Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Darknessrise

join:2012-07-28
US

1 edit

[Connectivity] Xfinity Internet Self Install Question

Hello, we currently have U-Verse TV/Phone/Internet and was wondering if it was possible to get a self install kit for Xfinity Internet?

Our U-Verse inside our house runs off our coax and was trying to figure out if it's possible to get them both to run on the same coax or something lol? Would Comcast have to run new lines inside our house? We have our gateway/stbs running off coax except for the STB by the gateway which has ethernet.

Note: We had Comcast TV before U-verse.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Your existing inside coax cabling can not be shared between Xfinity and U-verse.

If there is still a connection from the Comcast pedestal to a jack in your home that is not currently being used by your U-verse service, then you may be able to do a self install to that jack (it will depend on whether or not Comcast physically disconnected you at their pedestal when you terminated your Comcast TV service).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Darknessrise

US
I have no real idea what they did to it lol. Most of our coax wiring is out of wall except for one TV. We have most of our coax splitting in the basement by the NIDs outside. Is it possible we still have a comcast cable coming in that AT&T left hanging when they installed? I have zero idea how it works so sorry if I sound really dumb :P.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to Darknessrise
Like the previous post said they can't share wires. COMCAST will need it's own wires, unless you have 1 jack that it not connected then you can have that jack wired into COMCAST. As far as them disconnecting you, you'd have to wait and see. That can't be told till the service is connected and see if it goes live. If not a technician will have to come out and connect you back up at the pedestal , also depends if AT&T clipped the line to the house when they did the install, if they did that, a new end will have to be put on for them to connect to.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Darknessrise
said by Darknessrise:

I have no real idea what they did to it lol. Most of our coax wiring is out of wall except for one TV. We have most of our coax splitting in the basement by the NIDs outside. Is it possible we still have a comcast cable coming in that AT&T left hanging when they installed? I have zero idea how it works so sorry if I sound really dumb :P.

Yes, it is possible that AT&T left a single Comcast connection (especially if you were still using it while the AT&T installation was done), but if you are unable to verify that by visually following the cable from the Comcast pedestal to your house (if there even is such a cable), then you will need to forget about even trying to do a self install. After all, how can you install the modem if you don't know where to connect it (or even if there is a place to connect it)?

If you are planning to try to merge the U-verse and Xfinity internet connections, it would probably be simpler to use a dual WAN Ethernet router for that (MOCA is a work in progress, and not all MOCA devices really work well together...and it is primarily designed as a "multimeda" interconnection scheme, not a general purpose networking architecture).
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Darknessrise

US
reply to Darknessrise
How far from your house would your pedestal be?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Darknessrise:

How far from your house would your pedestal be?

There is no standard answer for that. It might be in your yard (possibly even near the telco NID), it may in in a neighbor's yard, or it may be on a nearby utility pole.

Here is a YouTube video showing a typical "back yard" style pedestal. However, don't open yours up as the person who made this video did, only a Comcast tech should be mucking around inside the pedestal.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZnk3WqWKg

--

Darknessrise

US
I don't see any of those things very close to me on Google Maps(Yes I'm lazy :P). Only ones I found that look like that or seem like one are the ones a couple houses down that I assume isn't ours since those houses came later. I'm going to assume it comes in around where AT&T hooked up their NID. Like I said I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. Can't really follow the wire either since our street has underground comcast cable. Maybe it's hiding with the VRAD on our lawn?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Darknessrise:

I don't see any of those things very close to me on Google Maps(Yes I'm lazy :P). Only ones I found that look like that or seem like one are the ones a couple houses down that I assume isn't ours since those houses came later. I'm going to assume it comes in around where AT&T hooked up their NID. Like I said I have no idea what I'm talking about lol. Can't really follow the wire either since our street has underground comcast cable.

It sounds more and more as if you are going to have to forget the self install route, and opt for a "professional" install. And if your ultimate goal is to somehow combine your U-verse and Xfinity internet connectivity, you will probably need to hire a professional to do that for you as well.
--

Darknessrise

US

2 edits
Opps forgot to mention when you commented on that earlier. We would be changing U-verse internet for Xfinity and not keeping AT&T for that but keeping TV/Phone. Who knows, maybe it's hiding with the VRAD close by /shrug. I would go out and check but a little lazy at the moment :/ and can't see it from inside the house since it's blocked by a tree.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
reply to Darknessrise
They don't share cabinets.

Darknessrise

US
said by aabaaf:

They don't share cabinets.

Oh, I didn't mean that. I meant that it might be around it. Oh well thanks for the help guys, guess that means we can't do self install until we know where the wires come in.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
reply to Darknessrise
I think that based on your post, and questions, as much as I like saving a buck, this is not the situation for a self-install.
--
Deeds, not words