uniqs
share rss forum feed

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[VA] Powerboost capped depending on tier

Hey guys, I've never forget how lovely the speed we enjoyed with over 80 Mbps download.

Now, I just replaced the modem and router to new place to set up for server. After that, the modem and server is ready to use. I checking out how fast it go but I surprised that download is now capped at 30 Mbps for Premier Tier from over 80 mbps. I thought server limited these speed but I tried with straight (modem to laptop), it get same result but upload still uncapped. Man, I still miss that awesome powerboost.

Please post the result you take on »speedtest.net if your got capped.

chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
Here in GA, the speed limit was dropped to about 32Mb, and the upload to about 6Mb. Tisk!

basit

join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA
reply to sniperboyz
Same thing happening here, same modem I've always used, now it's a constant 30, starting happening about a week ago. I was having trouble getting it to sync last night after the storm, so I called Cox and he kept telling me I had a Docsis 2.0 modem and I should only have one channel, but I have a SB-6120 which is a 3.0 and I usually get 3 bonded down and 4 up. It cleared up this morning and the channels are back, but it's still capped at 30 downstream and about 18 up.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
my power boost speed is all over the place sometimes its 22mbps down and other times its up at 125mbps down and the upload is always the same 5.5mbps

i am in the las vegas market

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Well I am sure they probably just making some changes to the modems config file limiting the powerboost on the download. Still doesn't make much sense they only changed it for the download, and not the upload at this time. As for powerboost it isn't much of a factor anyways, and is not affecting the true speed you get, and pay for. Your just not gonna get crazy high speedtest results, which are stupid to judge your connection off of anyways. This has been something cox has been doing since D3 launched, and finally it seems our market of hampton roads. Has simply locked down the downstream powerboost, like I said kind of surprised they didn't lock down the upload powerboost at same time. One last thing, I am sure it doesn't depend on your speed tier. Probably just took effect recently, meaning if the modem hasn't been rebooted lately, its possible to still see powerboost. Since there is a very good chance the change is within the config file, and that is something your modem will grab, or update during a reboot.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to sniperboyz
They did the same think in SoCal..."fixed" PB to match the advertised max PB speed.

sniperboyz

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to basit
It's like we are back to DOCSIS 2.0. lol. It's not true. Cox definitely fixed the PowerBoost in configuration file on each modem but the Upload still uncapped. I saw this morning it's cleared up but I reset the modem, still 32 Mbps download. and 27 mbps upload.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

2 edits
reply to sniperboyz
Click for full size
I'm still getting powerboost occurring...

That best i can get what i have in close to the server in kansas is high latency and faster download speeds.

EDIT: that possibly where your connected to the speedtest server may have a serious bandwidth factor issues like node congestion floods like too many users are doing a testing their speeds on a same location server node.

sniperboyz

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
No. I just tested each different server and I get same results. Cox might modified the config file to limit the download powerboost to each tier. for example, If I pay for premier, then I get 30 mbps maximum.

Everyone getting capped when they reboot the modem.

sniperboyz

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to lilstone87
I just figured it out that I am able to get 50 mbps with load balancing by pfSense. The version is 2.0.1.

Specs:
Emachine T6520 (eww!!)
AMD Athlon 2.4 GHz
1.2GB RAM
200GB HDD
4 NIC (All realteks but one built in, 10/100)

My pfSense now running with two internet, our is 30/3 and my grandpa's 20/2 to be in combined bandwidth.

Here's single internet,
Our:

My grandpa's:

Combined:

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to sniperboyz
Click for full size
still gets powerboost in matters.
Can you run your results on the Cox business and post it in here so we'd like to see your results on Cox business speed test site.

That appears that not everyone are capped to a exactly baseline of tier set.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
I believe the thread is about the Hampton Roads VA area. Would not impact KS.

My d/l speeds dropped from 67Mbs to 24Mbs about a week ago. U/L remains uncapped....... 18-20Mbs. I am on a 15/2 plan.

sniperboyz

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ikyuaoki
Click for full size
Combined
Here it is.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to sniperboyz
that results look a good then that speedtest.net site could be bottleneck issues as too many user are using this one server node for their own speed testing stuff.

do you plugged the two cable modems on the splitter so you gets combined a random load balancing?

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to sniperboyz
It's been like that on our market for quite a while. Big deal..it's just powerboost which is a gimmick anyway.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
said by digiblur:

It's been like that on our market for quite a while. Big deal..it's just powerboost which is a gimmick anyway.

I agree, and feel the same about this so called powerboost feature. All I care about is getting the speed I pay for.

sniperboyz

Portsmouth, VA
reply to ikyuaoki
Yes. I plugged two cable modems in pfSense Firewall to make it own load balancing. That's why I am getting 50 mbps.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
I had the load balancing algorithm been implanted in the windows 7 so that load balance algorithm is designed to balances the two pipe connections for enhances reliable connection and does not double the two connections at a time.

Anonguy

@cox.net
Have preferred..

Love that upload