uniqs
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

FiOS Olympics OnDemand query

I'm hoping that someone might do me a big favor...

I have a hearing loss and need closed captions to make programming accessible.

I'm guessing that FiOS OnDemand will have Olympic programming--for example, the opening ceremony.

If that is an accurate guess, would someone be willing, please, to turn on closed captioning (not sure how that's done on a FiOS system) and go into OnDemand and see if any of the OnDemand Olympic programming is closed captioned (the opening ceremony if there would do) and then let me know? It could be that there will be the "cc" logo somewhere in the description for the OnDemand program indicating that it is closed captioned but it would be helpful to me if someone would watch a few minutes of the program to make sure it is closed captioned.

I have Comcast (ugh! but will be staying with it for reasons too long to go into here) and none of their Olympic OnDemand programming is closed captioned which, given that it's Comcast, is not all that surprising but it is very frustrating and annoying.

I may file an FCC complaint against Comcast about this--the FCC is useless but it will require Comcast to respond--and it would be useful to know of FiOS OnDemand Olympic programming is closed captioned.

Thanks much!

Terrie

Gnoswal
Premium Member
join:2002-12-07
united state

Gnoswal

Premium Member

I checked out a few of the on-demand Olympic offerings and there are no closed captions on any that I've come across(they are there on live showings though).
I have FIOS in the suburban Phila area.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to tlbepson

to tlbepson
Don't blame this on the service provider -- the content provider (in this case NBC Universal aka Comcast) does the closed captioning, not the service provider.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson to Gnoswal

Premium Member

to Gnoswal
>>gnoswal: I checked out a few of the on-demand Olympic offerings and there are no closed captions on any that I've come across...

Thank you *very* much for taking the time to check for me. I really appreciate it.

>>(they are there on live showings though).

Yes...all of the Olympic programming (live or tape delay--not OnDemand) are captioned on Comcast also...

Thanks also for telling me your viewing area...
tlbepson

tlbepson to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
>>pjl: Don't blame this on the service provider -- the content provider (in this case NBC Universal aka Comcast) does the closed captioning, not the service provider.

I know that the service provider does not do the closed captioning and that's why I wanted someone on FiOS to check for me. With Gnoswal's reply, I now know that it's NBC that is not "passing" the captions into their OnDemand programming. As you noted, since NBC is now Comcast, in the end it's still an issue with Comcast and Comcast has a consistently poor reputation when it comes to making sure that closed captioning displays properly (or at all)--they don't even caption their own tv ads (Verizon does).
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to Gnoswal

to Gnoswal
said by Gnoswal:

I checked out a few of the on-demand Olympic offerings and there are no closed captions on any that I've come across(they are there on live showings though).
I have FIOS in the suburban Phila area.

I'm in VHO7 and can't seem to locate any of the Olympic on demand. It's not under NBC
xocsucram
join:2008-10-02

xocsucram to tlbepson

to tlbepson
you can go to nbc's Olympics website and watch full live or replays of every event/game on demand but you have to sign in to your TV/ISPs account, similar to WatchESPN and need MSNBC and CNBC in your TV package to access it

»www.nbcolympics.com/vide ··· sReplays
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to skohly

to skohly
In VHO3 it's under Free, All Free A-Z.
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly

said by PJL:

In VHO3 it's under Free, All Free A-Z.

Yup- tks, got it
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to tlbepson

to tlbepson
I would be shocked if the FCC required content providers to CC their On Demand content. From what I read, it is only required of new programming. On Demand being a rebroadcast would not qualify as new IMHO.
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>crgauth: I would be shocked if the FCC required content providers to CC their On Demand content.

Well...be shocked then...'-}}

FCC regulations require that any programming that is closed captioned during "regular" broadcast must also be closed captioned OnDemand.

>>From what I read, it is only required of new programming.

You may be confusing that with the exception to the requirement for closed captioning on new tv channels--as in a new broadcaster. For example, the new Aspire network has no closed captioning on any of their programs (mostly reruns of old stuff) and they can legally do that for a period of time (can't remember the time frame) because they are a new broadcaster.
tlbepson

tlbepson

Premium Member

Yes...I know I'm talking to myself...'-}}

Just thought I'd post that I found 2 Olympic OnDemand programs that were closed captioned. I'm going to going to see if I can find more.

How to you know you have a hearing loss? When you will watch Olympic OnDemand boxing (beach volleyball, water polo, wrestling--choose the sport that bores you most) because it's closed captioned...'-}}

True story: I have watch informercials for stuff I would never, ever, ever buy just because they were closed captioned...'-}}

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to tlbepson

to tlbepson
This thread should be closed as I think we all agree the on-demand content is from the networks (including cc bits). Just meh 2 cents...
tlbepson
Premium Member
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

>>bohratom:This thread should be closed as I think we all agree the on-demand content is from the networks (including cc bits).

The source of OnDemand programming was never the question...