spc
uniqs
pappy97
join:2007-03-12
El Paso, TX

pappy97 to jarablue

to jarablue

Re: Verizon upgrading FIOS tiers

So has anyone in a BPON area, where they could not order the 150 or 300 tiers online, been able to convince a rep via phone to let the 150 or 300 order go through and then they get upgraded to GPON?

I have yet to see one person report as much for residential, and only seen one get the order through on small business.

Anyone? Thanks!

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip

As in the other thread pappy97, I'm anxious to see how this plays out as well. I know that I'm still BPON and I don't know that my CO, as noted in the other thread, has GPON.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

1 edit

Zero5

IIRC, I believe Verizon's online system is sophisticated enough to distinguish if your CO has deployed GPON alongside BPON for those COs that got upgraded. So if you're currently on BPON and the online system says you're eligible for a 100+ mbps tier, then your CO also has GPON. If the 100+ tiers arn't available to you online, then your CO is only BPON. Of course there might be very few exceptions where the online data is inaccurate.

It'll be interesting to see how much demand in an area is needed for VZ to justify adding GPON to a CO. I'm not sure exactly what their criteria is - from things like number of subscribers, to capacity based on existing tiers subscribed, or based on the amount of remaining BPON equipment for new subscribers (or lack of BPON equipment).

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip

Nah, mine shows 75/35 only. Still stuck on BPON I guess.
mkunichi
join:2002-09-01
Hoboken, NJ

mkunichi to Zero5

to Zero5
A few weeks ago, the online upgrade center was showing a 150/65 bundle for me at $179 a month. This option is no longer available for me. The fasted tier listed is now 75/35 for $159. This is for a triple play with the Ultimate HD tv package.

I am in Hoboken, NJ (New York metro area).
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

2 edits

prisaz to pappy97

to pappy97
said by pappy97:

So has anyone in a BPON area, where they could not order the 150 or 300 tiers online, been able to convince a rep via phone to let the 150 or 300 order go through and then they get upgraded to GPON?

I have yet to see one person report as much for residential, and only seen one get the order through on small business.

Anyone? Thanks!

Not here in Montgomery County, Maryland. I went to the highest levels of Verizon and was first told they would need to install a splitter in my C/O to change a fiber feed to to handle the GPON. ~$1500 cost from the local budget. Then after an "engineering review", I was told that there was no GPON, and it would cost ~$8500, and to high a price for a single user. My question was, "how can you sell something to more than a single user, if you can't provide it"? This was to Mike Ritter's, office and discussed with a Sr. Staff Consultant Verizon Corporate Marketing - Broadband. It was kicked down to a consultant to follow up. The above answers are what I received through the engineering and marketing channels, from the top down. So it is a marketing issue. If you are in a market area where you only have one competitor, then forget it. Like for me, Verizon is in bed with Comcast, and Comcast is the only other broadband supplier. So it is BPON and 75/35 limit for now and any forseeable future. Really stinks from my point of view. Since that is not what the Quantum press release said. It sort of did when it said you must qualify for higher speeds. Well to quality, what is ment, Verizon marketing, and management must see a reason to compete with their bed fellows.(Comcast)
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

I got them to upgrade the Wylie CO to GPON. I'm currently running on 150/35 business in Murphy
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz

said by McBane:

I got them to upgrade the Wylie CO to GPON. I'm currently running on 150/35 business in Murphy

Lucky you. But you are paying much more than you would for a residential bundle. They also must have seen other financial gains in doing so.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Well my company pays since I work at home. I just pay for the TV side. I need static IPs for work. I'm almost positive business sales reps are much more inclined to push an upgrade through than residential sales reps though.