uniqs

awesome6
Premium Member
join:2008-03-03
Reedsville, OH

awesome6

Premium Member

Hey all, need help.

Long time no see. If anyone is still here from when I was here, hi! Onto business at hand. I need help with a debate I'm having with someone. I'm fairly certain there are situations in WOW where a bug or something was patched out of existence, only to unexpectedly reappear in later patches.

Can anyone remember an occasion where this happened? I figure if anyone knows, it's you guys. Hope all is going well in the WOW world. I can't say I miss it, but the memories are good.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Whats the bug your debating?

awesome6
Premium Member
join:2008-03-03
Reedsville, OH

awesome6

Premium Member

It's not a bug with WOW, it's with another game. I made the statement that just because a bug existed at a point in time (15 years ago, to be exact) and also currently exists does not prove that it existed at a point in time in between. (specifically, 2000)

I stated the bug could have been patched out prior to 2k and then inadvertently patched back in during one of the multitude of patches between 2k and 2012. Considering the difference in mechanics in those two time periods and the state of the game, if the bug in question would have been patched back in people would not likely have even noticed.

I wasn't saying that was definitively the case, just saying it was possible. He found the idea "preposterous". I thought a similar situation had occurred in WOW, but couldn't remember specifics.

Yes, I'm looking for backup in a forum fight, and yes...I am ashamed.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well its possible but if such were to happen it'd be due to lazy programing or bad versioning of test bits of code.

Though such could even occue due to the cause of the bug being something slightly differant.

I know in my little bit of programing (I'm not a programer) I've made mistakes that caused 1 bug to come back when I was fixing another just because I copied an older bit of code but forgot to make the fix to that code.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

1 recommendation

Skittles to awesome6

Premium Member

to awesome6
There is a bug in WoW that allows for Alliance shamans and Horde Paladins......still waiting on that fix....

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to awesome6

Premium Member

to awesome6
sup awesome!

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to awesome6

Premium Member

to awesome6
Most of the ones I know of got fixed in a following patch, not a long length of time in between. Most bugs don't last quite as long as your example, if only because there's been fairly substantial changes every expansion. So the underlying system changes too much for older bugs to reappear.

If anything like that has happened, it would generally be within the time an expansion was current, and is usually fixed in a patch or hotfix fairly quickly. You'd have to check patch notes to be sure.

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Tweakbl to awesome6

to awesome6
Diablo III Rubberbanding issues. Blizz said hey we fixed it!!! (In Beta)

Still there in game during certain phases of the game.

I know its a new game but its it a similar example.(Although they may have fixed it partially only to figure out it is happening due to several issues)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Pretty much every issue that affects D3 that Blizzard said they fixed was still present, at least when I uninstalled it last week.

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Tweakbl

You uninstalled to? :-D Welcome to the club.
Sad really they really dropped the ball on this.
I think it was the engine that messed them up.They were running a limited technology in the engine.From what I understand.It is not as flexable as WOW's engine is.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I was part of the original group of D3 naysayers when I played the beta back in 2011 and was completely underwhelmed with the "miniature game" they offered beta testers (up through lvl 13 and to the Skellie King, but you could level the blacksmith to level 5 IIRC). But no, I got nerdraged, and almost everyone declared it was Blizzard with the golden touch, the first Diablo game in a decade so it had to be good, yada yada yada, and I let myself get talked into the WoW yearly subscriber package so I could get D3.

But no, it is the same damn old formula from the beta and it's downright tedious.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to awesome6

Premium Member

to awesome6
I hated the D3 beta. At least through the first three levels the release was at least playable. Then you hit Inferno and the change is just so drastic and for solo players anyway there's just the huge brick wall you hit that it's almost impossible to advance. I can make it to the next check point then I have to stop because it's so frustrating thinking you have a strategy, do everything perfectly, then you get jerked from the other side of the room and one-shot. My biggest fear is Bliz will translate some of that nonsense into WoW.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to awesome6

to awesome6
What up awesome, long time no see. But to contribute to your debate, there was a bug in Warhammer Online where terrain exploits were being used to gain access to the opposing faction's keeps and in essence solo the keep boss (by having healers use aoe heals not requiring LOS while outside the wall in order to keep the tank up), eliminating the need to gather a raid (called warband in WAR) in order to breech the keep gates and take down the boss. There was a huge stink made about it by all players, since both factions where taking advantage of the terrain exploits. Mythic put out a patch that fixed the terrain outside of certain keeps, preventing players from using abilities in combination with terrain features to jump the walls.

This lasted a few months before the exploits resumed. At first glance one would assume that players simply found locations and terrain features that Mythic overlooked, but that wasn't the case. Somehow clearing the wall was possible in the same place using the same exploit, proving that somehow the change was reverted.

This took place from roughly September '08 - January '09.

Hope this helps.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to awesome6

to awesome6
Speaking as a hobbyist programmer, there are two main possibilities where a former bug could come back. Either a logic flaw (that results in the same or a similar bug) or restored code that contains the original bug.

It is definitely possible.