Lebanon, PA

1 recommendation

superdog to staregazer

MVM

to staregazer

Re: ARCFlex FreeStation

said by staregazer:

Still haven't fired them up yet?

Yes, I have. They are currently being used on a very short test link (about a mile) to provide back-haul and then access point on a temp site we are working at (It seems my crew MUST have Facebook access while grading, seeding and planting bushes?). Since both radios have an 802.11b/g/n AP in them, I simply fired up the AP at the far end and used it for access. So far so good?. The interface is a little clunky but it works. I guess when you are used to using one type of interface for 3 or 4 years straight, it takes some time to get used to it.

I must say, I LOVE the fact that these radios have the extra AP in them. It saves a lot of time not having to rig up an AP and waterproof it and the antenna that goes with it. Granted, if you want something with more juice than the little rubber duckie that comes with, you still have to tape that up, BUT, it is still a time saver.

I am not sure what to think of the mounting bracket/system?. It seems a little flimsy, but it has held up through a few wicked thunderstorms so far without an issue. It has 2 re-useable black UV resistant zip ties and is very similar to the UBNT setup (I don't use the ones UBNT sends you, as they are white and I doubt they would last long in the sun?). From a personal standpoint, I always use 1 zip tie and one stainless pipe clamp, as I do not trust having the radio stay in place when held on by 2 pieces of plastic, Lol. It is only mounted 20 feet in the air though, so I still don't have any idea how it would do at 150 feet in a 70mph wind? I guess time will tell?

Throughput seems good with low ping times across the link (2 to 3ms average). I have not tested it with a load on though, as the most amount of users I have ever had was 6. I will be putting it through its paces though, as I wonder how it will do with one unit acting as a slave AND 802.11b/g/n AP at the same time with 15 users associated to the AP side of it. I have no clue as to what processor is in it (Where is Lutful when you need him, LMAO!), so the amount of horsepower this thing has is unknown to me (It is probably printed on the box?, am I lazy or what? )
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Funny...the data sheet has plenty of antena/radio info, but no information on how much horsepower the unit has. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's a 400MHz MIPS CPU, similar to M-series Ubnt stuff, but I could be very wrong.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

Funny...the data sheet has plenty of antena/radio info, but no information on how much horsepower the unit has. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's a 400MHz MIPS CPU, similar to M-series Ubnt stuff, but I could be very wrong.

Yes probably a 300 or 400mhz SoC from Atheros.

Edit. actually appears to be a 300mhz Ralink SoC
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

300 or 384? I've owned a couple WiFi routers (Engenius ESR9850, Encore EHNWI-2AN3) that had the 384MHz part on-board and they seemed to perform well enough. The Engenius part could actually hit 600+ Mbps in routing throughput, according to SmallNetBuilder. So if Arc has that CPU inside the ARCFlex it should be decent throughput-wise.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by iansltx:

300 or 384? I've owned a couple WiFi routers (Engenius ESR9850, Encore EHNWI-2AN3) that had the 384MHz part on-board and they seemed to perform well enough. The Engenius part could actually hit 600+ Mbps in routing throughput, according to SmallNetBuilder. So if Arc has that CPU inside the ARCFlex it should be decent throughput-wise.

Appears to be at 384mhz actually.

»www.tracermcc.ru/foto/be ··· 0902.pdf