Premium
join:2003-03-11
Nashville, TN
reply to DarthPrime

Re: 24 Mbps package

Yes, only $5 more: $64.99

DarthPrime

join:2005-02-12
Thanks BlueArcher. Did you call the normal number to order this package? and did you have to ask for anything specific?

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
Yes, the normal number. I actually called about something else and they brought it up. She specifically said it was just released on 11/10, so I am sure at this point all the reps have been trained on it.

There did still seem to be a little confusion about the 24/2 vs 24/4 packages, and she really had no idea whether I would qualify for VDSL or gbond, but those are mildly technical areas that I didn't really expect to get answers from the sales group on.
--
user formerly known as 'bsc'

Jackal1

join:2010-08-10
Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream
Yeah, I chatted yesterday. Found out I can get 12/2 for $3 more than what I'm paying for 12/.8, or 24/2 for $10 more. Would be well worth it to get the higher upload for $3/mo if I didn't have to fork over $120 for a new modem. Oh, well...maybe they'll have some specials later on?

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
They will let you spread the cost of the modem over 3 months, which is what I did.
--

DarthPrime

I called today, and was told its not available to me yet, but coming soon. I was told to call back in Dec.

Jackal1

Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to BlueArcher
said by BlueArcher:

They will let you spread the cost of the modem over 3 months, which is what I did.

It's not that I need it spread, just not sure it's worth an additional $10/month for a year to get the additional speed. Of course, it's paid for after that, so....

Guess I'll have to ponder a little longer.

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
Let me post my speed tests tomorrow, that might help
--

Jackal1

Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to BlueArcher
I changed my mind. Decided to bite the bullet. Right now I'm going to go with the 12/2 for $3 more/month. With the modem charge, that's like $13/month for the next year. I could go to 24/2 for $7 more, but I haven't decided for sure yet. It sounds like it won't take a truck roll to do that since it sounds like (here at least) they're both Gbond...?

ChadS81

join:2008-01-20
Saint Marys, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream
I'm a stone throw from the DSLAM and have experienced too many issues with my line after upgrading from 6mb to 12 to even consider upgrading my speed to 24. My SNR is 11-12 typically with an attenuation level of 18, hard to beat that attenuation level. At one point after a month of troubleshooting the issue WS was recommending downgrading back to the 6MB package, just sweep the dirt under the carpet rather than finding the root of the issue.

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
reply to Jackal1
I have been trying hard to get the specifics around these packages. Like whether 12/2 is always ADSL2+, 24/2 is always ADSL2+ Gbond, and 24/4 is always VDSL2 or what?

I am going to ask the tech lots of questions when he comes

Chad, my ADSL2 stats are about the same as yours, 11 SNR, 19 Attn... What I do not know is whether I will still be served from the same physical line or RT once they switch me to VDSL. Should be interesting to learn.
--

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by BlueArcher:

I have been trying hard to get the specifics around these packages. Like whether 12/2 is always ADSL2+, 24/2 is always ADSL2+ Gbond, and 24/4 is always VDSL2 or what?

I am going to ask the tech lots of questions when he comes

Chad, my ADSL2 stats are about the same as yours, 11 SNR, 19 Attn... What I do not know is whether I will still be served from the same physical line or RT once they switch me to VDSL. Should be interesting to learn.

Unless they're going to use Annex M to achieve higher than 1.5Mbps on the upload, which I don't see happening (even the Comtrend CPEs don't support it), more than likely it'll be either bonded ADSL2+ or VDSL2, depending on the distance of your loop. Anyone close enough will probably get a VDSL2 profile while customers with longer loops will get bonded ADSL2+, except for the 24/4 plan, that'll be strictly VDSL2 and PON.

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
The 1704 does support Annex M
--

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
said by BlueArcher:

The 1704 does support Annex M

The Sagemcom? I don't think it does.

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
said by xsbell:

The Sagemcom? I don't think it does.

At the very least in the Advanced Setup > DSL menu it has an AnnexM Enabled checkbox
--

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
The tech is here, he stated that they are installing the Gbond service. And this is his first install.
--

jerminy11

join:2011-12-27
Texarkana, AR
Looking forward to a speedtest

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
Well it is up, but I am not getting any faster than around 13 Mb downstream yet. Techs are still here working on it. One of my paths is showing max rate is 14399 kbps, the other is showing only 8064 kbps. Also indicates Aggregate Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 28798. Upload speed is getting about 1.7-1.8 Mbps throughput. He said it is testing perfect at the NID. Sad because I have CAT5 to all my phone jacks, so I would hope it isn't an inside wiring problem.

I really had my heart set on that 4 Mbps upload, so I will have to look in to that situation with Aaron. The field guy doesn't seem to know about the VDSL2 implementations.
--

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
Currrently up to about 17-18 Mbps downstream. Still room for improvement, and the 2nd path is still showing only 8064 Kbps sync rate.
--

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
reply to BlueArcher
So we decided that the interface is just confusing, because it shows Line 0 with path 0 and path 1, and line 1 with path 0 and path 1. It seems to use Path 0 for both Line 0 and 1, for an aggregate sync speed of 28798.

My speed tests are inconsistent at best. To Atlanta, Chicago, and Cincinnati, i get anywhere between 5 and 18 Mbps. On Windstream's own speed test page, I get 18-20 Mbps on the multi-stream section, but only 3-6 Mbps on the single-stream section.

I never really had a problem getting 11-12 Mbps on my old package on any server.

