uniqs

Jammy
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA

1 edit

Jammy

Premium Member

[IPv6] When will they roll out IPv6 where I am?

Gosh darn when are they going to roll out IPv6 to Northern California? I have been reading up on the IPv6 roll-out and what it does. I hate to be stuck here in bay Point (Contra Costa County) knowing this is going on and also knowing I will probably be the first to get it up here where I live but no time soon.

Wow my researching just paid off for me! I can get a home version to change to IPv6 for $99.00:

gogoCPE purchase
Deploying IPv6 in the Home

The biggest expense when deploying IPv6 is not in the core or access networks, it is in home network. Swapping the CPE (customer premise device) for one that enables IPv6 is usually required. Even if the home user is given a new CPE often they will not install it because of the perceived difficulty in set-up. gogoCPE changes the economics of IPv6 deployment. To make IPv6 instantly available in the home the user simply plugs the gogoCPE in the network and within 60 seconds all devices connected to the LAN have IPv6 connectivity. No fuss, no support costs. gogoCPE provisions IPv6 by transparently connecting to the designated gogoSERVER or other transition server in the network operator’s network.
Jammy

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

i feel your pain jammy.. come on cisco... lol

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 edits

RR Conductor to Jammy

Premium Member

to Jammy
said by Jammy:

Gosh darn when are they going to roll out IPv6 to Northern California?

We have native IPv6 up here in Mendocino County in Northwestern California, I'm in Redwood Valley (halfway between Ukiah and Willits) and am off of the Ukiah CMTS. We have an Arris CMTS, and are former Adelphia. So some of Nor*Cal has it

Edit-I think you missed it, but NW95482 is in Ukiah.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Jammy

Premium Member

to Jammy

Re: [IPv6] When will they roll out IPv6 where I am?

said by Jammy:

Gosh darn when are they going to roll out IPv6 to Northern California? I have been reading up on the IPv6 roll-out and what it does. I hate to be stuck here in bay Point (Contra Costa County) knowing this is going on and also knowing I will probably be the first to get it up here where I live but no time soon.

Jammy

PM me your cable modem mac address and I can look at the CMTS that services your area..

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

If your norcal your prolly Cisco Like me, which Comcast and Cisco are taking there pretty time with on ipv6... To bad I'm not arris

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

3 edits

RR Conductor to Jammy

Premium Member

to Jammy
Wow, so Ukiah is the only Arris CMTS in Nor*Cal? It must be something to do with us being former Adelphia. We're the only former Adelphia area in CA that went to Comcast, the others (SoCal properties, Susanville and Westwood in Lassen County and Burney in far eastern Shasta County) went to Time Warner, but Lassen County and Burney got sold yet again after that, to Windjammer.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to Jammy

Premium Member

to Jammy
no Joy in SacTown either.

Hopefully MUCH sooner than later, huh?

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

Yea............. Hopefully hahaha well see

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 edits

RR Conductor to Jammy

Premium Member

to Jammy
Wow, this is a first, we're ahead of the bigger cities Mendocino County, total land area-3800 Square Miles, total Population-86,000. I'll be rooting for you guys in the Bay Area and Sacramento area to get it soon!

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

3 recommendations

Sunny to Jammy

to Jammy
I may be missing something, but I just don't see why anyone is concerned about when they will receive IPv6 addresses in their area. The fact some have it is a good thing for everyone because it delays the day when the world would have simply run out of IP addresses, but an IPv4 address does the same thing for me, as long as I can get one, as an IPv6 address, right?

It's not something that fills me with anticipation as much as a doubling in speed might, such as the NE customers are seeing now. I know it is necessary to switch over. I also have every confidence it will happen, but it won't resolve any immediate problem for me because I'm not currently having a problem with IPv4.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Wayne99021

Premium Member

I thought it was just me that felt that way. IPv4 works great for me so don't really care about IPv6 until I have to use it, when ever that may be.
My modem and router are IPv6 compatible so whenever it comes and I have to use it I will be ready.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer to Sunny

Premium Member

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

I may be missing something, but I just don't see why anyone is concerned about when they will receive IPv6 addresses in their area. The fact some have it is a good thing for everyone because it delays the day when the world would have simply run out of IP addresses, but an IPv4 address does the same thing for me, as long as I can get one, as an IPv6 address, right?

It's not something that fills me with anticipation as much as a doubling in speed might, such as the NE customers are seeing now. I know it is necessary to switch over. I also have every confidence it will happen, but it won't resolve any immediate problem for me because I'm not currently having a problem with IPv4.

I suspect that for many of the posters in this forum, it is just "bragging rights" to have IPv6 accessibility (including public inbound IPv6 reach-ability). For some however, there may actually be a need (or just a desire) to connect to IPv6 only public services and peer to peer connections. There are not currently very many IPv6 only public services, but I would imagine that there are quite a few IPv6 only peer to peer users (or wannabe users).

