spc
uniqs

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

mb6 to andyross

to andyross

Re: SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12)

How many different versions of the firmware has Comcast pushed out. In Northwest NJ with a Performance tier I got this:

SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6120_silverpboost_c01.cm

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mb6:

How many different versions of the firmware has Comcast pushed out. In Northwest NJ with a Performance tier I got this:

That is a config file, not a firmware update. If I remember correctly how Comcast names their config files, that is a DOCSIS 1.1, "silver" speed tier with PowerBoost enabled, and a single IP address. I don't know what Comcast currently considers the "silver" speed tier, but back when I had Comcast residential HSI, it was 4mbps downstream (at my location...YMMV).

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to mb6

MVM

to mb6
said by mb6:

In Northwest NJ with a Performance tier I got this:

I saw the same line (except it has "sb6121") in my SB6121's log file, here in Central NJ, when it was updated with the new firmware early Friday morning.

I'm on the Performance tier and get 16/2 sustained, 25/4 with PowerBoost.

Don't know what difference there might be in the config files for these 2 similar models. Even the firmware version is the same for both (using just "SB612X" in its filename).

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
The naming convention reuses names. Disregard the "D1.1" in the name. It is not a DOCSIS 1.1 config. file.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

The naming convention reuses names. Disregard the "D1.1" in the name. It is not a DOCSIS 1.1 config. file.

So in other words, these days only a Comcast network engineer has a clue as to what any given config file does?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Well; yes!
We noticed this reusing of config names when Comcast took over former Adelphia areas that were already DOCSIS 2.0. We were seeing nothing but "D1.1" naming in our config files, but in actuality they were D2.0 files. This "reusing" of existing names continues.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to NetFixer

to NetFixer
The way I see it, the network people know what the file does because they can see what is in it. It is the customer who just sees the name and hasn't a clue.