID compatible analog modem with my Vonage service to see an on screen Caller ID display on a PC. But of course, this has nothing to do with the CDV Caller ID display feature that communicates directly with Comcast through your internet connection.