join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2

Re: Linux Servers Snared By Microsoft Patent Lasso

said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Its all tied together... STOP LINUX

I think you think Microsoft thinks much more highly of the Linux Threat than they do.

FF4m3
@bhn.net

FF4m3

Anon

said by JohnInSJ:

said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Its all tied together... STOP LINUX

I think you think Microsoft thinks much more highly of the Linux Threat than they do.

Perhaps read the following reality based information:

Infamous Microsoft FUD Campaigns Against Linux

Microsoft's Smear Campaign Against OpenOffice.org

Microsoft Acknowledges Linux Threat to Windows Client

Ballmer: Linux Bigger Competitor than Apple

Microsoft Attacks Linux Competition Using Lawsuits and Threats (With Software Patents), Pays Acacia/IP Innovation After Anti-Linux Lawsuit

Facts behind Microsoft's anti-Linux campaign

Why Microsoft’s Blackmail Campaign Against Linux/Android May be Headed Towards the Garbage Can

Microsoft giving Best Buy anti-Linux training

Microsoft wants to hire an anti Linux Guru

etc.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by FF4m3 :

(snip)

My thoughts exactly... Desktop Linux doesn't pose much of a threat to MS and OS X, but the server and embedded Linuxes are in nearly every other non-end user device, making it a very real competitor.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by FF4m3 :

(snip)

My thoughts exactly... Desktop Linux doesn't pose much of a threat to MS and OS X, but the server and embedded Linuxes are in nearly every other non-end user device, making it a very real competitor.

But the FUD guy is worrying about Microsoft preventing people from installing Linux on their DESKTOP machines. So, aren't you exactly making my point? On the desktop Linux is a non-issue. On tablets there is a long tradition from Non-Microsoft OSes of locking down the tablet to prevent alternate OS installs. So, um, sue Apple?
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
Yep, the Linux Folks, and their various supporters thinks Microsoft is after them. I get that. I read it all the time here and in the usual Linux places. However, Microsoft seems to be saying Apple is the Great Satan. And Google. So maybe Google counts as a "kill Linux" approach, but mostly not (since Google makes all their money in Search, that's a Bing vs Google fight, not a Windows vs. Android fight.)

Outside the Linux Bubble (and I say that with love, as I am a Linux supporter and user too) there are only a handful of people who even know what an OS is, let alone what Linux is.

But I get that it's important to have an enemy. Go Tux.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2

said by JohnInSJ:
Yep, the Linux Folks, and their various supporters thinks Microsoft is after them. I get that. I read it all the

If you don't see ms as an enemy to Linux and Android, then, well thats unfortunate that you don't understand how this company operates. It has done the same, thing over and over and over and over.

This is 100% about entangling Linux in so much legal issues, or the potential that companies don't use it on their severs, and no OEM would touch it to put on their PC's, ummm, like Dell? Add in if you can't boot it, you can't install it or run it.

As for crapple, I think they should be sued for their tablet nonsense, and the same goes for Motorola, Samsung, LG and any other company that does the same be it idiot"OS" or Android. My hardware if I choose to do something that maybe the manufacturer doesn't like too bad! Its my hardware, I paid for it. If I want to put Android on the idiotpad, whats it to crapple? Loss of revenue from software, for one, but otherwise whats the issue? I do that I am not going to get support so I am on my own. It voids the warranty etc.... So whats this crapple or any other maker of a tablet? They got the money when I purchased the device.

ms is an enemy and if you don't see that, well that tells me a lot.
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2

Re: Linux Servers Snared By Microsoft Patent Lasso

said by TuxRaiderPen2:

said by JohnInSJ:
Yep, the Linux Folks, and their various supporters thinks Microsoft is after them. I get that. I read it all the

This is 100% about entangling Linux in so much legal issues, or the potential that companies don't use it on their severs, and no OEM would touch it to put on their PC's, ummm, like Dell? Add in if you can't boot it, you can't install it or run it.

Well, let's see. The 80000000 pound gorilla would be the massive use of Linux by everyone on the internet. Amazon. Google. Facebook. Hey, aren't they in bed with some of these guys? Why yes, other than Google of course.

So again, who ISN'T using Linux on their servers? Oh, wait, that's right, EVERYONE is using Linux on their servers.

Seriously, you should worry less. MS is a nice boogeyman to trot out from time to time, just don't drink the koolaid too much!

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

howardfine to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
Besides the desktop, Windows is almost absent and it is *nix that rules that world. Something like 80% of the internet runs on *nix. As does most of the tablet and phone world. Many of the operating systems on devices like DVR's and routers use *nix. The scientific world runs on *nix.

The future and present computing world is mobile and mobile runs on *nix. So if Microsoft wants to compete in mobile, they have to go after it. Rather than compete with decent sofrtware, apparently they want to try and sue their way into competing.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

Besides the desktop, Windows is almost absent and it is *nix that rules that world. Something like 80% of the internet runs on *nix. As does most of the tablet and phone world. Many of the operating systems on devices like DVR's and routers use *nix. The scientific world runs on *nix.

The future and present computing world is mobile and mobile runs on *nix. So if Microsoft wants to compete in mobile, they have to go after it. Rather than compete with decent sofrtware, apparently they want to try and sue their way into competing.

So the litigation strategy they've had since the 80s was an amazingly precognitive approach to where they would end up in 2012?

Seriously you need to pick some line of reasoning and stick with it. This constant flip flopping between "They have a monopoly and must be killed" to "They are irrelevant and only can survive by suing others", while comical, is really hard to grasp logically.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by JohnInSJ:

Seriously you need to pick some line of reasoning and stick with it. This constant flip flopping between "They have a monopoly and must be killed" to "They are irrelevant and only can survive by suing others", while comical, is really hard to grasp logically.

How do you come up with any flip-flopping by me? What you don't seem to understand is that Microsoft's world-wide anti-trust losses stem around their monopoly of the desktop and it's unrelated to where they stand in other areas.

I've said that countless times and this time I'm bolding it for you.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

said by JohnInSJ:

How do you come up with any flip-flopping by me? What you don't seem to understand is that Microsoft's world-wide anti-trust losses stem around their monopoly of the desktop and it's unrelated to where they stand in other areas.

I've said that countless times and this time I'm bolding it for you.

You live in a fantasy land, where they are after linux to protect their nonexistent server market, and their desktop position is made irrelevant due to the shift to mobile/pad devices. You said it yourself. I know you also believe that the monopoly in desktop they had in the 80s when there was no alternative means they should be sued by the EU still today, believe me I know it. And yet, you also say they're losing in every segment.

So make up your mind.