All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NYCPaul
join:2000-09-15
New York, NY

NYCPaul

[TWC] Time Warner 3D broadcast of Olympics?? Where and when?

Channel 484 on Manhattan's Time Warner Cable feed says "3DTV HD SDV." But so far the screen only shows "....currently unavailable. Please try again later." The channel title says "2012 Olympics" but no schedule..no nothing. A chat with them on-line says I should be seeing a program in 3D. Yet neither NBC or TWC have advertisted the availability of the 3D telecasts of the Olympics although it has been mentioned generally in media articles. I fill all the technical requirements but still no 3D Olympics live or delayed. Where do I go to get any admission that Time Warner will actually show Olympics video in 3D?
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

The 3D channel for the Olympics has been working fine all morning here on the Rochester system. Been watching the Opening Ceremonies on and off since 9AM.

If you want confirmation, it’s as easy as going to their website and typing in the word Olympics into the search field.
quote:
Question:
Can I watch the Olympics in 3D if I own a 3D TV?

Answer:
Yes. Extensive 3D coverage of many events, including track and field, swimming, synchronized swimming, gymnastics, diving, and medal rounds of basketball and water polo will be televised. 3D coverage will be offered on a next-day delay with commentary in English

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· cs-in-3D

anon3456
@rr.com

anon3456 to NYCPaul

Anon

to NYCPaul
have to buy a "3D package," as i just learned. $10/month, and only prior day's events will be broadcast.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

That is incorrect. The 3D Pass package is $10/month extra, but that is only for ESPN 3D. The Olympics and all past and future events on the 3D Special Events channels, so long as it's not a PPV boxing or MMA match or whatnot, are free to anyone with compatible equipment.
Steeve
Premium Member
join:2004-08-19

Steeve

Premium Member

The 3D channel only shows events after they have aired on the "regular" channels, so the opening ceremony was shown in 3D after it had aired on NBC. Interestingly, it omitted the commentary by the NBC announcers, which I think made it more enjoyable.

Jonboynyc
@rr.com

Jonboynyc to NYCPaul

Anon

to NYCPaul
I live in tribeca and get the exact same message on my 3dtv for channel 484. I keep trying again later and no dice. What should we do?

J
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

I am assuming you already have the free 3DTV code enabled by billing? This is separate from the $10 3Dtv ESPN package. This billing code is necessary for you to receive programming on 484 (and I think 483?) There is no charge. None.

If still getting the error message, call back to billing and make sure the code is enabled, or post in the Direct Forum.

Frustration
@verizon.net

Frustration

Anon

I live in NYC and am getting a similiar problem. A year ago I asked them to activate the channel (484) but it never worked. The screen says to receive the channel I have to call Custumer Care. I called them the other day and they sent a signal to my box but it didn't work. I just did an online chat now with them and they told me it was in the Sports Tier and I needed to buy a $5.95 package. I told them that this wasn't true and that the channel should be free. They looked into this further and finally said that I was correct. Here is the channel lineup link showing that it is part of Standard Service and the DTV Value Package (check the color codes) it case you have to convince them: »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· clu.ashx

The rep said that he removed and re-added the 3DTV and then "refreshed the services". I am not home right now so I will have to check it tonight. I will let you know tomorrow if it works but I'm not too optimistic.
NYCPaul
New York, NY

NYCPaul

My discussion with a rep admitted that they just don't have the bandwidth to transmit in 3D on 484. It took a lot of other explanations before the rep finally admitted that. But the problem continues. If Time Warner is not going to transmit in 3D on Channel 484, why do I hear Olympics audio? And why is the channel listed in their guide as "3DTV HD SDV - 2012 Olympics". SDV is described as Switched Digital Video - a method of saving bandwidth. Perhaps a techie out there could venture a guess on why I hear the audio but not receive the 3D video on 484 or if Time Warner just made a decision to not transmit 3D because of the other NBC channels transmitting 2D HD Olympics. I just wish Time Warner would post that they are NOT transmitting the delayed Olympics in 3D and take down channel 484.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by NYCPaul:

My discussion with a rep admitted that they just don't have the bandwidth to transmit in 3D on 484. It took a lot of other explanations before the rep finally admitted that. But the problem continues. If Time Warner is not going to transmit in 3D on Channel 484, why do I hear Olympics audio? And why is the channel listed in their guide as "3DTV HD SDV - 2012 Olympics". SDV is described as Switched Digital Video - a method of saving bandwidth. Perhaps a techie out there could venture a guess on why I hear the audio but not receive the 3D video on 484 or if Time Warner just made a decision to not transmit 3D because of the other NBC channels transmitting 2D HD Olympics. I just wish Time Warner would post that they are NOT transmitting the delayed Olympics in 3D and take down channel 484.

