DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to arisk

Re: Xplornet vs. Rocket/Turbo for rural dilemma

Sitting at Sauble Beach right now on Telus wireless 3G. But I keep getting a Sign up from MaximumISP on WiFi. This is new this year. Who? What technology? Packages seem competitive with Bell and Eastlink. I suspect they could sell a weekly access package for tourists, too.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by DKS:

Sitting at Sauble Beach right now on Telus wireless 3G. But I keep getting a Sign up from MaximumISP on WiFi. This is new this year. Who? What technology? Packages seem competitive with Bell and Eastlink. I suspect they could sell a weekly access package for tourists, too.

There's a company here in Fort Erie who makes their bread and butter off selling seasonal access to the American cottagers who come up during the summer. This is also the first summer that we've had Wind Mobile coverage all along the Lake Erie shore from Fort Erie to Port Colborne, and I have no doubt that Wind put those towers up to not only rake in on T-Mobile roaming but to also get in on net access. Should be interesting to see what effect that has on the Last Mile guys.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Gone:

I have no doubt that Wind put those towers up to not only rake in on T-Mobile roaming but to also get in on net access. Should be interesting to see what effect that has on the Last Mile guys.

Indeed, my phone can detect the tower in Barrie but can't sign on to it... if it did I wouldn't be looking into a WISP near my cottage.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Woodlane

join:2012-06-02
K7G-2V6
reply to arisk

I have had a Rounter and spare notebook monitoring this xPlornet/Viasat connection 24/7 since installation in March. You can see my ongoing review here on DSLReports at '»Review of Xplornet by Woodlane'.
I have the 'middle of the road' Standard 3Mbps/400kbps package. A 30 day trial period is provided. After that early termination cost can be pricey. I have the 2 year contract with the hopes that rural access technology will improve in that time.

scorpido
Premium
join:2009-11-02
New Hamburg, ON
kudos:1
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

I know that MaximumISP has a very strong solid stable network, and well worth the money. It is fast and ping times are great. I'm not sure if it is new as of this year, but I know the guy who runs it and his wireless network is massive and he resells the same brand of equipment he uses for his network.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by scorpido:

said by DKS:

I know that MaximumISP has a very strong solid stable network, and well worth the money. It is fast and ping times are great. I'm not sure if it is new as of this year, but I know the guy who runs it and his wireless network is massive and he resells the same brand of equipment he uses for his network.

They show up as wireless-n. They weren't here last summer.
--

kiba1

join:2010-07-21
Valemount, BC
reply to arisk

Probably too late now to influence any decision re:Xplornet vs Rocket/Turbo, but I just wanted to add my input. I run an IT company where a large part of our work involves remote access and we are located somewhere where satellite was our only option (surrounded by mountains where 3 ranges converge, the local WISP unable to provide even 50% uptime here and no cell signal!)

We find the new Viasat/4G satellite to be fine for remote access (via Teamviewer) whereas our previous one (their Hughesnet system) was painfully laggy... It was still useable for remote access if we were the only satellite internet user in the active connection, but unbearable if it was a satellite subscriber to satellite subscriber link. Now it's fine. You soon get used to the slight lag (even with Skype it's not that bad) and we have no dropped connections (not that there were dropped connections before, either - just horrendous lag!)

And as a bonus, with the new faster system and our (not yet enforced ) 80GB bandwidth limit per month we can even watch Netflix movies of an evening!

kiba1

Valemount, BC
reply to arisk

quote:
I guess this all serves to demonstrate the "rural divide" as far as internet service.
Even when pointed out in black and white, some people simply can't comprehend that there are areas without good options.
You can say that again. I often have people finding it impossible to comprehend that we cannot get a cell signal at home, or that we have no other option for internet on our property than satellite, until they actually see the place... We're 18km from the nearest village and literally surrounded by mountains... Yup - then they understand.

lowlevel

join:2008-02-27
Milton, ON
reply to arisk

I had a remote user on Xplornet, and her connections/sessions would be dropped all the time. VPN and web conferencing/etc all next to impossible. I'm highly skeptical that the new offering will be any better in this regard.

kiba1

Valemount, BC

said by lowlevel:

I had a remote user on Xplornet, and her connections/sessions would be dropped all the time. VPN and web conferencing/etc all next to impossible. I'm highly skeptical that the new offering will be any better in this regard.

You'll probably find that she was on their stupid system that we suffered for a couple of years whereby if you exceeded your daily download allowance (which on the basic package = 250MB, I believe...we were paying for their cheapest business package which gave us 525MB/24hrs...whoop-de-do!) then they throttle you down to dial-up speed for a full 24hrs from when you exceed the limit. Once that's happened, no way is any remote access going to work.

