uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Power Supply - working one day, but not the next

I was working on this one system (custom built several years back) where they said it was working the day before, and then when they tried to power it on the following day - nothing, it was dead. I pulled the PSU, jumped the wires and it was indeed completely dead.

I've never seen a PSU go without some sort of warning (smell, scorching, noise, etc.) so before I simply replace the PSU (and risk blowing out a brand new one), is there anything else I should look for?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Take it apart.... Any obvious sign of damage?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Other than dusty and cobwebs, it all looks clean. No obvious smell of burnt electronics.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

if the PSU looked OK, are there any signs of damage to other components inside the case? Also, does the PSU have a fuse that might have blow or circuit breaker that might have popped?

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Several years old? Power supplies die after time. Caps dry out, leak you name it. This might sound odd but one of the worst things for a PS is being turned off.
I used to repair supplies and some would run for 10+ years then you shut it down once never to work again.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Interesting. I bet that's what happened to mine.
ahsanbd98
join:2012-07-21
bangladesh

ahsanbd98 to bbear2

to bbear2
I had the same problem like this several months ago, but i dont know why its happen, after that i just change the psu. one thing more you should check all of your power connection that within the system and ensure that no problem is there.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

I put in a new supply and everything is back to normal without any other issues. Guess that old PSU couldn't take another power-on cycle.