What cable box do you have? As far as I know, not all HD boxes are capable of 3D and no SD box is 3D capable. Your description (no video, but audio is playing) sounds like the channel is authorized but your box can't decode the video. Is your box one of these:
said by TWC :
To view Movies on Demand, Free On Demand or Special Events in 3D, you must have one of the following compatible set-top boxes:

Motorola: DCH 3200, DCX 3200,DCX 3200-M P1/P2, DCX3400, DCX3400-M
Samsung: 3050, 3090, 3260, 3262, 3270, 3272
Cisco/SA: 4250, 8240, 8300, 4640, 4642, 8640, 8642

To view Time Warner Cable 3D Pass, including ESPN 3D, you must have one of the following compatible set-top boxes:

Motorola: 3200 MOCA HD, 3510 MOCA HDDVR
Samsung: 3260 HD, 3262 MOCA HD, 3362 MOCA HD, 3270 HDDVR, 3272 MOCA HDDVR
Cisco: 4640 HD, 4642 MOCA HD, 8640 HDDVR, 8642 MOCA HDDVR, 4742 MOCA HD, 8742 MOCA HDDVR

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· xes-be-a
NYCPaul
New York, NY

NYCPaul

My box is on TWC's list of acceptable units - Cisco/SW 8300HD. I get 3D movies from Time Warner On Demand so I think the 484 Channel problem is caused by something else. Frankly, there are better sources of 3D programming than the Olympics. I'm just a tech nerd who wants to see broadcast 3D via NBC. There isn't that much of it around.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

I bet the channel is broadcast as MPEG4 or some other format not compatible with the 8300HD, just like ESPN 3D.

That's why some have gotten reports you need the 3D Pass package... It's compatible with the boxes issued for that particular package, which leave off some of the older boxes like the 8300.

You don't need to order that package, BUT you need a box compatible with that package.

Frustrated_
@verizon.net

Frustrated_ to NYCPaul

Anon

to NYCPaul
Maybe they are reserving the bandwith for their ESPN 3D channel (which costs $10 a month) or are afraid that it may slow down their system. It seems that the NYC customers are having a problem. Steve (in Rochester) says that his is working fine. By the way, I have watched the free On-Demand 3D shows on channel 1000 without a problem (in case you are interested, right now there are about 10 or so that are free and a dozen or so that you have to pay for). By the way, what do you see on channel 483 which is supposed to be a Pay-Per-View 3D channel? On mine there is a picture in the upper-right corner advertising 2D events. The bottom part of the screen doesn't show any available PPV events and says something about pressing "A" to review prior purchases but I have never ordered any. Do you see this also (TWC added channel 483 a year ago for me but 484 never worked)?
xntrk
join:2012-07-30

xntrk to DocDrew

to DocDrew
I Just called them and they told me that they just started having technical difficulties.... When I mentioned that people were complaining about it before the rep told me that it was working before.

If you are having this issue please post something on twitter to @TWCable_NYC @TWCableHelp. Maybe if we can make enough noise the problem will be fixed quickly

Frustrated__
@verizon.net

Frustrated__

Anon

DrDrew may be right. You may need a newer box. ESPN 3D requires one of the newer boxes since the 3D apparently uses a different format than the regular 3D movies on channel 1000. Maybe the 3D Olympics uses the same format as ESPN 3D. I have an older 8300, maybe that is why it would work for me. Steve, what model box to you have? Supposedly Special Events are supposed to work with the older boxes but maybe the 3D Olympics is the exception. Check out this forum, especially post 92:

»www.avsforum.com/t/13863 ··· sonic/90
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I have two Cisco 8642HDCs.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by NYCPaul:

What cable box do you have? As far as I know, not all HD boxes are capable of 3D and no SD box is 3D capable. Your description (no video, but audio is playing) sounds like the channel is authorized but your box can't decode the video. Is your box one of these:
said by TWC :
To view Movies on Demand, Free On Demand or Special Events in 3D, you must have one of the following compatible set-top boxes:

