spc
uniqs

wopatoolie
@sbcglobal.net

wopatoolie to qualitybobby

Anon

to qualitybobby

Re: Mists of Pandaria relase date announced

this is probably the biggest joke i have seen from blizzard yet. yes i know its official. but the beta is still so unfinished and such a huge mess that i dont see this going well, unless they plan to release it unfinished purposely in order to get people going on it, then after its release giving you a huge patch right away. i have been involved in 3 different betas from their beginnings: EQ2, Rift, and Star Wars...Rift and SW being completely new games; EQ2 - was never a huge fan but it was fun to see the evolution of this game as far as graphics with 2, it went rather smoothly. Rift and SW were completely new games, from scratch - by 2mos to release all they really had to do was clean a few things up, and considering the hype of them they did well enough. but this MoP is a wreck. 3mos before release they closed off the only area near done to revamp it, and less than 2mos to release its still closed; meanwhile, they bump everyone up to lvl 86 in order to allow them to continue lvling in other areas that arent close to being finished.

they have enough room in this expac to make max lvl 95 yet arent doing that, some areas open to lvl 90 toons dont even have any random roaming creatures/critters, many CRITTERS are tameable by hunters, which makes no sense (caterpillars are labeled as boars, etc), talents are constantly being changed on a nearly weekly basis, and theres absolutely no distinction between the 3dif specs of some classes any more (hunters specifically - at least with classes like mages and DKs you can still tell what their specs are simply by watching them), professions arent finished for all and are constantly being changed, gear and drops arent anywhere near being finished as far as 'of the boar' or 'of the tiger' etc, dungeons and raids are buggy as hell still, pvp is a joke (i personally would rather do bg's than raids, and this is a big letdown).... i guess i could go on, but you get the idea. handing over control of development of MoP to a 10yr old shows that they have either completely caved to desire for new child players (which, as the kids grow into it, will make them run from it faster as it wont be sophisticated enough for them any more), or activision has such an inept hand in this that they are deliberately trashing what was a good game. i think with this expac they have finally given me an excuse to tell them goodbye

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

said by wopatoolie :

For those interested in a TL;DR: blah blah blah

Blizzard has a huge tendency to let the PTR (beta or otherwise) sit several "releases" behind. Every expansion release cycle I've been a part of (protip: all of them) they are constantly getting confused at player feedback because the problems reported daily were fixed in an internal build weeks ago...

I'm a software developer (albeit a terrible one) and when I'm going through a development cycle, especially when doing bug fixes, I'm constantly fixing issues that don't make it to the user test environment because that takes time I'd rather spend on getting it right. So I may have 3-5 "releases" sitting out in our development environment that the user has NO idea what's been fixed. Then all of a sudden I take the hour or so to update the test build... this process is infinitely more complex for Blizzard, so I can't fault them for not putting nightlies out.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to wopatoolie

Premium Member

to wopatoolie
tl;dr - The beta is a beta.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Well remember Cata, and the 4.0 live?

suddenly they realized that they had to fix the live game because they hadn't fixed in in beta/ptr.

so for maybe a day on live servers fire maged were wildly powerful more so than frost or arcane, so they nerfed the spec bomuses for all 3 with fire getting a double nerf.

I fully expect day1 of 5.0 to be a cluster f***

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

I find it easier to just expect that any major patch day (and doubly so for expansion patch day) will be a cluster f#ck and that servers will be unstable and there will be another mini patch within 12 hours to fix something that slipped through.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Day 1 of any Blizzard release is always a cluster f***. Pandas are no exception.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to qualitybobby

Premium Member

to qualitybobby
said by qualitybobby:

I find it easier to just expect that any major patch day (and doubly so for expansion patch day) will be a cluster f#ck and that servers will be unstable and there will be another mini patch within 12 hours to fix something that slipped through.

Well I to expect patchdays to have mini-patches soon after but I expect Xpak patches to have far more.

I expect the first week of 5.0 will be flooded with patches and not just in duskwood.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by DarkLogix:

Day 1 of any Blizzard release is always a cluster f***. Pandas are no exception.

5.0 isn't MoP its the pre-MoP patch MoP will likely be something like 5.0.5

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Aight. Day 1 of any Blizzard release or major content patch is always a cluster f***. Fixed?