openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Go Sprint Go!

said by IPPlanMan:

Best thing that ever happened to Sprint was the iPhone. Made the rest of this possible.

Care to explain? The iPhone hasn't made anything possible...especially considering the huge cost to Sprint to even get it in the door.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 edit
Sprint has more subscribers than ever due to the iPhone.
Further investment in WiMax by Sprint would be throwing more money into a black hole. Dan Hesse realized that the company was at risk of slipping past an inflection point... a point of no return if substantial competitive changes weren't made. Hence, Network Vision and the iPhone. Sprint can afford the debt right now. The network needed a complete overhaul to be competitive and offer top of the line devices, and that's what Network Vision does.

The majority of people have come to Sprint specifically for the device and the price (unlimited data, etc). If Sprint wasn't offering the device they wanted, in this case the iPhone, they wouldn't be customers.

Truth is, most of these customers will stick around for the LTE iPhone when Sprint gets it this fall and Sprint will land quite a few new ones due to the price gouging that AT&T and Verizon are doing.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

openbox9
Premium
Germany
Sprint only added a net of 283K subs, all thanks to prepaid and MNVOs. So while the iPhone may have brought in a few new subs and retained some of the existing subs, I'm not sure that you can claim it as Sprint's savior...especially since the company says it won't make any money from the iPhone for three more years.

I agree that further investment in WiMax would be silly at this time.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to IPPlanMan
Only reason I root for Sprint...is because I'm now on Boost Mobile, lol. $40/month for unlimited services is a pretty good price point.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1
reply to openbox9
I think that the iPhone is Sprint's savior.

WiMax was never going to go anywhere, and competitors (AT&T/Verizon) being able to offer an LTE iPhone and LTE iPad (which they currently do) would have left Sprint in the dust.

The fact that the next iPhone will be LTE has forced the idiot laggards (not Dan Hesse, who obviously gets it) at Sprint to realize that its network needed a complete overhaul and that devices drive customers.

Sprint would be in much worse shape without the iPhone, but they still need the iPad. It doesn't need to make money on the iPhone for the next three years. It just needs to buy time while the network vision pieces fall in place and there's a natural attrition from other carriers by people who are sick of price gouging and double dipping on data.

Sprint's going to be just fine.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

openbox9
Premium
Germany
I'm not suggesting the iPhone won't help Sprint a little (even with its insane cost), but I don't believe it's the "must have" device that it was a couple of years ago.

Sprint is getting by. When it gets further along with its Vision plan and if it continues gaining subs, it'll be doing better. Sprint needs to grow subs and revenue or else it risks sliding backwards again.