Motorola: DCH 3200, DCX 3200,DCX 3200-M P1/P2, DCX3400, DCX3400-M
Samsung: 3050, 3090, 3260, 3262, 3270, 3272
Cisco/SA: 4250, 8240, 8300, 4640, 4642, 8640, 8642

To view Time Warner Cable 3D Pass, including ESPN 3D, you must have one of the following compatible set-top boxes:

Motorola: 3200 MOCA HD, 3510 MOCA HDDVR
Samsung: 3260 HD, 3262 MOCA HD, 3362 MOCA HD, 3270 HDDVR, 3272 MOCA HDDVR
Cisco: 4640 HD, 4642 MOCA HD, 8640 HDDVR, 8642 MOCA HDDVR, 4742 MOCA HD, 8742 MOCA HDDVR

my boxes are DCX3400 and DCX3200 non Moca boxes and they get the Olympics 3D so they are able to get the MPEG4 stream. Also my TWC division still shows the DCX3200 and DCX3400 as being able to get ESPN3D. Also my box decodes ESPN3D as I can see the actual frequency of the channel in diagnostics menu.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS to NYCPaul

to NYCPaul
I found it in Dallas, there is no schedule info and they set the do not copy flagso it's watch live only, no record and watch later with cable card. More anti-competitive bs from TWC, i'll keep my TiVo and dump them before I accept their DVR.
ChilledCat
join:2012-08-02

ChilledCat to NYCPaul

to NYCPaul
said by NYCPaul:

I'm just a tech nerd who wants to see broadcast 3D via NBC. There isn't that much of it around.

Common complaint, is there's simply NO content.
The whole system as it's appearing today....is certainly doomed in the near future.

Until they address "glass-less" viewing -and- CONTENT , 3D will
NEVER be mainstream.
Steeve
Premium Member
join:2004-08-19

Steeve to PamelaTS

Premium Member

to PamelaTS
said by PamelaTS:

I found it in Dallas, there is no schedule info and they set the do not copy flagso it's watch live only, no record and watch later with cable card. More anti-competitive bs from TWC, i'll keep my TiVo and dump them before I accept their DVR.

I'm able to set timer to record the 3D channel on my Motorola box. Plays back perfectly.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

said by PamelaTS:

said by Steeve:

