how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

1 edit

WISP ontario high speed Site #6

Here's a picture of one of my sites, Site #6.

This ones from over a year ago, We have since added 2 nanobirdge's one going north and one going south.

The enclosure has its own copper coated grounding rod about 20 feet away from the tower. The tower has one as well directly next to it bonded to the tower with 4AWG wire to the rod.

The enclosure, the switch, the pony panel, and the surge suppressor the POE's are on all have a direct ground.

We keep the top of the tower free so if we suffer from a direct strike it won't hit any of the antennas.

The pony panel is also protected from surges on the mains via a whole home surge suppressor.

DaSneaky1D
one wall to block them all
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

Are there any concerns with the switch being exposed to the elements in that enclosure? I know it's covered, but it's open to heat fluctuation and humidity.

OHSrob

said by DaSneaky1D:

Are there any concerns with the switch being exposed to the elements in that enclosure? I know it's covered, but it's open to heat fluctuation and humidity.

The box has a thermostat, heater and conditioning, But it is presently disconnected it runs fine without it. If we added a server we might need the air conditioner plugged in again.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
reply to OHSrob

How long does that UPS keep the site going in the winter (cold batteries in unheated cabinet)? Or does that site have generator backup?

OHSrob

reply to OHSrob

The ups lasts about 4 hours in the summer when I installed it (We haven't tested in the winter), If the outage is longer we bring up 5000W generator in.

We plan to get the network management card for this ups at some point so we can have our monitoring software notify us when the power is out.

We only draw about 40 watts in total on this site.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to OHSrob

Any surge protection devices on those POE runs?

OHSrob

said by Hahausuck:

Any surge protection devices on those POE runs?

The foil in the wire as well as the esd wire this provides a ground for ESD to the equipment the metal connector's on the POE have a ground wire right to ground.

I suspect the POE also has surge suppression built in, We had one die once after a really bad storm. Smelled burned led was out.

I changed it out, 0 errors on the Ethernet interface so everything is fine with the radio and the port.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
reply to OHSrob

Cool!
Just as an FYI, you may want to install some horizontal cable management for the switch so that the Cat5 connectors aren't holding up the cable bundle, and you may want to do the same for the PoE power supplies (the 120VAC plugs hanging vertically), that way nothing works its way unplugged due to strain or vibration (from the fans/environmental equipment).

Cheers!

r2d2

join:2012-05-29
reply to OHSrob

Cool site

OHSrob

reply to cablegeek01

said by cablegeek01:

Cool!
Just as an FYI, you may want to install some horizontal cable management for the switch so that the Cat5 connectors aren't holding up the cable bundle, and you may want to do the same for the PoE power supplies (the 120VAC plugs hanging vertically), that way nothing works its way unplugged due to strain or vibration (from the fans/environmental equipment).

Cheers!

I will keep that in mind for future sites and might try that out, Thank You.

We do our best to prevent strain and and have never had any issues with cables coming loose before.

We use AMP branded modplug's for our unshielded infrastructure stuff they have a bit of a better fit in the cisco switch's and don't have the quality issues normally associated with the low cost offshore modplug's.

I don't even think an earthquake and the air conditioner on full at the same time could pull any of these loose . The power cables on them are even tighter fit, The enclosure doesn't really vibrate.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
reply to OHSrob

What's your backhaul? It looks like a UBNT Rocketdish...

OHSrob

said by alphapointe:

What's your backhaul? It looks like a UBNT Rocketdish...

Yup this link does a solid 67-80 megabit's per second half duplex of real world tcp throughput.
--
www.ontariohighspeed.ca

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to DaSneaky1D

I have a friend with a Cisco 3550 in a cabinet that hits 145F daily during the summer. So far after 4 summers it's still running.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

bbchris2nd
Joke Factory

join:2010-09-03
Australia
reply to OHSrob

I'm no expert on WISP.

I'm just curious where can I get those two transmitter (if I'm correct).

How much?
--
Be brave even if you're not. Pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter

Those are APs (Access Points). They transmit and receive. Looks like sectors, but I can't tell if they are packed, or have something like a bullet or other radio / enclosure attached to them. They would run in the couple hundred a piece all made up, or could be more depending on the gear used.