spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pete1952

@myvzw.com

4510l WiFi bandwidth

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've looked around and don't see that you have already answered this question, but please excuse me if you have.

I just recently signed up for Millenicom 3g/4g Hotspot plan that uses Verizon (that's all that's available in my area). There is only 3G here but after putting up with dialup speeds from Windstream that were supposed to be 26Kbps but were really 19Kbps on a good day, I'm tickled pink with how well the 4510l Jetpack is working.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2086375991.png

My question concerns the WiFi output of the Jetpack. The Verizon manual says "802.11n uses the 2.4 GHz frequency with a bandwidth of 150 Mbps." I have two desktops and a wireless adapter on each. One wireless adapter is rated at 150 Mbps, the other at 300 Mbps. They are both receiving 100% of signal. Yet that 100% is only at 72.2 Mbps. The adapters are both 802.11b/g/n and I have the Jetpack set to n, where it is supposed to give 150 Mbps. Security is set to WPA2 Personal/PSK (AES). Channel is set to auto, which seems to always default to 6. I have tried other channels, but it doesn't help. I have also changed the 802.11 mode to gbn, but that didn't change anything either. I don't know if the 72.2 Mbps makes any practical difference, since it is better than the 3G service anyway, but I am curious.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
You have a 3G connection that theoretically can deliver 3.1 MBPS down. That never happens. Your jetpack or router, despite its capability, will never deliver more than what the ISP is capable of.
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to pete1952
Click for full size
It IS achievable!

sometimes though pairing the same brand router, and the same kind of network adapter yields better results..

I wouldn't worry too much about the %age of thoroughput from the mifi to the computer.

i think you're getting NETWORK speed and ISP speed mixed up.

and like jim said 3.1mbps is theoretical MAX on 3g.

73mbps is the speed of your network (LAN)...not the isp (WAN).

pete1952

@myvzw.com
Yes, that's right. It's the LAN that I mean. As you can see here, I'm only getting 72.2 Mbps when the Jetpack manual says that on 802.11n, it should be delivering 150 Mbps.

I was just wondering why the discrepancy.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to pete1952
alot of that can be how far the mifi is away from the device you are using. Looks like you have full signal strength.

If I move my laptop farther away from the router, the signal doesn't degrade, but the LAN speed drops to about 210mbps..

are you using the 150mbps rated network adapter when you're getting the 72mpbs?

pete1952

@myvzw.com
About 6 ft away from the MiFi and in line of sight, I'm using the 150 Mbps adapter. About 12 ft from the MiFi and through two walls, I'm using the 300 Mbps adapter. I'm getting 72 Mbps on both with full signal strength on both.