Here is what my problem.....

Two Wireless Routers WRT350N
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) mini-usb-ftp

One SBG6580 Cable Modem
Standard Specification Compliant : DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version : 2
Software Version : SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-90-058-NOSH

Here is my problem...

I have an Office router WRT350N Back part of my house where I have a small office IP 192.168.2.1 and I also have a Home router WRT350N IP 192.168.1.1 for my cable box, Apple TV, Laptops in the house. Office Router is mostly for two computers, one laptop, one VOIP box, Xbox in garage and a storage server.

Now I have both routers as Wireless AP's since the Home wireless router doesn't reach the back office and its handy having the office with wireless for laptop and iPhone. The Office Router and the Home Router have a direct connection to the Motorola SBG6580 Cable Modem and the modem is DHCP enabled (since I only get one IP from my provider) and both WRT350N's are setup as Gateways, Home having an WAN IP of 192.168.0.3 and Office WAN IP of 192.168.0.2 and SBG6580 Modem 192.168.0.1

My problem is I can't set a static route on the SBG6580 so the HOME router can see the OFFICE router. Both networks don't see each other.

ANY help is MUCH appreciated BUT please understand that this setup is convenient for me since I work from home ½ the time so I don't want to just run one router and I need both WRT350N's to have the Wireless option for convenience. Thank You for ANY help.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Is there any particular reason why you're running 3 seperate networks?

Is it possible to stretch a cable from one of the LAN ports on your primary router to the LAN port of your secondary router?

This would be the perferred method. Then, on the secondary router, you'd disable DHCP and the like. Set the SSID and encryption type and keys to the same as your primary router. But set a different channel (for non-802.11n stuff channels 1, 6 and 11 are best).

While you're doing all this, put the modem into bridge mode and let your primary router do all the heavy lifting.

If you can't run a cable to your secondary router, how about using some HomePlug A/V gear to stretch that area? Or maybe putting DD-WRT on your secondary router so it can act as a bridge/repeater? Or getting a gaming adapter, attaching that to your wireless network from your primary router and plugging it into the LAN interface of your secondary router?

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to SafeJunk

to SafeJunk
Just to clarify, do you want the home network to be able to see the office network, but not vise versa? Or do you want both networks to be able to see both networks?

If it's the first, read this post on how to configure a VLAN on the 4th port, then plug in the 2nd router to the 4th port and set it to bridge mode. With this setup you can also set the modem in to bridge mode so you don't have multiple NATs.

If it's the second, then there's no need for multiple networks, just set both routers into bridge mode.
SafeJunk
join:2012-07-28
La Habra, CA

SafeJunk to ke4pym

to ke4pym
Not really 3 networks, the Modem network is to serve internet traffic, the other two are separate (which is my problem) Stretching the cable is what I had from my Home router to the Office router but that just lets me see the office network from the home.. and not vice-versa, its also slower for the home network getting to the internet.. now that I switched that cable to to into the Modem, things are much faster. Its much nicer (it seems) to have both routers connected to the modem, but now the home network doesnt see the office network where the printer and storage server are.
SafeJunk

SafeJunk to Suit Up

to Suit Up
I actually would prefer that both networks see each other.... the home network accessing the office and office the home. I don't really want multiple NAT's so I thought about setting both routers to ROUTER mode instead of GATEWAY, but then I couldn't get to the internet

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up

OK. Then basically you just want to set up both computers as a wireless Access Point. So neither one provides DHCP as they get that from the modem.
SafeJunk
join:2012-07-28
La Habra, CA

SafeJunk

I'm sorry to make this complicated... lol
I like the routers to have DHCP because I can set Access Restrictions to 3 teenagers and DD-WRT has great features for that.
As you can see the 2nd Router (AP) is connected to the 1st Main router... my 2nd AP is directly connected to the Modem and it provides greater internet speed that way...

I had it setup like the picture but with this new modem providing several ports... my home internet is much faster now.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

If it's properly configured it shouldn't be slower. Just set up one of the routers as a Wireless AP, making sure you turned off DHCP and plugged the ethernet connecting the two into LAN ports, not their WAN port (you can do it through the AP's WAN port but that makes it more complicated and you only have 2 computers to attach anyway so you don't need the extra port). Then the main router will send the DHCP and provide the access restrictions for the devices connecting to the AP one. And you'll want to set the modem to not provide DHCP.