I'm able to set timer to record the 3D channel on my Motorola box. Plays back perfectly.

~~~~
Perhaps your Motorola box doesn't respect the copy protection bits, Copy once flag allows it to be recorded and played back. In Dallas They appear to be setting the no copy flag it may record but not play back.

Or is this Motorola box a TWC provided box, in which my first statement stand ANTI-COMPETITIVE BEHAVIOR prejudicing cable card users.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to PamelaTS

Premium Member

to PamelaTS
said by PamelaTS:

You do realize that even if the CCI byte is set to "copy never" recording is still allowed? It just auto deletes after 90 minutes and isn't transferable to another device besides the recorder.
»support.tivo.com/app/ans ··· a_id/243

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

Ah 90 minutes was unaware of that just knew was unable to watch and no it does not auto delete. Makes it impossible to watch recordings when I'm not home and can't get home in 90 minutes. That really bites. Another reason after the Olympics is done I'm gonna cancel TWC, the service is GARBAGE in Dallas!

I've had it with the outages two tuning adapters failed (in seven months), POOR SIGNAL delivery. Not worth the exorbitant price for lousy delivery, poorer yet customer service, anti-competitive attitude. The law may require them to make Cable Cards available, they clearly dislike it, always attempting to blame my TiVo despite my repeatedly showing them the DX results, it is their poor quality delivery. I was contemplating when my Clear contract was up switching, then I hear they are going to stop BYOB for internet (deal breaker in my book). Considering they can't deliver a consistent TV product I'm dubious about their ability to reliably deliver internet.

My TiVo works just fine OTA; which is reliable! And I save $100 p/m.

Frustrated__
@verizon.net

Frustrated__

Anon

I traded in my 8300 box for a 8642 DVR box. Now I can watch the Olympics in 3D. I was getting "To receive this channel, call customer care" which is different than what NYCPaul was getting but it may solve your problem. The salesman said that the 8300 boxes made starting in 2007 use a different technology so the 3D should work on it but he found a 8642 and gave me that one instead. My old box was made in 2006 I think. NYCPaul and Johnboynyc, how old are your boxes? Do you both have 8300's?

jonboynyc
@pacbell.net

jonboynyc

Anon

said by Frustrated__ :

I traded in my 8300 box for a 8642 DVR box. Now I can watch the Olympics in 3D. I was getting "To receive this channel, call customer care" which is different than what NYCPaul was getting but it may solve your problem. The salesman said that the 8300 boxes made starting in 2007 use a different technology so the 3D should work on it but he found a 8642 and gave me that one instead. My old box was made in 2006 I think. NYCPaul and Johnboynyc, how old are your boxes? Do you both have 8300's?

Thanks for the response. I just was given my 8300 box by TWC in NYC back in June when i got my new 3D HDTV, but i'm positive the cable box is a refurbished model because it is frankly SLOW as hell. I still am not receiving the 3D olympic channel, but again i can watch 3d pay per view movies and 3D HBO on Demand. So you are saying i need to exchange my box? The irony is that i will do this Saturday and the olympics are just about over.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Yep, as the 8300 does not support MPEG-4. TWC is broadcasting the 3D Olympic coverage in MPEG-4 and not MPEG-2 which is what 3D VOD is using.

jonboynyc
@pacbell.net

jonboynyc

Anon

well my 8300 is able to do 3D VOD on the HBO On demand channel 200 and channel 1000.

It just wont work with channel 484. So are we sure i need to swap boxes? Now especially that i missed the olympics anyway?

Frustrated_
@verizon.net

Frustrated_ to rv65

Anon

to rv65
The Olympics are almost over but you will be able to watch it in 3D on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Remember that there is a 24 hour delay when they broadcast the 3D as compared to the 2D. I am guessing that they will show the Closing Ceremonies on Monday and the guide shows a full day on Monday. The closing ceremonies should be cool in 3D. I heard that the Opening Ceremonies were pretty cool but I didn't see them since I only got my box last Saturday.

You may want to call the store before you decide to swap. At my store it took 2 people a total of 15 minutes to find a new 8642 (they had tons of 8300's). They said that they only give out 8300's but I insisted that I needed something newer to get the 3D. Someone else also mentioned that their store only had 1 of the newer DVR's boxes left. They don't seem to have or want to give out the newer boxes. If they give you a hard time tell them that you may want ESPN 3D which according to their website requires one of their newer boxes. Make sure you bring a printout from here:

Also, before I went to the store I called TWC and they made a note on my account saying that I needed a new box to watch the Olympics in 3D. Most people at TWC don't know this but I talked to a supervisor and he noted it. When I went to the store they read the notes. That in combination with the printout allowed me to convince them that I needed something better than a 8300.

TWC is clueless. I talked to 5 people over a few days and nobody could figure out why the 3D wasn't working. 2 of them had no solution, 2 of them said that I might need a new box and 1 of them said that I definitely needed a new box. I got my 8300 in either 2005 or 2006 and the supervisor at the store said that the ones made starting in 2007 should work with 3D but who knows (they don't...that's for sure).

When I change channels on the 8642, when it tries to pull up the new channel, the screen is frozen for about a half-second or so (likw when you pause a video) before the show starts moving. Is this normal for the 8642? It is a little annoying. The 8300 doesn't do this.

Frustratead_
@verizon.net

Frustratead_ to jonboynyc

Anon

to jonboynyc
said by jonboynyc :

well my 8300 is able to do 3D VOD on the HBO On demand channel 200 and channel 1000.

It just wont work with channel 484. So are we sure i need to swap boxes? Now especially that i missed the olympics anyway?

Yes you need the new box. I was able to watch 3D on channel 1000 also with the 8300. Apparently it uses the MPEG2 format whereas the Olympics and ESPN 3D uses MPEG4. Only the new boxes can handle MPEG4. Channel 484 kept saying "To receive this channel, call Customer Service". They tried removing and re-adding channel 484 several times but it wouldn't work with the 8300. As soon as I got the new box, it worked right away...I didn't even have to call them (I thought that I would have to). By the way, remember that you will lose all of your recordings when you swap boxes....there isn't a way to transfer them to the new box.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65 to Frustrated_

Premium Member

to Frustrated_
TWC has a patch that will fix the channel change behavior as well as the search function. This patch will come after the olympics.