spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MuteTM
join:2012-07-27

MuteTM

[AB] Involuntary Downgrade (Advice?)

Advice requested:

I had a 6mbit connection last week, and called Telus regarding an upgrade. This is what ensued. I called, and spoke to a fairly nice Representative, and spoke regarding an upgrade. I was told that sure, I could upgrade my connection to a 3mbyte connection, and it would take effect at midnight. I asked him twice to make sure he meant megabyte per second and not megabit.

The next morning, when the upgrade was supposed to take effect, I did a speed test. 1.82 megabits per second. Needless to say, I was not impressed. I proceeded to call Telus and I was met with a surprising and upsetting response. I had been downgraded to a 3mbit connection, and I was told I must have been imagining my 6mbit connection, as it is not offered in my area (though the website shows to the contrary) and I will be paying the upgraded fee per month for this downgraded connection. I cannot get my 6mbit connection back, and all 4 phone calls to different Representatives, one of them managers, ended the same way.

What can I do? At this point, I don't care about an upgrade, I just want my old connection back. Telus has not been helpful in the least, is there a second way to contact them, perhaps in person?
BC Boy
join:2012-02-14
Kelowna, BC

BC Boy

I've seen this happen before and there a couple of reasons for this.

1) Your area previously qualified for 6mb but due to due signal quality issues they downgraded it. They won't downgrade existing customers but any new customers or customers trying to upgrade won't qualify for that speed anymore. The software simply won't let an agent enter an order for that speed, it's out of their hands.

2) Sometimes the software that qualifies a line for ADSL is simply wrong. At the time you ordered the 6MB service the software said "yea sure no problem". But now that you got downgraded by accident and are trying to get the 6mb back the software is saying "Sorry pal".

Call again and ask the customer care agent to submit a 'Nova' ticket explaining you had the 6mb service before, got downgraded by accident and are trying to get it back. That ticket will go to to dept that will test the copper to your premise and the measurements will give them an exact answer on what speeds we can or cannot provide.

Hope this helps.
Nick96
join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Nick96 to MuteTM

to MuteTM
If all else fails, threaten to switch to Shaw if you don't get your old plan back. If you don't get your old plan and can put up with Shaw's speed fluctuations, I would recommend switching.
MuteTM

MuteTM to BC Boy

to BC Boy
Thanks, I will do that. As for switching, they're the only half decent ISP in my city. Shaw is not in the area.
Nick96
Edmonton, AB

Nick96 to MuteTM

to MuteTM
What's the alternative to Telus in your area? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what city or town are you in?
MuteTM

MuteTM

said by Nick96:

What's the alternative to Telus in your area? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what city or town are you in?

Camrose, Alberta. Alternative is Cable-Lynx, which has very, very inconsistent speeds.
Nick96
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

Well if they are really inconsistent, you might just want to stay with Telus. Here in Edmonton, I wouldn't dare switch to Shaw. Most areas have oversubscribed nodes, so the internet is slow and unreliable on Shaw. I'm lucky enough to have 15 megabits down and .87 up on phone lines over 60 years old and about 1.6 km from the DSLAM . Hopefully your area gets upgraded or you get your old plan back.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to MuteTM

Premium Member

to MuteTM
I've never seen an ISP use megabytes. Unless Canada is different than every other part of the world this was ill advised.

Doesn't matter how many times you ask, bytes = bits to 99.999% of sales people.
Nick96
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

said by DataRiker:

Doesn't matter how many times you ask, bytes = bits to 99.999% of sales people.

Very true. The other thing is that 3 megabytes per second is 24 megabits per second, which Telus uses VDSL2 for, so unless you're in an area where they just did all the newest upgrades (usually new neighbourhoods), you almost certainly won't have Telus Turbo 25.
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to DataRiker

to DataRiker
Agreed, an ISP will never quote a speed in bytes, because it will look smaller compared to the competiton, and anyone non technical is not going to understand the difference.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to MuteTM

to MuteTM
you did email me but you forgot to give me your phone number.
MuteTM

MuteTM

Telus called me back today and the nova ticket returned nothing different. I'm stuck with 3mbits until they decide to upgrade the area (I was told 2015) but I'll get a slight discount.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

nova tickets are a complete waste of time.