It really depends on how you use (or want to use) your Internet connection. The ability to have multiple publicly reachable devices on a single connection is usually limited in the IPv4 environment to business class services with multiple static IP addresses, but IPv6 changes the game entirely.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to Sunny

MVM

to Sunny
said by Sunny:

I may be missing something, but I just don't see why anyone is concerned about when they will receive IPv6 addresses in their area.

Agreed. IPv6 of course is the future, and like many other people, I will be a bit more comfortable when it is in my area and I am running it. But really, it infers no immediate benefits to me; it will get here when it gets here.

Now, if I have connectivity issues to sites I want to address that are hindered by the lack of IPv6...then that would be a different story.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 edit

1 recommendation

whfsdude to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

I suspect that for many of the posters in this forum, it is just "bragging rights" to have IPv6 accessibility (including public inbound IPv6 reach-ability). For some however, there may actually be a need (or just a desire) to connect to IPv6 only public services and peer to peer connections. There are not currently very many IPv6 only public services, but I would imagine that there are quite a few IPv6 only peer to peer users (or wannabe users).

One of the things you'll start doing when you have all of your machines IPv6 enabled is to start relying on it. Then it becomes a need.

For example, I have remote desktop and ssh running on all of my machines so I can access them from wherever. I could do this with IPv4 but I'd have to have different ports of each one of my boxes so it's just easier to do it with v6 and have an AAAA record for each box.

Another cool thing is I've set a up a Subsonic (your own personal Google music service) server on one of my machines which I can connect to and stream music to my phone. All over v6

Work also has some resources that are v6 only. Eg. SNMP graph server and IPMI ports are now v6 only (v4 firewalled w/ no VPN).

There are also a few sites that are v6 only too. (eg. »bn6.it/ )

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

so when will the zoom5341 get ipv6 support comcast?
tbh i dont want ipv6 anyway

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

Zoom 5341j already has v6 support. I know this because I'm using v6 over it.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

2 recommendations

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

said by JigglyWiggly:

Zoom 5341j already has v6 support. I know this because I'm using v6 over it.

The same here on my 5341J, native IPv6 off of the Ukiah, CA CMTS.

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

no fair

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by redbeard916:

No fair.

Lol Usually it's me saying that when it comes to stuff like this here.

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
to both of you
i am talking about the zoom5341

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

2 recommendations

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

to both of you
i am talking about the zoom5341

There are two 5341 models, the 5341H and 5341J, both are IPv6 compliant.

»www.zoomtel.com/products ··· iew.html

»www.zoomtel.com/products ··· ecs.html

»www.zoomtel.com/products ··· ecs.html

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

that doesnt mean comcast has
checked the approved devices page

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

The "J" model is.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

This just means they have actually had someone verify support. I can think of a number of modems that aren't listed but work on v6 on the Comcast network.

It's more likely the case your CMTS isn't enabled.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by whfsdude:

said by JigglyWiggly:

This just means they have actually had someone verify support. I can think of a number of modems that aren't listed but work on v6 on the Comcast network.

Keee-wrecked!

All D3 modems/gateways/eMTAs are IPv6 compliant...or they would not be Docsis 3.0.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PeteC2:

said by whfsdude:

said by JigglyWiggly:

Keee-wrecked!

All D3 modems/gateways/eMTAs are IPv6 compliant...or they would not be Docsis 3.0.

That is not entirely correct. The SMCD3G-CCR used for Comcast Business Class customers is a DOCSIS 3.0 device, but it is in no way IPv6 compliant (or even IPv6 cognizant).

JigglyWiggly
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to EG

to EG
if it isn't painfully obvious i dont own the j, i said zoom5431, which implies the h model because if you had the j model it says J all over. Even in my modem configratuion tab it just says zoom5341, not h.

also that isn't possible ipv6 is in Pleasanton California. It was the first market for ipv6
»Comcast Begins IPv6 Pilot Deployments [41] comments

the zoom5341 does support ipv6, it's even in the configuration page, it's just not there. Comcast doesn't support ipv6 on this modem.

but idk why people care ipv6, it's just worse.
I just don't want to be NAT'd.

whfsdude
Premium Member
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by JigglyWiggly:

the zoom5341 does support ipv6, it's even in the configuration page, it's just not there. Comcast doesn't support ipv6 on this modem.

What router are you running behind the modem? If it's pfsense (saw dual wan earlier in your posts) you need to be on the 2.1-BETA0 branch for DHCPv6-PD to work.

but idk why people care ipv6, it's just worse.

So the end-to-end nature of the internet can preserved without NAT gateways shoved everywhere. Even if Comcast has enough IPv4 for a couple years of growth, the rest of the Internet doesn't.

I just don't want to be NAT'd.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

if it isn't painfully obvious i dont own the j, i said zoom5431, which implies the h model because if you had the j model it says J all over.

Isn't it "painfully obvious" that I was just making a point that one of them is indeed "checked" on their list ?

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to Jammy

to Jammy

Painful, all right

C'mon, guys. Let it go now. You're certainly right about "painfully."

Note: I hit the big reply button. I am speaking to the "bickering" posts, of course, not to Jammy See Profile.