All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box to DSLvis

to DSLvis

Re: Linux - Install FF 14 on EeePC

That looks like it, but why I don't see the command prompt?

The symbolic link acts just a regular file (or directory). You could create one on the desktop instead of copying the executable o the desktop (BAD idea).

BTW, which desktop environment are you using? You should be able to use the menu editor to create a menu item. Try to right click on the equivalent of the Start button from Windows. You should see an option to edit the menu.

DSLvis
join:2009-01-29

1 edit

DSLvis

Click for full size
said by Black Box:

BTW, which desktop environment are you using?

Far as I know the Linux Xandros Eee PCs use KDE and IceWM.
said by Black Box:

You should be able to use the menu editor to create a menu item. Try to right click on the equivalent of the Start button from Windows. You should see an option to edit the menu.

This thing doesn't work like Windows. You can't right click onto anything nor can you make a path from the icon to the file. Absolutely stupid!

It has a desktop made for three year olds, with it's "Fisher Price" design!
This keyboard is no better!

I don't know how my mother could tolerate it!
She chose the Linux version to avoid viruses.

Any of those web icons will start up Firefox 3 again which deletes any history and add ons from FF 14!
said by Black Box:

The symbolic link acts just a regular file (or directory). You could create one on the desktop instead of copying the executable o the desktop (BAD idea).

Just found out there is a way to create a symbolic link within the Xandros File Manager through the menu.

Does the same thing as with the bookmark.

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box

said by DSLvis:

Far as I know the Linux Xandros Eee PCs use KDE and IceWM.

Hmmm, it doesn't look at all like the KDE I use now to write this.
said by DSLvis:

This thing doesn't work like Windows. You can't right click onto anything nor can you make a path from the icon to the file. Absolutely stupid!

I surely can right click on the "K" button (Start button equivalent) and see the Edit Menu option. Anyway, I've found something about the Xandros menu editor here. See if helps you.
said by DSLvis:

Any of those web icons will start up Firefox 3 again which deletes any history and add ons from FF 14!

Use the menu editor to replace the Firefox 3 commands with Firefox 14 (make sure that the firefox executable is the new one, not the default one).
said by DSLvis:

Just found out there is a way to create a symbolic link within the Xandros File Manager through the menu.

Does the same thing as with the bookmark.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Good if it works for you.

DSLvis
join:2009-01-29

2 edits

DSLvis

said by Black Box:

Hmmm, it doesn't look at all like the KDE I use now to write this.

KDE lies beneath this beast. There's a way to unveil it to full KDE mode.
said by Black Box:

I surely can right click on the "K" button (Start button equivalent) and see the Edit Menu option. Anyway, I've found something about the Xandros menu editor here. See if helps you.

Appreciate the tip there Black Box. That looks like the Konqueror menu editor I found when messing about with this thing. Forget how I got that running.
said by Black Box:

Use the menu editor to replace the Firefox 3 commands with Firefox 14 (make sure that the firefox executable is the new one, not the default one).

I've had this thing too long. My mother's going to kill me when she sees how she has to get online now!

I somehow wiped out the Web icon using EmEditor. I don't know how to get it back. Also there are for some reason two icons for the dictionary!
said by Maxo:

A lot of this has to do with the version of Linux you have chosen. On other versions of Linux this is very easy.

Incidentally, I had to do some data retrieval with my Windows laptop (reason for borrowing this Eee PC). Anyway, I used Ubuntu live CD to back up my data. I must say it is pretty nice to work with. In a way it's similar to Windows XP.

So not all Linux distros are as difficult to work with as this one is.