uniqs
share rss forum feed

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

4 edits
reply to SoCalDude

Re: [HD] HD Set-top box rental fee increased?

said by SoCalDude:

$12 for a digital adapter is ridiculous.

Yep even in Jersey they increased the price for the digital adapter from $3.99 to $5.99 which is only a dollar cheaper then the HD stb. I guess they want everyone to have the stb so they can gorge more money from the on-demand/ppv.

So I returned the two digital adapters and Im now using a trick on 2 tvs to save. I have 2 HD stb boxes feeding two tvs each (one HD, one std) and then I use a IR repeater for the remote. Of course you have to watch the same program on both TV's but it works great for the bedroom and computer-room tv's as they are only used if the main hdtv's are not.

gene18025

join:2010-03-01
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to VirtualLarry

my 3 boxes went up $6 and by coincidence my $20 discount also expired at same time. but then the taxes went up over $5. how is this possible? so if the total bill rose by $26 how does the tax increase from $18+ to $24 ? that's a 30% increase...I doubt if any of the Verizon customer service bozos will be able to explain the increases in all of the various taxes we are charged. My love affair with Fios is really on the rocks.

baxzy

@verizon.net
reply to VirtualLarry

"I can understand your concern with the recent price increase. Please be assured that we strive to keep price increases to a minimum. I am sorry, I am not able to decrease the price to the previous level.

Since Verizon launched FiOS TV in late 2005, we have continuously upgraded our technology without a rate change to the TV equipment. Even though you may maintain the same equipment, Verizon routinely updates the technology that delivers the content to your set top boxes. To bring this level of programming and technology to you, we need to modify our rates.

I hope I have resolved your reason for contacting us. If you have additional questions, or if we may be of assistance to you in the future, please let us know. We look forward to serving you.

Thank you for using Verizon. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Janis
Verizon eCenter"

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

said by SoCalDude:

$12 for a digital adapter is ridiculous.

Yep even in Jersey they increased the price for the digital adapter from $3.99 to $5.99 which is only a dollar cheaper then the HD stb. I guess they want everyone to have the stb so they can gorge more money from the on-demand/ppv.

So I returned the two digital adapters and Im now using a trick on 2 tvs to save. I have 2 HD stb boxes feeding two tvs each (one HD, one std) and then I use a IR repeater for the remote. Of course you have to watch the same program on both TV's but it works great for the bedroom and computer-room tv's as they are only used if the main hdtv's are not.

I do something similar in my living room and kitchen. Have an HD STB in the living room, use component to that tv and then run HDMI through the wall to the kitchen tv.

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo

join:1999-10-18
Camarillo, CA
reply to VirtualLarry

In SoCal, my DVR+2(HD) bundle went up by $6. Every time I pay my bill I get annoyed because I have to pay for the mechanism to watch the channels I am already paying for. I'm surprised they don't charge for each inch of coax between the wall and the box. You need that, too. It is all a unfair because we are forced into renting their gear; we can't go out and buy our own stbs and skip the $480 annualized rental. This whole cable TV thing (by whatever delivery) is a racket but those of us in remote, outlying regions have no choice by to pony up the bucks

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo

Camarillo, CA
reply to VirtualLarry

Oops double post sorry

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to almahix

said by almahix:

we can't go out and buy our own stbs and skip the $480 annualized rental.

TiVo plus cablecard is an alternative to the DVR. Used to be Moxi plus cablecard was also suitable, but those are no longer available to public. I regret not purchasing a MoxiMate while I could.

I'm sure aaronwt will chime in with the streaming options from TiVo, and I believe there's a new TiVo model coming out soon that features direct streaming rather than through an XBox.

Cablecard rates stayed the same when STBs went up. Shhh. You didn't hear it from me.

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo

Camarillo, CA

For many years I used TiVos. Still have to pay $3.99/mo each to the big red. And pay TiVo! Seems like any way one goes one pays for something more than once. Everybody is entitled to a chunk of my meager "earnings" but why this double charging? It is like the old phone co. M.O. You want a phone line? Sure! Oh, you want a phone to use that line? That will cost extra. Do you want it black or black?

Not to mention the old come on: Want touch tone? Sure, just a couple extra bucks a month (for those who don't know how to swap tip and ring). More than 1 phone (for the uber-rich)? Cough it up! A pink "princess" phone? etc.

Hopefully cable will go the same way. Here's your cable for a fixed price. Do with it what you like. I could go on about having to pay for 300 channels in order to get the dozen or so I am likely to watch, but all these poor horses have already been beat to death. A racket I tell you! A racket

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to birdfeedr

said by birdfeedr:

said by almahix:

we can't go out and buy our own stbs and skip the $480 annualized rental.

TiVo plus cablecard is an alternative to the DVR. Used to be Moxi plus cablecard was also suitable, but those are no longer available to public. I regret not purchasing a MoxiMate while I could.

I'm sure aaronwt will chime in with the streaming options from TiVo, and I believe there's a new TiVo model coming out soon that features direct streaming rather than through an XBox.

Cablecard rates stayed the same when STBs went up. Shhh. You didn't hear it from me.

They just recently announced the name for the TiVo IP STB. It's called the TiVo Mini.

chrisb009

@verizon.net
reply to baxzy

You must be kidding. More cost and for what? Look at Verizons Q1 financial statement; I believe Verizon has enough of my hard earned cash between FiOS and Wireless services (over $300.00 per month). I'm looking at other providers and/or dumping Verizon services all together. Verizon's services are chewing up my pay check to the degree it's a car payment. And remember - Verizon would not exist if it wasn't for the American public building the infrastructure which made Verizon the company they are today - screw the consumer for pursuit of profits and to make wall street smile.

»www22.verizon.com/investor/news_···12_0.htm

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to almahix

said by almahix:

In SoCal, my DVR+2(HD) bundle went up by $6. Every time I pay my bill I get annoyed because I have to pay for the mechanism to watch the channels I am already paying for. I'm surprised they don't charge for each inch of coax between the wall and the box. You need that, too. It is all a unfair because we are forced into renting their gear; we can't go out and buy our own stbs and skip the $480 annualized rental. This whole cable TV thing (by whatever delivery) is a racket but those of us in remote, outlying regions have no choice by to pony up the bucks

Of course you can bypass the cable STB rental. I've been using TiVos on FiOS the entire 5 years I've been with them. If I had been renting FiOS STBs during that time I would have paid alot more money.

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo

Camarillo, CA

While I had 3 TiVos and 3 cable cards I was paying more than just a HD DVR and 2 HD boxes from vz so I packed away the TiVos and got vz boxes.. Then vz raised their rental fees for boxes. I considered going back to TiVo but they've raised their subscription rates too. Everybody is giving me a walletectomy but they're doing it anally now! Guess their Intel gathering tells them (erroneously) that I am a wealthy subscriber. And chrisb009, you're right. It is like a car payment!

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to VirtualLarry

I have a TIVO HD and a 7216 DVR I got from Verizon on a "free for 3 months deal". I was considering getting another TIVO and giving the 7216 back but after crunching the numbers I decided not to. Another TIVO would cost me $17 a month ($13 for the TIVO service and $4 for the cable card,) the same as the Verizon DVR. I don't have lifetime service on my TIVO so I pay by the month. If the TIVO takes a crap, it's money out of my pocket. If the Verizon DVR breaks, I tell them to send me a new one. And then there's the cost of the TIVO and I'd have to spend $10 for a clock!
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.