how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to Hitman66610

Re: [Windows] Cannot get network shares working with Boxee Box

You have several devices, and they all need to be in the same network - in your case that sounds like 192.168.0.x . Since the dlink is the router it's also the default gateway for all your devices - so everthing other than the dlink would have it's 192.168.1.x address, subnet mask equal to what you have on the drink (I'd recommend 255.255.255.0) and default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Then you'll get into what's static and what's DHCP, and make sure the static IP's are not within the DHCP range. I'd start with the Dlink (changing it's subnet mask) and work back from there. If you have some sort of diagramming software (visio, dia, etc) then I'd suggest you draw your entire network first and include the IP info so you can have it all planned out before you start. We'd all be happy to help you proof read it. Here's an example to give you an idea of th type of diagram I'm talking about.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
correction - everything should be in 192.168.0.x and use 192.168.0.1 as their gateway. That's why I suggest you diagram it first so you can proof it to make sure it all lines up.

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA

2 edits
said by bdnhsv:

I suggest you diagram it first so you can proof it to make sure it all lines up.

use gliffy.com. free as the dickens.

quote:
and they all need to be in the same network
not always true. this works:

»www.gliffy.com/gliffy/api/client···G&size=L

i had 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.15.1 with a static route to 10.10.15.1 on 10.10.10.1. don't ask why i did it this way. just know i had a good reason to and that the important thing is that it worked.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
That's a good looking tool. Thanks for sharing.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
reply to LowInfoVoter
Sure a static route could work if the router will support it, but it seems like a complex way to accomplish what has been stated (to me anyway). Just my opinion.

Hitman66610
Pan-National Aquisitioner
Premium
join:2010-01-08
Oakville, ON
reply to LowInfoVoter
So here is the layout I have right now: »www.gliffy.com/go/publish/3761479/

I probably would need exact numbers as feedback since lastime I tried to change the IP for the Linksys, it didn't work and I lost access to the web configuration page.
--
Xbox Gamertag: THE GREEN GH0ST

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
Nice job on the diagram. So you have .224 for your WAN subnet mask - do you have 30 public IP's? If so, would you like to use any of those inside your network?