Upload is consistently 1.75 or so Mbps
--

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
reply to BlueArcher
Also, the Comtrend I got, 5600u shows Annex M in the config, and the PDF doc shows "Comply with ITU-T G.992.5, ITU-T G.992.3, AnnexA/L/M" »www.comtrend.com/int/dbase/uploa···1029.pdf

I am still trying to tweak with this thing... I have peaked as high as 2.5 MB or 20 Mbps, but never more than that. And only using multistream apps like a Linux ISO torrent download. Getting above 18 Mbps on a single stream is nearly impossible, and in general even exceeding 12 Mbps is rare.

The jury is still out on this one, folks.
--

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN

1 edit
reply to BlueArcher
I gotta say.. I am really not all that pleased with the performance of this line so far. Let's do some math.

My aggregate line rate is 28798 Kbps (28.12 Mbps). This is a pretty hefty oversync to account for PPPoE and ATM overhead. Consider a nominal overhead of 13%, and you get 25054.26 Kbps (24.47 Mbps). So we know that with my sync rates I should easily achieve over 24 Mbps throughput in real world use. I will just round down and use the advertised rate 24 Mbps, which should give 3072 KB/s actual download speeds.

11:30 PM

Right now I have a large download running at 1300 KB/s. That should leave over 1700 KB/s for other things, which is more than my old 12 Mbps package had in total bandwidth. If I try to add a YouTube video, at 1080p, it buffers every few seconds. Lower it to 720p. It buffers every few seconds. Lower it to 480p. It just barely keeps up with the video playing, but it doesn't buffer.

Windstream's own speed test site is giving me less than 4 Mbps ratings on single stream tests.

With nothing else running, or even plugged in to the network, speeds are all over the map, none of them I would call acceptable:

--

DarthPrime

That's disappointing to hear BlueArcher. Hopefully Windstream gets the new speeds working better.

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY
Yea! Here's hoping they get the kinks worked out!

Jackal1

Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to BlueArcher
Wow...hope I don't have those issues. I just got 24/2 installed, and so far so good. Showing 28798 Kbps also. Last speedtest I ran a few minutes ago was 24M down and 1.8M up. Tech said that was in their normal range.

Oh...and they do use Gbond here, at least at my site, as I'm too far for VDSL. It sounds like they have VDSL here also, just not for me...hence no mention of 24/4 when I called to inquire.

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN

1 edit
Tech told me exactly where my remote terminal is, and said it is 2500-2900 ft wire line. Confirmed there are no bridge taps. There were two guys here, and one of them was actually the one that set my DSL up when I moved into this house over 3 years ago.

Line 0 (Downstream, Upstream)
SNR Margin (dB): 22.1 , 12.5
Attenuation (dB): 16.5 , 7.9

Line 1 (Downstream, Upstream)
SNR Margin (dB): 21.3 , 12.5
Attenuation (dB): 21.0 , 10.8

Also, clearly some routing changed somewhere in the Windstream network, because I used to get 20-25 ms to servers in Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas... now I can't find a single city around me that I get less than 40 ms to. Doubling my ping for all game servers in those areas, and decreasing my single stream throughput dramatically (google bandwidth-delay product). I think this happened before the upgrade though, since I noticed it last week.

--

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
reply to BlueArcher
I have tried disabling the bonding on the modem so I can test the lines individually, but obviously the DSLAM is expecting the signal to be muxed because I can't reach the Internet when bonding is disabled. I do get an IP address though, so maybe I am missing a setting.

I am currently downloading an Ubuntu ISO from »ftp://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/ a site that has 11 Gbps of Internet bandwidth, where I have maxed out my old 12 Mbps many times as well as faster connections than 24 Mbps... currently getting only 395 KB/s average throughput.

Some tests from earlier:

--

Jackal1

Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream

4 edits
reply to BlueArcher
Just for comparison, my download speed to the site you listed is about twice yours. About 750 KB/s, which should be, what...about 6Mbps? I've gotten other downloads up to about 16Mbps using bittorrent, so maybe it's a bottleneck in Windstream's routing somewhere?

For comparison:
Line 0
SNR Margin (dB): 15.3 12.0
Attenuation (dB): 22.5 11.7

Line 1
SNR Margin (dB): 17.0 12.4
Attenuation (dB): 23.0 11.3

Assuming that higher SNR Margin values are better (since that would seem to mean that you have a better signal to noise ratio), it seems that your lines are better than mine...

BlueArcher
Premium
Nashville, TN
Interesting about your speeds to the ANL site. Usually that thing flies. I have really yet to find any site that consistently even fills up 12 Mbps for me, something I had no trouble with before. Even repeated speed tests to the same destination yield wildly fluctuating speeds.

Higher margins are better, lower attenuation is better. My line is perfect stats wise and the tech tested it multiple times inside and outside and agree with that.

I like your 5 ms ping to that Plattsmouth site. Almost guarantee they are hosting that thing inside a Windstream facility, or their ISP is peering with Windstream in Omaha. It would be hard to have 5 ms otherwise. That is probably why you smoke that test on speed.

I just downloaded the new Nvidia beta driver for Assassin's Creed III support, and I had a hard time breaking 300 KB/s. The graph is a perfect example of fluctuating speeds.. I never really hit a flat line on any transfer.

--

Jackal1

Lincoln, NE
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to BlueArcher
Yeah, I'm sure it's either hosted out of a Windstream site or is peered in Omaha. I'm pretty sure Plattsmouth is served by Windstream, but on the commercial side they may have other options.

But, at least it lets me know that any delays/lack of throughput isn't on my end or even "local". When I was having problems a few months back of 1Mbps downloads, it was to the same Plattsmouth site, so I knew it had to be either me or in Lincoln. Turns out it was a problem here in Lincoln that was finally resolved.

Well, good luck with your speeds. I wonder if it has to do with how they route and peer things internally? We are probably peered to the "outside world" at different locations or by different routes, and maybe mine is just a little less congested/shorter/whatever?