McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to gatorkram

Re: [D3] Still playing? [poll]

I quit for 2 reasons.

1) I get bored very quickly(hence my 50mg/day Aderall script), and while at first the challenge of Inferno was fun on my Barbarian; grinding Acts I and II lost its luster pretty quickly.

2) A game should not be centered around its economy. Period. I am flat out ashamed of the amount of money I spent on this game in order to remain competitive(somewhere around $70 in the RMAH alone.). I've never been an AH manipulator, a crafter, or someone who has the ability to generate a ton of currency in game. So, the fact that the entire game revolves around the AH, in -game or real money, is disheartening. I can only imagine how much money people with less self-control than me threw away on pixels.

However, when PvP is released I will make a brief comeback to check it out. At least until I realize that in order to be competitive I will need to drop even more coin.
--
McBrain#1558 - Barbarian/Monk

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to gatorkram

Let us not forget Blizzard was releasing media about D3 BEFORE Cataclysm was announced.

No excuse for the level of suck this game has.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to gatorkram

Still playing, but my focus has shifted. I'm not gunning to complete Inferno, but just get a level 60 for each class. The inferno game is broken beyond all hell - at best, it's a grind with no entertainment satisfaction. Maybe once I've leveled everything up, there'll be a reason to keep pounding away on a level 60.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

I'm not spending any $$ on the RMAH, and the gold AH minigame gets old fast.

Yup. When I found myself playing the AH spreadsheets more than actual demon slaying, I concluded that the end game is borked.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to gatorkram

And one more plug for Hardcore. The game's actually pretty fun on the HC side of things:

• The AH is appropriately priced. No level 5 items for crazy amounts or high end items for a bajillion gold.
• You can, and will find item upgrades - simply because there's an item sink & nobody's stockpiling the best of the best of gear.

Downside? The whole Hardcore death thing. So, if you can get around having to maybe potentially re-level someone and enjoy classic D2 looting, gearing, and killing things...HC's pretty damn fun.

cyrus360
Getting Freaky With It
Premium
join:2003-02-16
Sedro Woolley, WA
reply to gatorkram

Anyone interested in selling their account or trading for a Tera account?
--
»www.freakynorm.com

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram

Thanks for keeping the topic going.

Keep on voting!

Anyone looking forward to finding out what the downtime on Tuesday is all about? Some think its the 1.0.4 patch.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to gatorkram

I quit over a month ago.
All the issues that have plagued it from Beta are pretty much still there. (Rubberbanding/Insane Affix combos that are not balanced/Inferno troubles)

If they end up "Jay Wilsoning" WOW I will quit that to. And that is not just my account but my Sons to. After 3 plus years of sub fees and countless hours in WOW. I will cut their fundage out.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

Downside? The whole Hardcore death thing. So, if you can get around having to maybe potentially re-level someone and enjoy classic D2 looting, gearing, and killing things...HC's pretty damn fun.

Yeah... no. You have to stop playing at some point, because you cannot so ridiculously overgear the content that you won't get that one unlucky time you get a bad combo and can't escape. (something like fast/chains/prison/mortar/desolation and gg).

If I wanted to play HC, I'll go play DayZ.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

said by Krisnatharok:

Yeah... no. You have to stop playing at some point, because you cannot so ridiculously overgear the content that you won't get that one unlucky time you get a bad combo and can't escape. (something like fast/chains/prison/mortar/desolation and gg).

That's why if you continue on your level 60+ grind, you farm Act 1 Inferno. It's not for everyone, but still definitely worth at least one try before you quit for good. Still on my first HC toon of a Demon Hunter - level 42 and going up.

Shatter

join:2006-07-24
Waterford, MI
reply to gatorkram

I hope their RMAH experiment went well because thats all D3 was.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to gatorkram

I'm still playing, because I can never seem to play more than an hour or two at a time. I killed Azmodan for the first time this weekend.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Tehuno

join:2005-01-18
Bartlesville, OK
kudos:1
reply to gatorkram

still playing, at the end of act 2 inferno now. Ill play till i can kill inferno diablo once, then ill be done.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to gatorkram

Taking a break, got fed up with Inferno Barb Act2 ->3 gear problems.

Edit: I don't understand how Blizzard could make this game and not test how the AH would affect it. The entire game was tested and balanced without the AH being used, now they wonder why it isn't what they expected. If they wanted to lower prices, they should make all BS crafting minimal gold if not any. The money will come out through Gems, then they just add gold sinks, but as it stands, they best bang for your buck is the AH.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to gatorkram

I'm still playing, though in small doses. I was stuck in Act II Inferno for quite a while, but finally managed to get through that after switching to a tanking DH build, which has made things more fun again. I think I'm going to hit a gear wall in Act III again though, so will mean more farming or playing the AH to gear up further. I hope to actually beat Inferno Diablo at some point, then that will probably be it for me.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to stvnbrs

After this weekend I'm about ready to throw in the towel. My favorite wizard is stuck, act 2 wasps ftw.

