All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

angry

@wildblue.net

[Fixed] Anyway to tell how far tower is from me using direct l

I ask because i just found out that company has a fixed wireless antenna kinda close to me. I don't know the exact address but they did tell me the town and street. Useing that info and mapquest the tower should be 12-14 miles away. The signal only goes 10 before it gets to weak to use. I know a direct line of site would be less then the distance traveled on the road though as the route is not a straight line lots of corners and a few turns. Should i just ask them to come out and run a test? Is their any way for me to figure out on my own if i'm with in 10 miles as the crow fly's?

angry

@wildblue.net

Re: [Fixed] Anyway to tell how far tower is from me using dire

Does anybody here have an experiences with the company Buggs island telecommunications?

angry

@wildblue.net
Well that was disappointing. I called bit about a month back and they told me they had an antenna on a leased tower on ivor road. I assumed it was in the town of ivor which is about 35 miles from me. Anyway i found out ivor actually starts in courtland . and that the tower is actually in courtland which only 13 miles from me as far as driving is concerned. So at this point i'm excited. I just called and the lady told me they wouldn't offer service from that antenna untill sometime in october. Not because it isn't ready but because they don't want to offer service to customers in a new area untill they upgrade the user end equipment for the already existing customers. To say the the least i'm very sad right now Looks lie i may have to buy a amp and try to get 3g for a couple months.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Quick note: you can turn on ruler functionality in Google Maps to figure out "as the crow flies" distances, such as between you and their tower.

As a side note, ten miles is a pretty long way for a wireless signal to travel; you'll need some high-gain antennas on each end to catch service.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to angry
Nah, I have 15+ mile shots to customers using 5ghz

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Must not be a single obstacle in that path
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to angry
No although I have one at 11 miles with 900mhz that has trees in the path.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

1 edit
really? 11 miles at 900mhz? Does that customer have LOS? 11 miles from a a Verizon tower at 800 is barely possible unless you live in the desert.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

angry

@wildblue.net
iansltx bit claims that you can get a good signal at 10 miles but i guess i'll have to wait and see. Tn again they also claimed they would be out here at the start of 2012.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
The distance really depends on the frequency, how clear the line of sight is, and how big the antennas are. In my terrain, 10 miles is really pushing the limits, although I do have a couple 10+ mile 900mhz and 2.4 ghz links to customers, and if I knew then what I know now, I would be a lot more hesitant about setting them up today. Tower to tower I've done has high as 36 miles on 5ghz, but that is an entirely different type of link.