All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

@ShawSean, Isn't Google's fiber price/speed embarrasing to shaw?

Isn't it time for some major FTTH or curb upgrades?
scubascythan
join:2005-05-14

scubascythan

Doubt it. Google won't be coming to Canada to compete.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, Shaw is better than Rogers. The ridiculous high overages and low caps they have compared to Shaw makes Shaw look like the better guy here.

Similar idea with Telus vs Bell. In Ontario they really gouge you for your money so Rogers/Bell resellers are usually much better choices.
Gotspeed
join:2011-12-30

Gotspeed

said by scubascythan:

Also, as much as I hate to say this, Shaw is better than Rogers. The ridiculous high overages and low caps they have compared to Shaw makes Shaw look like the better guy here.

Similar idea with Telus vs Bell. In Ontario they really gouge you for your money so Rogers/Bell resellers are usually much better choices.

I Doubt it too, but I would like to hear ShawSean's comments on Googles new venture. Yes Google won't be running up to Canada anytime soon but for a company to build a brand new network from scratch, then offer such fair prices.....whats Shaw's or any other Canadian incumbents excuse for not offering fiber to the curb for a fair price?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by Gotspeed:

said by scubascythan:

I Doubt it too, but I would like to hear ShawSean's comments on Googles new venture. Yes Google won't be running up to Canada anytime soon but for a company to build a brand new network from scratch, then offer such fair prices.....whats Shaw's or any other Canadian incumbents excuse for not offering fiber to the curb for a fair price?

Really. Why didn't Google run this experience in a large metropolis city? Why didn't it run it in its own back yard.

Its called a stunt. Something Google is famous for. Its a proof of concept act.

BTW Curious to see just how well Arial fiber handles our weather.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to Gotspeed

to Gotspeed
@Gotspeed - Well, I think the video they made with the cars was pretty cool - typical Google creativity. As for your first question, sorry, I've got no idea. I'm just here to support membership with their Shaw services and do my best to answer related questions.

Cheers.

squag
@rr.com

squag

Anon

I have a friend who runs Shaw in Edmonton, their internet has been giving them major issues.

From horrible ping when gaming, to yesterday when they lost connection completely literally every 5 minutes.

Is this a wider spread issue? if not, what actions can be taken? she has tried calling support and they just gave her the "unplug and replug your modem" basically.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by squag :

I have a friend who runs Shaw in Edmonton, their internet has been giving them major issues.

From horrible ping when gaming, to yesterday when they lost connection completely literally every 5 minutes.

Is this a wider spread issue? if not, what actions can be taken? she has tried calling support and they just gave her the "unplug and replug your modem" basically.

Please provide data from when there system is going from pc -> wireless -> router -> modem
pc -> wired -> router -> modem
pc -> modem
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to squag

to squag
said by squag :

Have your friend register on here and PM ShawSean.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to squag

to squag
@squag - both Doonz and ravenchilde made good suggestions. I'll need some additional information before I can provide you with any better ideas of the cause.

First off - how is his network setup? if he's not directly connected to the modem have him connect that way and retest. First thing we want to do is eliminate the router from the equation and retest.

Cheers.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

BROADBAND 50 or higher NO LONGER INCLUDES PERSONAL TV, so is my Broadband 50 +Personal TV for $89.90 now a grandfathered package? Thats what it seems like on the website.... If I get bumped up with the bump up program will I get bumped out of this grandfathered plan? Personally, the website has a $15 difference now between my current plan and the new combo of broadband 50 plan and personal TV package..........?

And having to pay for a modem to own that goes obsolete is just ridiculous when it used to be included in the plan and we can get much better and cheaper wifi routers for around that price. Quite frankly the modem's wifi router is archaic in features and abilities in this day and age, and NOW we have GIGABIT Wifi 802.11ac routers coming out in this last half of the year, is Shaw going to upgrade their modem hardware to new modems with Gigabit wifi? I know the company needs to make money, but this is getting a bit silly with the changes.

P.S. Still not happy with the abilities of the gateway hardware and its software ui configuration. And when do I GET the 5 mb upload promised with the digital switchover in phase 2?

Happiness with Shaw: 1-10 is a 5
Happiness with its customer service: 8
Happiness with you is: 10