iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

[Bill] Can't downgrade over chat

Fun fact I just found out: you can't downgrade Comcast services anymore via chat, or any web venue for that matter. If you want to upgrade, sure, they can do that. But downgrading, which used to be available via chat, now isn't. You have to call Comcast and speak to a customer service rep.

This wouldn't be too much of an issue, except that Comcast has cut back their customer service hours from 24x7 to 66 hours per week: Monday through Saturday, 8am to 7pm. Among the list of inconveniences out there, sure, this is lower on the list than some things. However getting customer service downgrades when I'm paying $115 per month for Internet-only service is not my idea of a good time.

Comcast is the best ISP available in Golden, CO, there's no question about that. However that doesn't mean that they should race to the bottom on customer service, nipping at CenturyLink's heels.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
their online chat
is like garbage
like such big garbage
like they just want you to die during the chat so they can end the chat

go call them, a pain i kno make the time.

ssgc

join:2012-07-10
Sunnyvale, CA
Their chat comcast is HORRIBLE and that putting it nicely. Besides long delays in response and repeating yourself a couple of times.Their overseas chat people have NO say in any billing problems etc just take the info and pass it to somebody in the USA. Just send them an email saves you time and aggravation

Got a good laugh when asked for last 4 of ss did not want to give it and he says ok just give me the numbers off the cable modem like i am going to turn it around and read that long digits of numbers in microscopic print

HAVE A COMCASTIC DAY ALL

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
reply to iansltx
Unfortunately as you discovered, Comcast chat is very limited in scope.
--
Deeds, not words

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to iansltx
you can call comcast 24x7....now whether or not you get a NA CAE is another story....but the phone number doesnt shut down.
--
I'm better than you!

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to iansltx
Being able to get service or upgrade via all methods, but being able to downgrade or cancel only by speaking with a rep is pretty common in all service industries. They want you to talk to a rep on the phone or in person so they can try to dissuade you, correct an issue and/or get you to accept a retention offer. It's also not un-common for companies to filter customers through lower-level and/or off shore reps before getting them to a fix agent or retention employee. Having said all that, I know it's frustrating and I don't like it either when I have to deal with it. But it is the current state of customer service with these large companies, and until something happens to force them to do otherwise we'll all have to keep dealing with it if we do business with them.

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to iansltx
LOL really? Wow,ok I am cancelling my service right now because ummmmm wait no I will keep it instead because I would rather do business on the phone or in person anyway and if its 7PM I will just wait 13 hrs if I need to downgrade. Chat to me is just for people who don't have enough backbone to look at somebody and say what's on their mind or on the phone whatever it may be. That is just my opinion,its just like ranting on here through text instead of taking the issue to comcast which whom would be the only source that could possibly resolve your issues in most cases. I tried that live chat one time,no twice once with Gateway and another with Comcast and personally they should do away with it all together.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to gar187er
The offices for downgrade/disconnect are closed part of the day though. That's what I'm talking about.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to bdnhsv
Here's the thing: they used to do this over chat...

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to JPnATL
I did contact Comcast. Their ComcastCares Twitter team got me squared away. However it's a level of effort that some people won't go to, because they don't have Twitter.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to JPnATL
Not allowing chat to change account items is about security.

Wheather it's your 13 year old trying to hide they pay per view he ordered or some neighbor/prankster adding or deleting items from your account, they need to talk directly to someone either on a verifible phone # associated with the account or having the last 4 of account holders SS#.
It doesn't stop everything but it cuts fraud way down and creates a legal path to persue illegal activity nationwide, something the chat doesn't yet have the legal status everywhere yet.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to iansltx
Unfortunately cost controls have undesirable side effects.
They used to have a skeleton staff through part of the night but with hold times exceeding most peoples patience limits it seems better to be fully staffed 16-20 hours a day, then half-assed 24/7.

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to iansltx
ian - here's the other thing - they don't do it now. It is what it is. If you can live with it, then continue to do business with them, If not, then find another provider. You have the right to vote with your wallet.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
I'm moving out of the state. Effective a few weeks from now, I couldn't use them even if I tried (Austin is TWC-land).

Also, I'm opining the lack of customer service, rather than switching providers, because CenturyLink tops out at 5 Mbps down, 896 kbps up at the same location, SkyBeam almost certainly can't serve me due to line of sight issues (and I hear they're a bad company anyway), cellular providers have low caps and satellite has low caps and high latency. So Comcast is the last of a multitude of evils here. Kind of like TWC is in Austin (there CenturyLink is replaced with AT&T...at 3 Mbps...and no fixed wireless operator serves residences in that part of Austin AFAIK).