Their new system works perfectly for us with Skype, Logmein & Teamviewer. We don't have a daily cap - it's now monthly, and if we go over our 80GB (once they manage to implement their usage tracking!) we will be able to pay for any over useage, rather than being throttled to a snail's pace.

We get the advertised speeds most of the time and even when we don't, it drops to around 50% at worst (for us - YMMV) so it's still good enough for remote access to work reliably.

kiba1

Valemount, BC

said by kiba1:

We get the advertised speeds most of the time and even when we don't, it drops to around 50% at worst (for us - YMMV) so it's still good enough for remote access to work reliably.

Just tested our connection right now, out of curiosity, using testmy.net, and our download rate was 4.1 Mbps (we are only meant to get "up to" 3Mbps) but our upload rate is only 204kbps when it's advertised as "up to" 800kbps...

I'm remotely connected to a machine overseas right now (using Teamviewer) and the connection is totally stable and as responsive as ever, so it's obviously still good enough for what I'm doing, but certainly not what I expected.

I've generally not really paid much attention to the upload rate figure, before, unless there's been an obvious problem with our connection.

Boris19

join:2006-07-10
K1A2A2
reply to arisk

I'm in rural Ottawa and have Xplornet fixed wireless. It's slow and mediocre at best, but at least it's usually stable (I'm fortunate to live very close to the local tower). My main fear right now is that it's obvious that they're hell-bent on pushing everyone over to their 4G network, which will force me to pay significantly more monthly to get a reasonable data cap. It's unlimited now, their best plan with 4G is 60 gigs. I wish I had alternatives but not only are Bell's and Roger's wireless hubs capped at tiny numbers, the service out here is horrible. I'd be better off with dial up.

Neither company is ever going to build any more infrastructure out here, even though I'm only a few minutes away from where it currently ends. Bridging the "digital divide" my ass - I live on the edge of Canada's capital but my broadband connection might as well be in central Africa.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to arisk

Click for full size
Above is a screen photo of my iPad for Maximum ISP rates.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Hold down the sleep button and press the home button. It takes a screenshot on any iOS device. The screen will flash white and you'll hear a camera noise.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by Guspaz:

Hold down the sleep button and press the home button. It takes a screenshot on any iOS device. The screen will flash white and you'll hear a camera noise.

Just as easy to use the iPhone to take a picture of my iPad. The iPhone was being used as a wireless hot spot for the iPad.
--

zipperhead

join:2009-01-07
Ajax, ON
reply to arisk

Click for full size
South Bruce
I have a cottage in South Bruce and am getting wireless service from GBTEL, check their coverage map as the do cover parts of Grey County. You can't beat the service for the price. Might not help OP but could work for others.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by zipperhead:

I have a cottage in South Bruce and am getting wireless service from GBTEL, check their coverage map as the do cover parts of Grey County. You can't beat the service for the price. Might not help OP but could work for others.

Interesting. They don't offer a plan, residential or business, with those speeds, according to their web page.

»www.gbtel.ca/v2/internet/
--

J erry

@rogers.com

Actually there are many people on custom plans as far as I know, and their pricing is much better than MaximumISP as well as customer service. From what I have experienced MaximumISP never answers his phone and his answering machine is always full whereas whenever we call GBTel they either answer or get back to us within an hour. Save money and better service? That's why we chose GBTel.

cedqc418

@telus.com

There many hidden regional Rocket Turbo HUB ...
i am on telus and i have a great HSPA flex plan ! Up to 100 GB per month to a reasonnable price ( and i can use nationwide )
Same thing for rogers ... Old Wimax client have great plan at great price ! ( you can took the contract of one personn )
If you want a public ip for vpn or anything like remote ... you must pay an option ... 10 $ for rogers by exemple ...
local hspa ping is near 60 ms ...

hrmmmm

@shawcable.net
reply to arisk

there have to be more options available to you. I was recently at a cabin in a remote part of alberta and even there they had 7 down internet with over 100gb of bandwidth per month

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to arisk

Arisk, as others here have mentioned the more info you provide the more it allows people to help you find a reliable provider.

As for possible providers, I'm not sure if you have seen this but Grey County has every provider in the county available on their website

»www.grey.ca/government-administr···oviders/

As someone who has had to deal with Everus/Xplorenet on behalf of my mom, I would avoid them unless you have no other choice. I recently got my mom to switch over to Grey Bruce Telecom and she has been very happy thus far.