Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

[rant] [OT] New Mac ads suck

»www.apple.com/mac/videos ··· s-mayday

Nothing funny, nothing compelling, horribly tedious...ad firm needs to be fired yesterday.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

It reminded me a little of the Dell Dude.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
They weren't that bad, the guy playing the Genius was charismatic enough. Still better than most of the commercials I've seen for Microsoft, Dell, HP, HTC, Samsung, etc. Google does make good commercials... but they seem to borrow heavily from Apple's old style.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Hell even the new IE commercials are better. I think they should have gone the iPad commercial route where you can see why you would want it. These commercials don't show you the product, they don't show you anything. Let's see these cards...let's see these coffee table books, let's see how easy it is to edit with iMovie...

If I'm spending $1000-$2500 on a machine, I'm not taking some dork in a blue shirt's word for it.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to skeechan

to skeechan
Bring back Hodgman.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
It points out how helpful Apple's geniuses are. Buying a Mac compuater is like buying an Audi or a Lexus or any other high-end car in that not only is the product itself great but the support behind it is great as well. I can't tell you how many times I've sent relatives to the genius bars at the closest Apple store because I was tired of walking them through stuff over the phone and the genius was able to help them.

The next set of commercials will probably highlight something about Mountain Lion.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

It reminded me a little of the Dell Dude.

If that's the case, then please remind the guy in the commercials not to try to buy weed.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan
Why do folks get wound up about commercials? Do they influence what you buy? If Apple puts out a commercial you don't like do you then not buy the product?

I'm lost on this one.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

No, I won't. In fact I saw a crappy iPod commercial once and ran out and bought 29 Zunes...all in brown. Then I kicked my dog and broke the controller to my Neo Geo...on purpose mind you.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by skeechan:

No, I won't. In fact I saw a crappy iPod commercial once and ran out and bought 29 Zunes...all in brown. Then I kicked my dog and broke the controller to my Neo Geo...on purpose mind you.

LOL, awesome.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to skeechan

to skeechan
I think they were alright. They seem to be selling ease of use, and service after the sale instead of actual product this time around. Good move in my opinion.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Apple makes people seem like clueless idiots in the ads. They should have had the people asking smarter questions in smarter situations, and then have the blue guy providing smart solutions.

I think very few people are willing to look at the morons being depicted as consumers in the ads as being proxies for themselves.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

So says the Apple hater every chance he gets.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

I didn't know I'd ever said this before.

You're not my wife in disguise are you? She always seems to know what I've said and what I think, even before I've said it or thought it at times.

EricIndiana
@comcast.net

EricIndiana to skeechan

Anon

to skeechan
I agree - my son & I have been complaining about the new ads for weeks now. They are too mainstream/typical. Not funny, edgy or clever. Really aiming for the unhip crowd. Maybe due to the success of Apple products among the non-artist/creative/hipster/smart set.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to skeechan

to skeechan
Who still watches commercials?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Agreed! I saw one today and it DID suck IMO.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

You guys must be Apple haters!

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

It points out how helpful Apple's geniuses are. Buying a Mac computer is like buying an Audi or a Lexus or any other high-end car in that not only is the product itself great but the support behind it is great as well. I can't tell you how many times I've sent relatives to the genius bars at the closest Apple store because I was tired of walking them through stuff over the phone and the genius was able to help them.

I called my local genius bar about my earbuds and they said I had to make an appointment. I then tried to figure out a time (I'm half an hour north of Temecula) and then blew it off.

So I guess appointments aren't needed in-flight.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

My local Apple Stores changed how you get checked in and called up. It used to be the LCD "TVs" behind the bar showed the names of those checked in and what order you are in. You could wander around until you got to the top of the list. It was always very well organized, even when the stores are swamped as they normally are here.

Now you just have to stand around the bar and hover and hope they know which person you are. They don't even have a designated area to wait despite the bar being a good 20 feet long. It's really lame and a hassle to get in and out these days.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Andy from CA

Premium Member

to Andy from CA
Been to Temecula many times! Grandparents lived off Chapparral Dr. Love the vineyards there.

Anyways - yeah they do have appointments but at least they're generally pretty close to being on-time in my experience in Atlanta, Charlotte and Greensboro. Took my grandfather's MacBook Pro to the Apple Store you are close to Andy when my grandmother put one of those business-card sized CDs into it and got it stuck. They had it in there for months saying they figured out there was no way to ever fix the computer. The genius fixed it for me without charging me anything. Yes I did have to wait a bit though
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to skeechan

to skeechan
Ads killed.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
»news.cnet.com/8301-17852 ··· ius-ads/

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Yay. Someone at Apple isn't eating Crayons after all.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Microsoft's IE9 commercial was better than this batch.