urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: [Serious] Scarborough block party turns violent

Agreed. A lot of young men need a positive male role model which they may not be getting at home.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Great find DJ... and bang on... this is a very complex issue and simple stop gap, feel good fixes are not addressing the bigger problems in our society...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Agreed. A lot of young men need a positive male role model which they may not be getting at home.

I don't think people truly grasp the benefits Toronto and other cities around the country would have saw had even a fraction of the money that had been wasted on something like the long gun registry had been invested into after school sports programs. I just shake my head when I think about it, because so much benefit had been thrown down the toilet while we were paying for such a useless program.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Exactly the long gun registry was one of those stop gap, feel good reactions to a singular (albiet very tragic) event that did not address the root cause...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's not very often I agree with you vue, but that's exactly what it was.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Yeah...sometimes a cat & dog will stop at the same watering hole & share a sip without scratching and biting each other.... LOL

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to urbanriot

MVM,

to urbanriot
said by Gone:

Sports programs are a *huge* benefit to the community and are an excellent way of keeping at-risk youth out of trouble for a whole slew of reasons - teamwork, having something to do, working for a cause greater than oneself, etc. The article is bang on. Even the non-competitive systems that they're setting up for younger kids now is a great way to keep them out of trouble and give them the foundation for staying out of trouble.

said by urbanriot:

I couldn't agree more. Kids with too much free time are very 'At Risk' of finding trouble.

I'll go one step further though and include girls and a broader scope of organized activities to include dance classes, crafts, instruments and other arts for starters.

I'd also like to see after school programs better funded with decent pay for the people we are putting in these 'role model' positions to attract quality individuals.

They long term pay off for the individuals and society would imo far outweigh the cost. Imagine spending money on kids now or we can pay later.