Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to enOehT

Premium Member

to enOehT

Re: [OS X] AIRPLAY not showing up in Mountain Lion

I think it's the hardware H.264 encoding that is enabled on the Sandy Bridge and newer platforms. That's what I was told anyways.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy

Then how come iPads and iPhones are able to do it?
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Razzy:

Then how come iPads and iPhones are able to do it?

The iPhone doesn't do AirPlay mirroring. The new iPad and iPad 2 have hardware encoders to mirror the display to Apple TV.

As for AirPlaying video, if the video plays on an iPhone/iPad it's already in a format that will play on the Apple TV so there's no need to encode it.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

The A4 and A5 have hardware H.264 acceleration built-in.
Count Zero

Count Zero to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
My iPhone 4S can do mirroring.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Count Zero:

My iPhone 4S can do mirroring.

My mistake, I have iPhone 4, it doesn't. Seems like devices with an A4 can't do the needed encoding for mirroring.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Guess you're right. I could check with my wife's iPhone 4 when she gets home but perhaps it is just limited to the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S with their A5s for video mirroring.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Count Zero:

Guess you're right. I could check with my wife's iPhone 4 when she gets home but perhaps it is just limited to the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S with their A5s for video mirroring.

Are we talking about the same thing? I can AirPlay videos from my iPhone 4, I'm talking mirroring what's on the iPhone screen to an Apple TV including the launchpad icon screen.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

said by Count Zero:

Are we talking about the same thing? I can AirPlay videos from my iPhone 4, I'm talking mirroring what's on the iPhone screen to an Apple TV including the launchpad icon screen.

4S does full mirroring, 4 does not.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

said by The Dv8or:

said by Riamen:

said by Count Zero:

4S does full mirroring, 4 does not.

This. When you stream video you aren't mirroring the video - it's just sending the datastream to the AppleTV for processing and viewing. When you mirror your iPhone or iPad creates a data stream in H.264 format of what you're seeing on your screen and sends that to the AppleTV. That's why hardware encoding is so important - sending a raw, uncompressed datastream would be too demanding on the network and using the general CPU to do the encoding would hit system performance greatly.