Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3

2 recommendations

An Interesting Collection of Florida Imagery.

From the State of Florida Division of Libaray & Information Services.

»www.floridamemory.com/

Saint Augustine Alligator Farm employee Eleana Link using gator to power her canoe.

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit
Great site! The Weeki Wachee spring video and the footage of Fireball Roberts winning Daytona brought back memories of South Florida in the '60s. Mom and Dad saw the water shows, and I remember when we could actually get into the pits at Daytona.

Miami in the '60s was fun. You could catch Jackie Gleason at the Miami Beach Auditorium, and Sinatra and crowd at the Fountainbleau or Eden Roc. (I couldn't afford the tickets for those, and never brought dress-up clothes anyway). There was the boardwalk at the Fountainbleau and jazz cubs on Collins, and the beach was full of cute girls mixed in with women wearing full makeup and jewelry while sunning themselves.

There used to be handball courts at the park near the auditorium, but now it's all shopping malls. We stayed at an older place way down Collins called the St. Moritz. It was cheap and clean, and you could see the old guys playing pinochle on the front veranda almost every day.

There was a deli in North Miami beach called Rascals or rascal house, way up Collins as I recall. It was open all night and you got the best corned beef sandwiches anyone could make, and all the tables had endless vegetable and relish bowls. I think it closed in the '90s.

Great days, fondly remembered. Thanks for the link!