Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Onedollar

Premium Member

to Onedollar

Re: Thought FIOS TV was the best until I saw this. Wow

said by Onedollar:

I think in the press conference they mentioned a blue tooth remote?

Right... which is the Nexus tablet. Look at the press package. There's an item under there titled 'The new remote...' And they show a picture of the Nexus, and talk about the fact that the tablet will serve as your remote.

Now, to be fair, it doesn't say that they DON'T allow for a more traditional (albeit blue tooth) remote as well. That's one of those details that aren't there that I was talking about. But it's clear in the package that they're banking on you using the tablet as the remote.

I don't have an issue with that, for the most part, but many many consumers would. There's simply no wide acceptance for such a remote just yet. Even the FiOS remote android app that I now have on my phone - it's very cool, and works really well... but I can't say I'd be thrilled if Verizon told me that the only remote option available to me would be that app. That's what it SEEMS like Google is saying, but I don't know. Like I said - all in the execution.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Hrmm I would think channel changing capabilities would go through wifi network to the network box, vs bluetooth. Guess the devil is in the details.

I agree a tablet for a remote is not what I would want. It needs to be simple small and perform basic functions
said by JPL:

said by Onedollar:

I think in the press conference they mentioned a blue tooth remote?

Right... which is the Nexus tablet. Look at the press package. There's an item under there titled 'The new remote...' And they show a picture of the Nexus, and talk about the fact that the tablet will serve as your remote.

Now, to be fair, it doesn't say that they DON'T allow for a more traditional (albeit blue tooth) remote as well. That's one of those details that aren't there that I was talking about. But it's clear in the package that they're banking on you using the tablet as the remote.

I don't have an issue with that, for the most part, but many many consumers would. There's simply no wide acceptance for such a remote just yet. Even the FiOS remote android app that I now have on my phone - it's very cool, and works really well... but I can't say I'd be thrilled if Verizon told me that the only remote option available to me would be that app. That's what it SEEMS like Google is saying, but I don't know. Like I said - all in the execution.

lijacobs
join:2010-07-30
Woodmere, NY

lijacobs to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

If you look at the entire, long, tedious video of the announcement they do show one of the announcers holding a traditional, small remote. Each of the very small STB's (which is also a WAP and an ethernet swtch BTW) comes with a traditional, small remote. The Nexus tab is gravy.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

I noticed this too, the asian guy was holding a regular remote at one point
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to lijacobs

Premium Member

to lijacobs
said by lijacobs:

said by JPL:

If you look at the entire, long, tedious video of the announcement they do show one of the announcers holding a traditional, small remote. Each of the very small STB's (which is also a WAP and an ethernet swtch BTW) comes with a traditional, small remote. The Nexus tab is gravy.

Ok, I'll take that back, then. I didn't watch the video. I went by what was on their website. Just seems odd to make a point of the fact that your tablet is your remote on their website. I got the wrong impression... it's easy to see other consumers doing the same. Generally when you advertize some novelty, it's treated as an add-on, not as the main feature.

I'm sure much more will shake out as the product rolls out there and the various tech writers get their hands on it.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Just get 1 ghz internet and directv. Problem solved.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Metatron2008:

Just get 1 ghz internet and directv. Problem solved.

Since Stockbridge GA does not have FiOS, why is your comment pertinent? I'm just curious, also what is "1 ghz internet?"