PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to Steeve

Re: [TWC] Time Warner 3D broadcast of Olympics?? Where and when?

said by PamelaTS:

I found it in Dallas, there is no schedule info and they set the do not copy flagso it's watch live only, no record and watch later with cable card. More anti-competitive bs from TWC, i'll keep my TiVo and dump them before I accept their DVR.

said by Steeve:

I'm able to set timer to record the 3D channel on my Motorola box. Plays back perfectly.

~~~~
Perhaps your Motorola box doesn't respect the copy protection bits, Copy once flag allows it to be recorded and played back. In Dallas They appear to be setting the no copy flag it may record but not play back.

Or is this Motorola box a TWC provided box, in which my first statement stand ANTI-COMPETITIVE BEHAVIOR prejudicing cable card users.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.07NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.31 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to PamelaTS

said by PamelaTS:

I found it in Dallas, there is no schedule info and they set the do not copy flagso it's watch live only, no record and watch later with cable card. More anti-competitive bs from TWC, i'll keep my TiVo and dump them before I accept their DVR.

You do realize that even if the CCI byte is set to "copy never" recording is still allowed? It just auto deletes after 90 minutes and isn't transferable to another device besides the recorder.
»support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

Ah 90 minutes was unaware of that just knew was unable to watch and no it does not auto delete. Makes it impossible to watch recordings when I'm not home and can't get home in 90 minutes. That really bites. Another reason after the Olympics is done I'm gonna cancel TWC, the service is GARBAGE in Dallas!

I've had it with the outages two tuning adapters failed (in seven months), POOR SIGNAL delivery. Not worth the exorbitant price for lousy delivery, poorer yet customer service, anti-competitive attitude. The law may require them to make Cable Cards available, they clearly dislike it, always attempting to blame my TiVo despite my repeatedly showing them the DX results, it is their poor quality delivery. I was contemplating when my Clear contract was up switching, then I hear they are going to stop BYOB for internet (deal breaker in my book). Considering they can't deliver a consistent TV product I'm dubious about their ability to reliably deliver internet.

My TiVo works just fine OTA; which is reliable! And I save $100 p/m.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.07NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Clear Modem series G

Frustrated__

@verizon.net

I traded in my 8300 box for a 8642 DVR box. Now I can watch the Olympics in 3D. I was getting "To receive this channel, call customer care" which is different than what NYCPaul was getting but it may solve your problem. The salesman said that the 8300 boxes made starting in 2007 use a different technology so the 3D should work on it but he found a 8642 and gave me that one instead. My old box was made in 2006 I think. NYCPaul and Johnboynyc, how old are your boxes? Do you both have 8300's?

jonboynyc

@pacbell.net

said by Frustrated__ :

I traded in my 8300 box for a 8642 DVR box. Now I can watch the Olympics in 3D. I was getting "To receive this channel, call customer care" which is different than what NYCPaul was getting but it may solve your problem. The salesman said that the 8300 boxes made starting in 2007 use a different technology so the 3D should work on it but he found a 8642 and gave me that one instead. My old box was made in 2006 I think. NYCPaul and Johnboynyc, how old are your boxes? Do you both have 8300's?

Thanks for the response. I just was given my 8300 box by TWC in NYC back in June when i got my new 3D HDTV, but i'm positive the cable box is a refurbished model because it is frankly SLOW as hell. I still am not receiving the 3D olympic channel, but again i can watch 3d pay per view movies and 3D HBO on Demand. So you are saying i need to exchange my box? The irony is that i will do this Saturday and the olympics are just about over.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1

Yep, as the 8300 does not support MPEG-4. TWC is broadcasting the 3D Olympic coverage in MPEG-4 and not MPEG-2 which is what 3D VOD is using.

jonboynyc

@pacbell.net

well my 8300 is able to do 3D VOD on the HBO On demand channel 200 and channel 1000.

It just wont work with channel 484. So are we sure i need to swap boxes? Now especially that i missed the olympics anyway?

Frustrated_

@verizon.net
reply to rv65

The Olympics are almost over but you will be able to watch it in 3D on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Remember that there is a 24 hour delay when they broadcast the 3D as compared to the 2D. I am guessing that they will show the Closing Ceremonies on Monday and the guide shows a full day on Monday. The closing ceremonies should be cool in 3D. I heard that the Opening Ceremonies were pretty cool but I didn't see them since I only got my box last Saturday.

You may want to call the store before you decide to swap. At my store it took 2 people a total of 15 minutes to find a new 8642 (they had tons of 8300's). They said that they only give out 8300's but I insisted that I needed something newer to get the 3D. Someone else also mentioned that their store only had 1 of the newer DVR's boxes left. They don't seem to have or want to give out the newer boxes. If they give you a hard time tell them that you may want ESPN 3D which according to their website requires one of their newer boxes. Make sure you bring a printout from here:
»www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/sit···xes-be-a

Also, before I went to the store I called TWC and they made a note on my account saying that I needed a new box to watch the Olympics in 3D. Most people at TWC don't know this but I talked to a supervisor and he noted it. When I went to the store they read the notes. That in combination with the printout allowed me to convince them that I needed something better than a 8300.

TWC is clueless. I talked to 5 people over a few days and nobody could figure out why the 3D wasn't working. 2 of them had no solution, 2 of them said that I might need a new box and 1 of them said that I definitely needed a new box. I got my 8300 in either 2005 or 2006 and the supervisor at the store said that the ones made starting in 2007 should work with 3D but who knows (they don't...that's for sure).

When I change channels on the 8642, when it tries to pull up the new channel, the screen is frozen for about a half-second or so (likw when you pause a video) before the show starts moving. Is this normal for the 8642? It is a little annoying. The 8300 doesn't do this.

Frustratead_

@verizon.net
reply to jonboynyc

said by jonboynyc :

well my 8300 is able to do 3D VOD on the HBO On demand channel 200 and channel 1000.

It just wont work with channel 484. So are we sure i need to swap boxes? Now especially that i missed the olympics anyway?

Yes you need the new box. I was able to watch 3D on channel 1000 also with the 8300. Apparently it uses the MPEG2 format whereas the Olympics and ESPN 3D uses MPEG4. Only the new boxes can handle MPEG4. Channel 484 kept saying "To receive this channel, call Customer Service". They tried removing and re-adding channel 484 several times but it wouldn't work with the 8300. As soon as I got the new box, it worked right away...I didn't even have to call them (I thought that I would have to). By the way, remember that you will lose all of your recordings when you swap boxes....there isn't a way to transfer them to the new box.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
reply to Frustrated_

TWC has a patch that will fix the channel change behavior as well as the search function. This patch will come after the olympics.