Demon hunter is still progressing, got 1-shotted by hell Belial multiple times until I bought more resist gear on AH.

I started to level a monk because I thought with all their crazy defensive mitigation and OneWithAll passive (highest resist % applies to all types) I would be able to gear her enough to survive inferno, but then I read that they are not really better than barbs and their gear costs more because supposedly bots use them and they share gear with DHs.

No incentive to level the WD because their resource system is completely broke, and my barb is like a glass cannon right now.

I was going to upgrade my Staff of Herding to hell level and farm that but then read the NM one is 400k which I don't have and the hell one is 750k or something...

I think people have basically said it. Advancement in inferno is not about skill, but all about gear. In WOW if you had sucky gear, there are multiple avenues to getting mediocre ones that made you functional.

I think if they fixed blacksmithing such that it's not so expensive to try to craft something, that will help a lot to rein in the crazy AH costs. Of course there's all this talk about Blizzard not having any incentive to do so since they get their RMAH cut, but if the game dies completely then you get no golden eggs from a dead goose.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to gatorkram

Still have the game on my computer but I haven't logged into D3 in a couple of weeks and haven't really played in almost a month. I got a barb to 55 in act 2 hell, but after reading stuff here and talking to friends about the grind required for inferno I stopped. I can handle grinds if I know there is something at the end of the tunnel, but the randomness of drops, crafted items and the rigoddamndiculous prices on both AH's which is really the only way you gear up, I just stopped. Diablo was killed twice in my mind, I shouldn't need to do it a couple more times with the same toon if it isn't that exciting for me.
--
He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Zupe

said by Zupe:

I'm still playing, though in small doses. I was stuck in Act II Inferno for quite a while, but finally managed to get through that after switching to a tanking DH build, which has made things more fun again.

Any useful links for that? Never heard that kind of makeup.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Thaler:

said by Zupe:

I'm still playing, though in small doses. I was stuck in Act II Inferno for quite a while, but finally managed to get through that after switching to a tanking DH build, which has made things more fun again.

Any useful links for that? Never heard that kind of makeup.

DH tanking is discussed here.
»[D3] New level 60 demon hunter guide I found

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Eh, other than the disc regen build, I don't really see too much of a tank build mention.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

said by Thaler:

Eh, other than the disc regen build, I don't really see too much of a tank build mention.

The main DH Tank discussion is on the official boards - »us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6202180373
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

Aybl

@xo.net

I finally got my first toon to 60 (WD) and then parked her in Act III Hell, once I got the max level I just didn't see the need to keep pushing just to see how hard Inferno was... Have a 50 wizard who will probably do the same.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to gatorkram

Still playing, but have been playing very casual since I got it (didn't pick it up at release time either).

The game is fun, but doesn't have that same replay value feel Diablo 1 and 2 gave me. Only on Act II Nightmare with my only toon (DH) so I plan to keep playing for a while.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to gatorkram

I'm a seriously casual player. I hit level 60 on my wizard about 2 weeks ago. Got past Inferno Act I (with some help) and just totally get owned in Act II. I started a Monk, but have really lost interest in the game. I need to find something else I can put my time into.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

Besice

join:2011-06-16
Tempe, AZ
reply to gatorkram

I havent played it for about a month now, its just a waste of time really since the drops are pretty lame and there really isnt anything else to shoot for once you get to the end.

Oh well, back to LoL and L4D2 for now.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Besice:

I havent played it for about a month now, its just a waste of time really since the drops are pretty lame and there really isnt anything else to shoot for once you get to the end.

All video games are a waste of time. That's the point of them.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

2 edits

said by Draiman:

said by Besice:

I rather waste my time in a game I enjoy instead of this.

Edit: jobbish
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
reply to gatorkram

I have stopped playing. Spent a few bucks in the RMAH when i first hit 60 to progress. Got through Act2, hit wall in Act3 and just dont feel the urge to spend more money on pixels just to grind.
Being the game had no monthly subscription, i had no qualms about spending some cash on gear to get started. However, as most said, i have never received an upgrade from an item i have looted. On top of that, i dont have time to trend AH market data to get enough gold to buy the super inflated items that are required to progress. No progress=no bueno.

Now i will wait for GW2 and continue to dabble with LoL

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

It's beyond a waste of time when you hit an artificial wall and no clear means in game to bypass it.

With the way the drop system is currently implemented, you could go 100s of hours before the RNG coughs up the gear you need. Your only realistic choices are the AH (over-inflated) or the RMAH (why pay more for a broken game?) and neither of those are the "fun" part of Diablo.

Besice

join:2011-06-16
Tempe, AZ
reply to Draiman

Fifty, its honestly boring for me but if you need a monk now and then to help you farm I can probably donate 5min haha.

I would rather we run some league games or smurfs even over d3 as it is right now.